Custom PSU sleeved cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom PSU sleeved cables

Hi everyone, no idea if im posting this at the right place but need some recommendations if anyone happen to know this. I decided it is time for me to go DIY with PSU cables and probably fans, rgb and SATA but i'm a . It's about the only thing i dont know how to DIY when building computers.

To begin with, i have a bunch of CableMod kits and i want to replace the sleeving on a kit for my personnal rig. They dont make the color i want in the pro series and often, dont have the colors my clients want either.
    so figured i could just use those kits before making cables from scratch.

What i would like to know, if anyone has the answer is, what would be the thickness of the sleeving i should use to replace the ones already installed. I think the caliber is either 16awg or 18 awg and their thickness for their regular cables is between 2.6mm and 2.8mm.
    Their pro series is between 3.2mm and 3.4mm i think.
    so should i got with 2mm or 4mm for the sleeving? Thinking the ones you sell Daz can stretch a little do they? Or do anyone think i could even go with 6mm for aesthetic purpose?

Another thing i'd like to learn, is how to read the schematics of PSU cables to make them myself. Like the 24 pins, pci-e 6 pin, 8 pins, 8 pins EPS, 4+4 pins and both 6+8 and 8+8. If anyone could show me how to read them with some pictures to explain, i would really appreciate it!

And last thing. What thickness of cables can fit in the closed combs sold in DazMode store? I ordered some a couple months ago but lost them all and could never use them at all. So before buying more again, it would be usefull for me to know what size of sleeved cables i can fit in them.

No idea if anyone will be abble to help me but thanks in advance!!!

2mm sleeve is what is used by Daz's pre sleeved cables. I use this for individual cables that are 18awg or higher.
    4 mm sleeve is used for fatter 18awg or 16awg cables. I'll use 4mm if doing my own cables because it takes a lot less effort (for me at least) to cut them to proper length. 2mm sleeve will generally require a good bit longer sleeve than cable it's covering, due to expansion of the sleeve. Cables smaller than 18awg won't have this issue.
    6mm sleeve works well on fans with 3 or 4 strip ribbon cables.
    The larger sleeve is for multiple cables in one sleeve.

Hopefully, that is of some help.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Yes lots of help. I now know what size of sleeve to use. Thank you very much! Now i only need to learn how to read schematics. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Pinouts are always read facing the outside of the connector, like looking down a gun barrel. That is, the wires come out the back, so in the pinout diagram you don't see them. Pin 1 is at the bottom left, and from there you work right. Pin n/2 is therefore above pin 1, with the last pin at the top right.

The 24 and 6+2 connectors don't have the same number of pins at each end. It's easy to jam two wires into one pin if you strip farther back, and crimp directly onto bare wire instead of sleeving.

2mm sleeving is for standard ATX power cables, but as Hooded said, you can't pre-measure them. I don't cut them to length until after installation, which makes one end tricky because they're on the wire at that point. Closed cable combs complicate it further because you have jam the sleeving through them before you put the sleeving over the wire. That's not an issue when cable stitching.

The best tutorial for cable stitching is this one.
        There are lots of tutorials for the rest of the process. I found this one most useful.

Fans cables are trivially easy once you learn atx power cables.

SATA's a little trickier because it's AC. I'm not an electrical engineer, but the length is really important because AC wires are basically antennas. You have to solder wires to connectors, with insulated wires for the two pairs of data lines and bare wires for the 3 grounding lines. Then you wrap it all in aluminum foil, tape the foil in place, and test it. I got lucky when I made my SATA cable and have been using it for a year with no problems, but in theory it should work best if the total length of the cable is a multiple of the signal period, and the shorter/better shielded the better.

I haven't found a place to buy connectors for RGB, so i cut and cannibalize one end off existing cables, creating short cables that can plug into pc components. I bought a set of non-pc connectors off Amazon to crimp the other end and make custom extension cables.

Comment

Wow, thanks alot! I make rgb and fans extensions and spilters already. Well, the ones needed for Corsair. I get the connectors and pins on ebay. They are pretty cheap if you buy 1000 pieces and more at once lol. My mom was an electric engineer so i know enough about it. If she was still with us she would've showed me but heh i still made a whole security system for our house when i was 9 years old because i was learning from her as she was studying lol. I think the little i know should help me understand a bit faster.

In any case, i really appreciate the time you took to explain me how to. I will definatelly look at the links you gave me! Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X