This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crude Molex to Terminal Block Conversion for 5 Volt Led's

Little tutorial on making a terminal block conversion. Lets get to it, first off assemble a few tools that you will need. I have way too many here but this is just a start to what you should slowly acquire for some wire modding.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1494.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	79350

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	79351

Name:	IMG_1496.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	79352
    Next 2 are the terminal block I picked up, don't have to worry about current draw because the Led's have very low consumption. Next 2 images will be the pinout configuration of the molex connector. Click image for larger version

Name:	images (25).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	79353Click image for larger version

Name:	molex.gif
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	79354 As you can see we are going to focus on the Red +5 volt and the black ground next to it. First thing to do is get a good location for the block itself making sure that all your cables will reach. Will take off for 20 minutes to do a little more and post a few more pics since there is a 5 image limit.
    Last edited by DazMode; 05-22-2013, 12:26 AM.
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Started with the power from the psu molex wires, removed the red 5 volt line and ground using one of Daz's nice molex tools. Stripped the wires back and crimped on a few terminals, then attached it to opposite sides of the strip. Note that I am using 2 different colours, I think it is a must because it is too easy to mix up the connections otherwise. I don't have any Led's so I have butchered a virgin Corsair psu molex line to mimic the black leads from the Led's ( take that Corsair Tom )

That's my 5 pics again, I'll be back
    Last edited by DazMode; 05-22-2013, 12:25 AM.
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Nice stuff man , thanks for this.
      Nova Stryker / Asus Z77 Sabertooth | Intel 3770K | Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 32Gb | Crucial M5 240Gb | WD Black | Asus R9 390 Strix | CM Storm Stryker | BP Summit EF
      Nova Polaris / Asus Maximus Gene VIII | Intel 6600K | Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16Gb | Intel M2 240Gb | Toshiba 2tb | EVGA GF 1070 | Fractal Node 804 | Swiftech Apogee XL2

Comment

Pics not working in the 2nd post for me....

Comment

That's strange, it shows up as 5 attachments to me. I don't even see where to put in an attachment let alone know how to do it correctly. Maybe one of the guys can figure it out, will post them again right now and will make one more post to wrap it up. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1497.jpg
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	75374Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	75375Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	75376Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	75377Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1504.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	75378

Comment

i think attachments are broke, i was trying a few times and the only way to do it is

click the insert image and it will give you a different option to upload

Comment

OK now on to the Led wires, first off do not just go cutting the wires willy nilly like. Cut all the black wires from the molex connector or remove them with the proper molex tool, next put on a piece of shrink tubing and slide it down and out of the way, proceed to strip the wire and crimp on a non-insulated terminal. Slide up the shrink heat and voila you have one cable, note that you should use the same colour for all the black ground lines. It is important because the leads are not interchangeble due to a diodes resistance to reverse electron flow. Then repeat process for leads that go to positive side of Led using a different colour shrink tube. It is an easy process to just attach connectors to proper side being colour coded. Sorry about the poor images and of course you noticed that the power feed is using insulated connectors, I personally think that the heat shrink is far superior not counting how poorly I crimped them on. I hope that helps, feel free to ask questions because someone around here can usually answer it. Just don't ask me about anything to do with software because i'm just a total moron when it comes to that shite !

Comment

+1 Stuck
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                  That's strange, it shows up as 5 attachments to me. I don't even see where to put in an attachment let alone know how to do it correctly. Maybe one of the guys can figure it out, will post them again right now and will make one more post to wrap it up.
                  I also can't see them. it happend to me on another forum, try removing the images by clicking editing on you're post and deleting the links, then save the change. then again click edit and re-attach the same image from you're computer, and click save. that worked for me
                  Orange GT Build
                  Orange V8 GT Build
                  Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

the block terminal i got seam different, it's as 8 connection (16 screws), did i buy the wrong thing ?
                    Orange GT Build
                    Orange V8 GT Build
                    Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Originally posted by gdesmo View Post
                      OK now on to the Led wires, first off do not just go cutting the wires willy nilly like. Cut all the black wires from the molex connector or remove them with the proper molex tool, next put on a piece of shrink tubing and slide it down and out of the way, proceed to strip the wire and crimp on a non-insulated terminal. Slide up the shrink heat and voila you have one cable, note that you should use the same colour for all the black ground lines. It is important because the leads are not interchangeble due to a diodes resistance to reverse electron flow. Then repeat process for leads that go to positive side of Led using a different colour shrink tube. It is an easy process to just attach connectors to proper side being colour coded. Sorry about the poor images and of course you noticed that the power feed is using insulated connectors, I personally think that the heat shrink is far superior not counting how poorly I crimped them on. I hope that helps, feel free to ask questions because someone around here can usually answer it. Just don't ask me about anything to do with software because i'm just a total moron when it comes to that shite !

Name:	IMG_1505.jpg
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	75383

Comment

Originally posted by MRDcanadian View Post
                        the block terminal i got seam different, it's as 8 connection (16 screws), did i buy the wrong thing ?
                        Does it look like the one I bought ? If so you are good to go, just put 2 wires at each terminal. It is fine because the voltage across each side is constant at 5 volts and is a parallel circuit >>> Click image for larger version

Name:	lampwiring.gif
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	75384

Comment

Gdesmo: thanks so much for posting this man!! You rock!! Do you use spade lugs on these things? Or just wrap the wire ends around the terminals?

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                            Gdesmo: thanks so much for posting this man!! You rock!! Do you use spade lugs on these things? Or just wrap the wire ends around the terminals?
                            Either way would work, but spade lugs would be the best way to go for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                              Spade lugs of course and if you want to do a really good job you can crimp and solder the lugs which would provide the best mechanical and electrical bond. 1st pic shows a box of lugs and some of the pics after show some individual ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X