Had a power surge. Pump stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a power surge. Pump stopped working

Sorry for the long post here and thank you in advance for providing any help.

I am a water cooling newbie and started my journey with the EK240 Hardtube kit. I got the kit at the end of September and installed it promptly and ran a leak test for ~ 26 hours with no noticeable leaks.

Great temps and no issues until today when my power shut off and on again quickly(Ice storm). Thought nothing of it and turned the computer on and started playing some games. Now it wasn’t until about an hour or two later that I could hear the computer fans even with my headphones on. So I alt+tabbed and checked temps, noticed they were around 85 degrees! Noticed the pump not going and shut everything off.

i drained the system and took the pump out and tested it outside the computer with some coolant; did not work. The unit doesn’t make any sounds at all.

Is it possible that even after the surge that only the pump would be affected and nothing else?

The mobo is a Asus Z390-I and I have 6 fans and 2 12v rgb strips. Everything else works.

Im no stranger to power failures and such but never seen a pump or the like die after a surge. Not to say it cant happen as Im a firm believer that anything can but I cant see the pump being affected and nothing else. What kind of pump is it? have you tried to hook it up to a different PSU or other source of power? Maybe DazMode might have a better idea of what may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by dknourek View Post
      Im no stranger to power failures and such but never seen a pump or the like die after a surge. Not to say it cant happen as Im a firm believer that anything can but I cant see the pump being affected and nothing else. What kind of pump is it? have you tried to hook it up to a different PSU or other source of power? Maybe DazMode might have a better idea of what may be wrong.
      Thanks for your reply

Its a Res+Pump Combo. The EK-XRES 100 SPC-60.
      Maybe it's just a weird coincidence that it happened shortly after the power flicked off and on again. I do have my computer plugged into a new surge protector.
      I have tried the pump independently with no success, the unit doesn't even make a sound.

Comment

If you have the receipt and its within the warranty period I would contact where you bought it from and see about troubleshooting first and then unfortunately but most likely RMA the pump for a new one. If you have the means and you have similar luck to me lol I would pick up a backup pump for times like this so you can keep going and are not down for a couple weeks or months.
        hopefully you get back up and running soon. Sorry Im not much more help. The DDC and D5 pumps only have a single moving part and that is the impeller.

By the way, If you are mechanically inclined I would grab a volt meter and with the pump on its own I would just check both ends of all the wires. At the connector end and with the pump back plate off checking them at the solider joints where they connect to the PCB (Internal Circuit board) in case one of them maybe by remote chance broke either at the soldier joint or at the connector. Both of which I definitely have seen before

Comment

I also find that unlikely that power surge kills the pump, supposed to kill psu, but i wonder if any debree got inside.
          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
          Venom Build: Build Log,
          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
          Orange Build: Final Video
          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Actually it has happen to be me before. I am not sure what happened to this day but an something took out the computer while i was at work. The machine was off at the time. It took out my PSU, Pump and Motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post
              Actually it has happen to be me before. I am not sure what happened to this day but an something took out the computer while i was at work. The machine was off at the time. It took out my PSU, Pump and Motherboard.
              Yea what I was getting at and I think Daz as well is the fact that his PSU is fine and only the pump was seemingly affected. Where normally the PSU would be the first to get fried as it is the entry point for the surge with the other components further down the circuit. So in theory it would be the PSU alone getting fried from a surge or the PSU and everything else connected to it... I've also seen some strange things happen in the past so I imagine almost anything is possible however unlikely it may seem....

Comment

Yeah. The funniest thing about my case was the components that survived. The CPU and GPU makes sense the motherboard took the hit for them. I had an 1TB mechanical hard drive and 250gb Samsung 830 SSD. The 1TB Harddrive died too (forgot to mention) but that Samsung 830 survived. After that, I was sold on SSD's as long term usage.

Comment

The way my luck runs and esp with storage devices, I have triple redundancy for my files mirrored in 3 locations. Its expensive AF lol but its worth it to me as all my work files are on there and family photos and such that cant be replaced. And I cant use online services as they are too expensive and I have trust issues as well thanks to past experiences.

Anyway sorry to hijack your thread Makarios , have you gotten any further with your pump?

Comment

Oh Also, By chance have you tried taking the pump/res apart and cleaning the impeller in the pump and the bearing it rests on?

Comment

It might not be the pump that got shorted, could be the connector itself. Check the ends of the wires in the fan header and molex/data which ever you have.

That's more likely to be burnt out.

Comment

Working...
                      X