Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my home network

Hey guys,

I'm planning to step-up my game with my residential network, but I'm not very familiar in this area. I read about mesh network and it looks pretty cool, especially when the router and/or the stations use a dedicated band to communicate between each other.

I initially wanted to go with the easy way with Google Wifi or Netgear Orbi, but it looks like I cannot activate a VPN client (to Private Internet Access) on the router. This is one feature I'm looking for since I want all my devices (wired and wireless) to have their communications encrypted once I enable the service.

That being said, I read that Ubiquiti is one of the best bang for the buck but it looks a bit complicated to have the right hardware when you want to go with a POE setup for the wireless Access Point.

Any of you can help me by telling me if I'm missing something?

What is your current setup?

Current topology

Projected setup

* I just noticed that I made a typo in my diagram about the Philips Hue Lights... We should read Philips instead of Philipes...
    Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2, i5-4690K, GTX 780TI, 16GB CL9, 500GB, Custom Loop)

Hey easynator, If you're looking for Ubiquiti setup info, have a look at Crosstalk Solutions and/or Willie Howe over on the YouTube. There's not a whole lot they don't talk about.
    The SLOB : A 3570K Build
    Down & Out : A 2600K Build
    V-353 : A 4770K Build

Comment

I have almost the exact setup using Ubiquiti hardware, the only difference is that I have my plex server also running the Unifi controller software. Works really well and is a pretty solid setup
      Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | AMD r9 290 Crossfire | Win8.1 Pro 64 | EK-Supremacy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | EK - FC290 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Koolance RP - 401X2 | Case Labs M8 |

Comment

Working...
      X