Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using quick disconnects as a bottom drain solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using quick disconnects as a bottom drain solution?

I'm mapping out a loop where I'm looking at needing two bottom drain/fill locations. I'm looking to avoid using a T junction and valve off of it for each spot when I could just buy three disconnect sets, two of them permanently part of the loop and the third I could use to as-needed attach hoses onto either side of either drain location when I need to drain things out.

Why two drains you may ask? I'm using the 900 tower and my two rads are mounted at the back vertically, they're both cross-flow and my intention is to do pump->CPU->GPU->Bottom of rad 1->across the top to rad2's top port->out bottom of second rad->pump. The two drains would be before rad #1's bottom port and at the bottom opening of rad#2 before going to the pump. Figure this would let me expel the most water without having to tip this case around because its going to be damned heavy when its all put together. I'm also planning on a T & valve at the top between the two rads though for that air spot, it'll be a perfect spot for it.

Is this feasible? Am I over-looking anything with that method?

So long as they are good quality QDC's then there shouldn't be an issue with this setup.
    I don't like using QSC's but that's just my choice. Daz shows using QDC's for a drain in a couple of videos. You could also use a push/pull valve instead of QDC's but you will need to compare pricing for the two methods.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Right yes the price is something to consider plus the extra bulk of both chunks along with enough room to pull them apart and re-aim them out the back. when I was first looking at what's in the store front I didn't realize that each piece was only one half of the pair. Space wise its looking more like a T and valve is cheaper and more space efficient for what I'm looking to do. In this build there won't be a lot of clearance between the bottom ports on the rads and the PSU that's going to sit right between them at the bottom.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	TallboysIndeed.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	90000
      (Guiness tallboy for scale)

Especially knowing the rad on the right's bottom port is further back. Hrm. Yes rethinking this one I am.

Your insight is highly valued as always!

Comment

I would think a 90° fitting and push valve would work well
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Yes those could be excellent for this. I'm picturing something like from the left rad's bottom port a 90 heading under the fan with a T junction right after it, off the T's main path a straight line back to the res and the perpendicular connection having another 90 aiming out the back of the case followed by the push valve to drain from that side, similar on the right side too but with the roles reversed.

Comment

Working...
          X