non-UV purple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-UV purple

Hi, I am looking for non-UV purple LED's to put inside my Corsair 900D case along with my PETG tubing. I have read that extended periods of exposure to UV light can make PETG tubing unstable. Most sites through which I search, though, have only 'UV purple' LED's and not just regular, 'non-UV purple' LED's. Could anyone direct me to a site or sites (competition lowers prices) that actually have non-UV purple LED's?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DazMode; 10-01-2015, 02:55 AM.

The Bitfenix Alchemy Connect 2.0 LEDs are reputed to be a purple LED. Other options are to buy RGB LEDs like Darkside version from Dazmode.com and just run them in "purple" mode in one of two ways: Using the remote control to put them in purple mode, or just cross connecting the pertinent red and blue contacts at the same voltage level for a true purple. I've done the remote control version and been happy with the results.

On the other hand, I wouldn't worry too much about the UV light from LEDs as it's probably not high enough intensity to deteriorate PETG tubing before you'd replace it or tear it down. The purple LED fans from Corsair are actually UV LEDs so for your purposes they won't be appropriate.
    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

C'n guys, this is juniour high school physics ... Purple = UV.

after 410nm glowing effect goes down to hill.
      Attached Files
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Canadian junior high apparently sucks TONS compared to where you're from Daz. We never learned any of that stuff!

What about the UV effect on PETG hard tube? That true?

Comment

im a fan of acrylic but, this is true with a very high UV source, a led strips dont have enough UV to do anything to a PETG tubing or yes but take a lot of time (if not years) to do somthings

direct under SUN on equator, yes tubing will have some issue

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
            C'n guys, this is juniour high school physics ... Purple = UV.

after 410nm glowing effect goes down to hill.
            So what does this have to do with your silly RGB light strips?

Can I program the Darkside RGB strips for 410.1 nm light? And tell me, does this kill bacteria in my loop?

Maybe Maple Leaf foods should have bought some Darkside lighting strips and could have avoided the problems with lysteria.

Hahahahahahaha I couldn't resist bugging the guy with a Junior High school education in wavelength and spectrum physics.

DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by 10e View Post
              So what does this have to do with your silly RGB light strips?

Can I program the Darkside RGB strips for 410.1 nm light? And tell me, does this kill bacteria in my loop?

You right, that actually would make synthesised purple looking color, but it will have glowing properties as much as Blue component of the RGB 3-color chip can provide you.

Comment

Okay, so if I do not want to take any chances, even long-term, I should ditch the purple LED idea because purple = UV (what a bummer, man).

I was going to get the Bitfenix Alchemy's because they did not have UV anywhere in their description, but I guess I can scratch that idea.

Sagan said UV light could possibly create life:

Sagan, Carl |ˈsāgən|
                (1934–96), US astronomer; full name Carl Edward Sagan. He showed that amino acids can be synthesized in an artificial primordial soup irradiated by ultraviolet light, as a model for a possible mechanism of the origin of life on Earth. He wrote several popular science books and coproduced the television series Cosmos (1980).
                Last edited by DazMode; 10-01-2015, 02:54 AM.

Comment

I think RGB purple is safe, as it really mix of Blue and Red wavelengths. Mono-colored purple will be UV regardless it's marketing name.

Comment

yellow text sucks... have found that cold cathode uv lights over time weaken plastic parts on motherboards, at the time was running uv soft tubing so haven't tried on hard tube yet. Would worry more about your motherboard plastic parts than the thicker petg tubing, imagine would takes years or more to affect something that thick.
                    Last edited by nass; 09-30-2015, 11:51 PM.
                    Blackout
                    Something-New
                    Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

I just read someone saying that UV is not violet but 'ultra'-violet, and that purple is nothing more than blue and red together. So it seems that UV does NOT equal purple . . . unless you went to private schools to literally 'see the world differently' than public school kids while growing up. . ..

Also, here is an interesting thread on the UV light/PETG tubing subject matter: http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php...ng-uv-and-you/

Comment

Uv reactive materials react with uv radiation from border of being seen by human eye towards blue range.

If led is single colored in thart range it is can be classified as uv and it is harmful to some degree.

Mix it of two single color LEDs such as red and blue should not be producing uv radiation, as I understand it as it just wave interference.

Comment

Well, I answered along with a posting of link that would shed some (non-UV) light on this subject, only to be accosted with a message saying that a moderator would have to approve the link before my answer would post. That forum is apparently BS--I do not appreciate boards that will not allow people to communicate in real-time.

Y'all have fun here--see yas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardliner View Post
                            Well, I answered along with a posting of link that would shed some (non-UV) light on this subject, only to be accosted with a message saying that a moderator would have to approve the link before my answer would post. That forum is apparently BS--I do not appreciate boards that will not allow people to communicate in real-time.

Y'all have fun here--see yas.
                            If your referring to this forum requiring moderation. That is a rule that won't be changed. Every new member has to make 6 posts before they are past the no moderation point. You are only at 4 posts. So if either of your next two posts have an image or a link in them you can be sure they will require moderation. After 6 posts, then your clear of the automatic moderation rules. Until then your treated no different than anyone else.

You can be sure we will continue to have fun here.
                            Good luck finding a quality forum with less restrictions than this one.
                            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

accosted... by an automated message? jeesh. truly impatient.
                              especially when our wonderful admin team nearly instantaneously approved the post.
                              and even more so, since everyone of us have already read the ModZoo page you'v linked...
                              what? you think we don't get around in this small community?

high fives all round.
                              HAF932 Mods
                              C70 Mods

Comment

Working...
                              X