Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Questions/Clarifications

Hello All!

I'm new to building my own cooling loops and have been doing my research but I have some unanswered questions left that I would like to get a better understanding of before I make my parts purchase in the new year. I'm not a major overclocker but I do like to get a bit more than stock out of what I have.

First the hardware I want to cool:
    - Threadripper 1920x (eventually will upgrade to a 3XXX or 4XXX series)
    - 2080 Ti (maybe a second in the future)

Now a few questions:

1) I was looking at the following DazMode kit: https://www.dazmode.com/store/shop/w...t-rev-8-intel/. Obviously I'd get it with a Threadripper block instead of the Intel, but my core question is if it's a good place to start for my needs or is there a different setup you might recommend to someone building their first loop? Also is there anything in that kit (minus the block for the GPU) that I should look at getting to add to the kit?

2) Is a single 360mm rad enough for both parts? Some places say it's fine, others say I should be looking at something closer to 2 240mm rads.

3) I've been researching fluids that are available. Personally, I think going with a premix is the right thing for me at this point but I'd be interested in if people think someone new should stick to clear premixes rather than the dyed ones? There seems to be some sort of a split on opinions and to be honest not all give very clear reasoning for their stance (shocker on the web right?), so it's something I'm very confused on at this point.

4) Related to 3, but are the premix lifetimes that some give considered accurate? They seem to have some varying numbers with some saying 1 year and a couple I saw saying up to 5 years of usage before replacing. 5 seems awesome, but also maybe not true in reality?

5) I was thinking of having my rad(s) external to my case with quick disconnects so it's a simple place for me to put a drain, is there any immediate reason I shouldn't other than fan noise?

Any help in clarifying these points for me would be greatly appreciated. I think I've figured out a strong basis, and I think I have a good map of what I want to do, but these have alluded me so far and getting at least a better understanding of them would put me in a better feeling that I won't be surprised and get into trouble.

Thanks!
    Short Description This kit is DazMode's 8th revision of pre-selected components to compose complete watercoling kit. It contains all you need to cool your I

Welcome to the forum.
    1) Plan for a drain at the lowest point of the loop. There are several options for this.
    2) A triple will handle both just fine. However, you may need to run your fans at a higher speed when the system at full load. Rippers can through off a bit of heat.
    3) The liquid is a personal choice, every liquid has it's pros and cons. I prefer to use distilled water & Daz protector or a premix and just apply light for colour.
    4) I get a couple years on Daz Protect and Distilled before I need to strip down and clean. Every fluid is different read manufactures spec.
    5) Placing your rads outside your case will give you a nice drain point and also give you better heat dissipation. The quick connects can reduce your flow a little but a D5 or DDC won't have a problem.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thanks for your reply Hooded. I figure I'll start with distilled water to start and use some simple Mayhems dyes to get close to what I'm looking for.

Also thanks for clarifying some of those other points. After looking at my setup I've considered moving to a different case, my current one was the sole reason I was considering external rads due to its not great rad placement/cooling capabilities. I've decided I'm either going with the Lian Li 011 Dynamic or splurging on the Corsair 1000D. Both have good rad placement and cooling.

I do have one question though. I currently use ASUS Aura for my RGB stuffed in my case and Steelseries for my peripherals. Are there any RGB fans you'd recommend that hooks into either of those systems that would be good for use on rads. The included fans are widely considered really good, but if there's something competitive that fits my aesthetics a bit more I'd be interested in looking at them.

Comment

Sorry, I'm not too savvy on the RGB fans available.
        I do know Corsair and TT seem to have proprietary connectors which I don't like. I've also read someplace these can be hooked into the Asus Aura lighting system. Not 100% sure on that though.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I have similar setup and I have darkside triple with single with low speed fans. Id say triple is quite adequate for you.
          Last edited by DazMode; 12-24-2018, 04:03 PM.
          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
          Venom Build: Build Log,
          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
          Orange Build: Final Video
          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

You are correct in their being proprietary, I used to love Corsair, but them forcing you into their lighting system is just a major turn off. In the mean time I'll likely use the ones in that kit if I don't find something else before then that fits RGB.

As for hooking then into Aura, it seems like it's certainly not something that's as good as just plugging them in. I prefer something that works properly.

Comment

DazMode that's awesome to hear. I'll stick to trying the single rad to start then and get a second if I end up getting the second card in the future.
              Last edited by firrae; 12-24-2018, 01:15 AM.

Comment

The single 360 should be more than adequate for your Threadripper. I currently have a 1950x and a 1920x on a 280 Rad (NZXT X62's, Im currently planing custom loops for them and getting rid of the AIO's) and a 2990wx on three single 140mm Rads. The 1900 CPU's are used as render slaves for the most part, and I just finished an animation that took just over two weeks to render and that is all cpu's pinned at 100%. The 1920x and 1950x maxed out around 48C to 53C, and the 2990wx maxed at about 45C to 47C, also keep in mind these are all in the same room and the ambient temp was 26C to 30C
                So you should be more than fine, esp on the 1920X.

-dave

Comment

DazMode any chance you have an insight to when/if there will be more Heatkiller IV Pros for threadripper available on the store? Also if maybe if there was a chance the Heatkiller 2080 Ti blocks would be available? Importing isn't a huge deal for me to do, but I prefer to buy it from someone here in Canada if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by firrae View Post
                    DazMode any chance you have an insight to when/if there will be more Heatkiller IV Pros for threadripper available on the store? Also if maybe if there was a chance the Heatkiller 2080 Ti blocks would be available? Importing isn't a huge deal for me to do, but I prefer to buy it from someone here in Canada if possible.
                    It takes Watercool up 6 months to fullfill my orders. I plan to re-order in January.
                    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                    Venom Build: Build Log,
                    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                    Orange Build: Final Video
                    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                      It takes Watercool up 6 months to fullfill my orders. I plan to re-order in January.
                      Ah, that's a shame it takes them so long. Guess I'll stick to the EK blocks for now then. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Well order is in, we'll see if I pass the sanity check

Comment

Working...
                        X