EK-Velocity on ASUS Maximus XI boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EK-Velocity on ASUS Maximus XI boards

As the title suggests I'm looking for anyone that has installed a EK-Velocity on any of the ASUS Maximus boards. I'm running an Extreme version and have confirmed the Formula is the same where the supplied back plate is not touching the rubber gasket that's supplied as it is resting on the metal CPU back plate. I haven't built a 115X board in a very long time but I don't think this is right and was wondering if my assumption is correct that if I install the cooler, it will put a LOT of extra unwanted pressure on the CPU and or socket that is not supposed to be there as any other back plate Ive seen or used goes AROUND the CPU Socket plate.

I have emailed EK and they said its not their problem as I didn't buy it direct from them, I definitely WONT make that mistake again...

Can anyone shed some light on this? I found a video with the same problem and Ill post it below...
    video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92hnBxOuFI

Cheers,
    -dave

I chat with EK and I agree with what they say.

The only purposed of the backplate is do to not stress mounting holes, so even so backplate lying on another backplate pressure is distributed to some degree. Gasket is only for double insurance as insulating layer.

Having said that, it is not neat setup for this combo and I can see how it can be annoying/absetting. This set up would be closer to no backplate setup.
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Thank you very much again for all your help Daz! You Sir are a rockstar

Comment

I have the MAXIMUS XI FORMULA and I used the Thermaltake Pacific W2 CPU Water Block, Fits perfect. CPU OC'd close to 5 GHz and maximum temp I reached is 33 C. I did not benchmark the system yet; as I am still tweaking.
        Last edited by Usamah; 03-19-2019, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I did finally get a call from ASUS as I had put in a support ticket to ask them when all this started and the ASUS engineers said its no problem for the plate to contact the back of the CPU socket plate and the PCB is more than capable of handling the added pressure from the EK waterblock and backplate.

Hopefully the first or second week of April Ill be able to start building Max-Overdrive. I was hoping this weekend I could start but Canada post changed the delivery date on my package from the 22nd to the 25th so it will have to wait a little longer. and I probably forgot a couple parts so there's that lol.

Thanks for the info Usamah . Nice looking rig and temps.

-dave

Comment

I think I would drill and Dremel the EK backplate were it contacts the ridges on the CPU mounting plate.
            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
              I think I would drill and Dremel the EK backplate were it contacts the ridges on the CPU mounting plate.
              I think entire backplate laying on mb backplate.
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                Yes I thought about that and still might give it a shot as EK sent me a second gasket, washers and backplate. Ive never seen in all my years a backplate that contacted the CPU/ILM backplate and that is what originally had me worried but Ive intentionally searched for builds online with the EK blocks on Max XI boards and haven't heard a peep out of anyone except for the one video I had found. I'm pretty confident in ASUS engineers saying that its fine and the PCB can easily handle the pressure.

I still might mod the second backplate for shits n giggles

-dave

Comment

Working...
                X