Vertical GPU mounting possible issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical GPU mounting possible issue

I'm going to be doing my first custom watercooling loop soon and I was thinking of mounting the GPU vertically since my case has vertical mount built in. I got a riser cable but the case doesn't have any way of securing the riser so the whole card is just held on by the PCI slots. I kind of dig how it looks but my concern is that the the card sags a bit and is not perfectly straight. I've tried adjusting the screws on the slots but can't get it to be perfectly straight. The best I've gotten is that the end towards the front of the case is about 5mm lower and 10mm closer to the glass than the end screwed into the slots. The case is a be quiet Silent Base 601 if that helps.

Should I try to figure out a way of supporting the card better or will this be fine with hard tubing?

While it would probably be fine with hard tubing just the way it is.
    However, if it were me I'd fab a bracket to support the back end of the card.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thanks. I really wish I had a 3D printer for this kind of thing. At least with that honeycomb grill in the PSU shroud I have plenty of options for attaching a bracket.

Comment

Depending on the type of end that plugs in to the GPU that your riser card has it might not be too difficult to make something out of acrylic to mount the riser card to support the GPU.

Comment

I had similar issue with my build, the weight of the card pushing down causing deformation in my 90 degree hard tubing alignment. I got this resolved using HighFlow VH1 Adjustable Aluminum GPU/VGA Support Strut/Holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Usamah View Post
            I had similar issue with my build, the weight of the card pushing down causing deformation in my 90 degree hard tubing alignment. I got this resolved using HighFlow VH1 Adjustable Aluminum GPU/VGA Support Strut/Holder.
            Thanks, I saw those too. Won't work for me since I only have 35mm between the PSU shroud and the bottom of the card and that has a minimum height of 68mm. One of my friends has access to a 3D printer at work and offered to print stuff for me so I'm all good.

On the plus side of designing my own bracket I can make space for an extra LED strip EK included with the monoblock for my motherboard.

Comment

You could make one with the proper length screw a nut and a stand-off
              Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
              OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
              Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Are you planning on converting the air cooled GPU into a water block cooled one?

Comment

Originally posted by Usamah View Post
                  Are you planning on converting the air cooled GPU into a water block cooled one?
                  Yeah, I already have the waterblock for it.

Comment

Working...
                  X