Rad Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad Repair

Finally got around to fixing the RX 480 I received from a member. Had a puncture from a screw that was way too long. Peeled back the side a little and cleaned up the area around the hole. Stuffed the hole with a little bit of copper de-soldering wick to prevent solder from getting into rad itself. Used generous amounts of an acid paste and soldered it up using a pinpoint soldering torch. Tested it with a D5 and XSPC res for 20 minutes with no problems, even pinched the tubing to try and create a little more pressure on the positive side of the pump. Am a happy camper because there are 2 other spots on the rad that were a concern. All is good in North Toronto Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1609.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	79405Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	79406Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1613.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	79407Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	79408Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1615.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	79409 Will epoxy in the cut marks with a metal based two part epoxy I use for motorcycle repair work and paint a flat black.
    3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Nice detail work! Pretty good eyes for an old man.

Comment

I think I'll wait till I screw one up to try this trick out.
      Good info, nicely done gdesmo
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thanx guys, but just use the right screws so you don't have to repair it ! Funny thing was that in the bottom of the box was the paper warning to use the correct screws, oh well shit happens I guess.
        3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

if only there was a way to tell how long a screw you really needed.
          HAF932 Mods
          C70 Mods

Comment

Sweet job gdesmo, great info!!
            CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
            XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

Comment

Pretty straight forward, 25 mm thick fan usually requires a 30 mm or 1 1/4 screw, 38 mm fan needs a 45 mm or 1 3/4 max and a 50 mm needs a 55 mm or 2 1/4 inch.This does not take into consideration thickness of gasket material thickness, so when in doubt measure it twice to avoid problems. If you think your screw is a bit too long and you are stuck buy some aluminum rivet washers and use as spacers. 1/8 inch for 3 mm and 6/32 and 3/16 for 4 mm and 8/32 screws. Again just be careful and if you are not sure just ask and have a few pics ready. Will save you a lot of grief if you pay attention to what you are doing.

Comment

hahaha... so much for a sarcastic retort.
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

No , I'm in too much pain to be mean. Wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic at first.

Comment

nice work sir on the radiator fix.
                    Orange GT Build
                    Orange V8 GT Build
                    Ice Phoenix Build

Comment

Nice!

Thank you for posting.
                      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                      Venom Build: Build Log,
                      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                      Orange Build: Final Video
                      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Damn if that happened to me I be like pissed lol, wow that so brutal but great job on fixing it!
                        Dragon Azul Build
                        Case: NZXT Switch 810 | AsROCK Extreme4 z77 1155 | i5 3570K OC @ 4.6Ghz | GPU: EVGA GTX 660 Ti 3GB SC+ | Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz 16GB | Corsair AX850w | SSD: Corsair 120GB FORCE 3 | HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Soundcard: Soundblaster RECON 3D

Comment

Thanx guys, learned a lot when I raced motorcycles as a pro. A lot of guys would come to me for their last minute fixes and I would always try to help !

Comment

Well, I know where to go when I inevitably puncture my radiator like I've done with my first build. No wonder my temps were so high.

Comment

Be careful and measure your screw lengths carefully !

Comment

Working...
                              X