Cable sleeving problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable sleeving problem

I've bought an EVGA 850 G2 power supply because of the good reviews it had and the very good deal I had on it. I was gonna sleeve the modular cable but when I began the process, I saw that there are capacitors crimped directly on the wires, close to 24pins going to the motherboard. I don't know if this is also true for other cables but I suspect that the pcie power could be the same. It's the first time I see something like that. The capacitors are hiden in the heatshrink holding the sleeving to the wires.
    Then I saw cablemod makes a cable set for this power supply, already sleeved with paracord, and in different colors so, since it saves me a lot of work, I ordered a kit.
    I posted this information for you guys so that you know what to expect if you buy this power supply and intend to sleeve it.

I really hate when they do stupid shit like that.
    Most of us would just remove the capacitors, in order to custom sleeve.
    I bought the older version of this PSU because it has 24 pin to 24 pin, not 24 to 18 and 10, and no capacitors.
    Seems like EVGA moved backwards on this PSU release.
    Last edited by Hooded; 12-30-2014, 12:08 PM.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Well, after inspection of the pcie cables, I confirm that there also is a capacitor hidden in the heatshrink.
      Hopefully, my new cables should ship today.

Comment

very cool. I wanna see some pics of these new Cablemod cables... they sound sweet!
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

I had my cables done by Ensourced for my EVGA 850 G2 and of course the capacitors are gone and the PSU work perfectly so you should have no problems with your customs cables when they arrive.
          Luc

Orchid (Corsair-Crystal-570X)
          Silent Watcher (be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900)
          Eclipse (Parvum L1.0)
          Northern Lights (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe)
          Lady Sif (EK-Vulture)
          Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)

Comment

The capacitors are mostly so that they do better in review testing.. They really don't make enough difference in use, and every modder I have seen has removed them with no ill-effect.
            DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

And the proof of that is that the sleeved cable set that EVGA sells for their power supply does'nt have these capacitors. So I think this is telling everything.

Comment

Working...
              X