Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Metal + Copper waterblock

Hi,

Did anyone test the usage of Liquid Metal with copper waterblocks to observe their effects, etc?

I ran liquid metal in my old rig (Indigo Xtreme). No issues. It hardens, and peels right off the CPU, not a mark on the CPU block. It's a bitch to install, and I wouldn't do it again, but there were no issues with that particular metal TIM + copper blocks.

Comment

indigo alloy is not liquid metal, like Thermal grizzly type
      Sentinel Build: Build Log,
      Venom Build: Build Log,
      Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
      Orange Build: Final Video
      HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

No, it's not a tubed TIM, but it is liquid metal. Or so I thought. I've used the spreadable stuff too for a delidded 3570k. It's kinda weird (and awesome) how little you need, and how easily it spreads with a tiny brush.

Comment

Yeah it works great. I used the thermal Grizzly liquid metal when I delided a 3770k and also put it under the cpu lid and on the lid under a copper water block. 1 Make sure you apply the liquid metal to a brush or a q-tip over a paper towel "something absorptive prior putting on any thing. if you do try to apply it directly, if the table or the mobo is slanted it being liquid metal will roll right off into the boards circuitry.. that ends the day with a Dead mobo and or other bad things...

Comment

to echo what NcokeO said, just be careful when applying it. There's a ton of good youtube videos with tips on how to do it. I applied Conductonaut to my 4690K, 4790K, and 8700K. The differences weren't staggering but they were noticeable and welcome (5-8C on the Devil's Canyon CPUs, and 8C on the Coffee Lake... all tests non-scientific, benching using things like Prime95, AIDA64). The Devil's Canyon CPUs are air cooled, and the Coffee Lake is in my main rig in a noobish custom loop.

The best tip I saw was to cover the area around the CPU die with something like painter's tape, then very slowly (*VERY SLOWLY*) push out the liquid metal onto the die with the plunger. You don't need much at all. I found the included black q-tip was perfect for spreading the liquid metal over the die. I used the q-tip to take the excess and make a thin layer on the underside of the IHS. Then used Liquid Electrical Tape to cover capacitors and the like.

It went well the first two times, on the 8700K I skipped taping the area around the die and pushed out way too much liquid metal. It was a pain to clean let me tell you, and was definitely a learning experience.

Comment

Working...
            X