Pump questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pump questions

I'm just trying to expand my knowledge of liquid cooling. I have seen a few loops with a pump under the reservoir and another pump in the same loop. I wanted to know if that okay to do? in my mind I'm thinking that must put addeded stress on pump. Any insight would be great.

Two identical pumps working together is just fine. The performance difference it typically pretty negligible but creates a form of redundancy.
    Corsair 800D
    2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
    Software Developer

Comment

Agreed with Izerous. As long as they are the same models of pumps running at the same speed, there will be no undue stress on either, and if one fails, the other will continue to run.
      DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Agreed, I would always use the same pumps on the same speeds.
        My Imgur

Comment

I did exactly that in an older build a couple years ago. one before the rad and one after. I don't think I gained much as far as performance but it worked great regardless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-q4Cbhx7-L.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	76986

Comment

Like everyone else said, you'd gain negligible performance but if one pump fails, it wouldn't be catastrophic.

Comment

Don't do it. unless you have to separate loops.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

I have dual pump tops but is for redundancy, never tried running 2 pumps in the same loop in different locations would see no use in that and may cause problems down the road idea less you used check valves then maybe be ok. If you really wanted two pumps then use a dual pump top and same model pumps as the others have mentioned already.
                Blackout
                Something-New
                Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Originally posted by nass View Post
                  I have dual pump tops but is for redundancy, never tried running 2 pumps in the same loop in different locations would see no use in that and may cause problems down the road idea less you used check valves then maybe be ok. If you really wanted two pumps then use a dual pump top and same model pumps as the others have mentioned already.
                  Totally agreed! Better space efficiency that way too; much less piping and clutter than 2 separate pumps.

Comment

Working...
                  X