How temperatures affect power consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How temperatures affect power consumption

I made a video about this subject yesterday. Someone out there might find it interesting.

I expected the results but always good to know for sure! Good vid Cyclops.
    My Imgur

Comment

Good video sir !
      3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

So good cooling pays for itself after 1 year with ontario hydro prices!
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Haha yes... tell that to air cooling guys with temps in the 80s!!

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
            So good cooling pays for itself after 1 year with ontario hydro prices!
            Counter balance that with the good fans you need for rads. My GPUs never hit 40C, but there are 17 good fans on my rads. I'm guessing it all balances out in the end. We do get arse raped for power in Ontario though!

Comment

Very interesting Cyclops. I've never heard of this until now. I should try testing that with my 780 on air. I've got a electricity usage monitor too from when I was buying a UPS. I wish the UPS software was more reliable for those readings

Comment

OOOOOOkkkaayy. I got off my ass and did the test to collaborate. Like I said I was gonna do. Pics up soon

Comment

Good tech.
                  Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                  OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                  Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I did some testing of my own here. In the name of science and boredom. I said I would try this about 5 months ago, so here it is. Pretty much confirms Cyclops' observation.

Tried as much as possible to be consistent with the Video. Furmark is run for 45 mins. Temps and power consumption is recorded before the computer is turned on, While the computer is idle/cold and finally after the 45 min Furmark test. For the readings I'm using the RioRand Power Meter and just for kicks, I took the readings from the UPS display to see how accurate it is.

Lets see how much power this old and inefficient system uses.

Specs
                    CPU: AMD FX 9370 (Stock)
                    GPU: Zotac GTX 780
                    RAM: 16 GB G Skill Ripjaws 1600 Mhz
                    MB: Asus M5A99FX Pro R 2.0
                    PSU: Corsair RM 750 (Gold Efficiency)

This is my Command Center. Everything here is plugged into the UPS then to power meter. Except the desk fan.

This image shows the draw while computer was off. The only thing drawing power was the Router and perhaps the monitors on standby.

Here we have the computer sitting idle right after login. The numbers are different but they were fluctuating very rapidly as the CPU did back ground tasks. They were pretty much ballpark of each other though.

42 mins of power on idle, if power goes out.

These are the readings before the test.

1:25 mins into test

The Readings on Meter at start of test

about 45 mins later. This is what the sensors read

Here's the heated power draw of the System

So yeah. About 30-35W +/- extra draw for a single card system. That's quite a bit.
                    Last edited by MemBusX; 01-25-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Science

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X