Noob question - Will this pump top let me retrofit existing pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question - Will this pump top let me retrofit existing pump

I should probably know this or figure it out, but so far the only pumps I've bought have been pre-installed into mounting enclosures/reservoirs and those don't seem to be too available right now.

So I'm looking at this:
    https://www.dazmode.com/shop/waterco...i-stand-alone/

Could I use it to retrofit a pump from a kit I'd bought earlier?
    https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-14...-pwm-incl-pump

Am I still missing something? The product name suggests its just the top, but the description implies its a full mounting and base etc too, which I could probably re-use from the kit any ways though right?

I know I'll lose the reservoir in the process but if that's the sacrifice to rid myself of its terrible port placement then that's the cost of it I guess

If your're asking if you can use the mount setup from the EK-Xres-140-Revo-D5 to mount a pump using EK-Xtop-Revo-D5 top then yes. you can.
    You will lose the res though.

Take a look at the install manual for Xres and for install manual for Xtop for more detail.
    Looks to me like the same mounting kit comes with the D5 Xtop.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thanks and yes that's what I am aiming to do is get the pump motor out into its own independent piece and choose a different new independent res as well in the process.

Comment

Yup you keep the bottom part of your combo and attach to the pump top you want. Then you connect a reservoir to it. You can either screw it to the case like that or buy a pump braquet which is usually installed on a fan or radiator. You will also need à support for the reservoir if it doesnt come with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
          Yup you keep the bottom part of your combo and attach to the pump top you want. Then you connect a reservoir to it. You can either screw it to the case like that or buy a pump braquet which is usually installed on a fan or radiator. You will also need à support for the reservoir if it doesnt come with it.
          Hey yah that's what I'm trying to figure out right now is the reservoir mounting arrangement. This is relevant to your interests as its with the L20 XT rebuild

I'm pretty set on the heatkiller 100 reservoir for this:
          https://www.dazmode.com/shop/waterco...ller-tube-100/
          Its mounting accessories are quite versatile.

Here's my plan, provided I can sort out the res mount. I'll have 2x360mm rads top-mounted with ports towards the back of the case, picture:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-05 20XT Rebuild.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	90999

Trying to figure out how to mount that res so that its sticking up through that further open 120mm space. The idea is I can have the GPU output going to the res and then back to the pump which is mounted onto the closest fan on the second rad. It'll feed the rads in daisy-chain and then that closest output port on the 2nd rad feeds down to the CPU block, tada, tight little loop.

Comment

Hmmm why do you want to put your reservoir there? I mean, theres plenty of room in the front part of the case no? Maybe à couple more pictures to show us your plans and entire build so far would help understand à little bit more.

Comment

Also are your rads PE or CE coolstream?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
                Hmmm why do you want to put your reservoir there? I mean, theres plenty of room in the front part of the case no? Maybe à couple more pictures to show us your plans and entire build so far would help understand à little bit more.
                The main reason is to keep the whole front area as open as I can, the wife has plans for it, decorative plans, haha (its going to be her case). But my big driver for having the res right there after the GPU is so that if bubbles develop from the GPU block they will inherently get trapped in the res. Its something I experienced with the T900 build and my experiments with slower pump speeds.

Rads: PEs, great things and really like that I can re-use them with this configuration.

Comment

Ok i understand but keep in mind all the highest heat sources are there. PCH, M.2 nvme, processor, gpu. Having the reservoir there is not the best solution. But it's just an opinion. Not trying to tell you what to do.

I know you tested flow speed and pretty much had the same results as me when i tested this in my 25 years of customizing but if i can give you 1 suggestion, hope you wont mind and you might actually already know this, the PE have really high fin density. Like double regular rads and thickier than them also, i really recommend going in a push/pull configuration with these for best cooling performance but also to put less stress on your fans meaning less noise. like i said it's just an opinion and i hope you wont be mad at me lol!

I still havent set anything on sell yet like my case and bunch of hardwares and watercooling parts. Canada post having a really hard time to deliver packages right now . Want to get my 480mm and decide how many rads will go in my new case!

Anyways, cant wait to see more of your build. And the way you planed to install everything in that beast and of course the theme!

Comment

Rad over motherboard: Its dangerous for sure, not ideal for safety but it would make the loop really elegantly tight. I'm still pondering flipping the rads around like I had the first time so that the pump & res and all those ports are hanging over open safer dead space at the front, it'd add some long tubes to the equation but they'd be straight shots along the lengths of the rads. The key long-run I'm trying to avoid is that one back to the CPU block. One thought I had was having the rads in opposing directions so that the second one hanging over the CPU side still has its ports very close to the CPU block and the long-run is tucked between the two rads.

Push vs Push/Pull: I appreciate the advice, I researched those rads quite a bit initially and knew the benefits of adding fans to the exhaust side, its not out of the question but that's now 12 fans to route cables and attach to more controllers etc etc haha, oh and buy as a batch of 6 with ideally matching RPM as these EKs I've got. In the first setup with just the push setup I found the noise vs performance to be quite acceptable, but you do have me thinking about it again and I can see there's enough head-room that adding another layer of fans would bring the whole setup to barely over the top of the GPU block's port height.

Comment

Its what i've done in my tests and there was more than enough room. 30 fans total lol. Having a push/pull for the PE rads is almost a must. Dont look at thé look of what im gona show you. Like i said, it was testing. Didnt even take time to turn off the rgb so its pretty ugly but its just to show you the space with the push/pull config with everything inside. Well, almost everything cause its missing à second gpu and ram modules. I found out this gpu is broken in the process lol. Anyways, here is the basic config i tested. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200424_170555.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	91006 at the bottom its a 360 XE, Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_065731.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	91007 and top and front are 360mm PE. All in push/pull. Of course i only installed one at the top since it was for testing and wanted to see which component was throwing more heat in the radiator. But it should give you à lil idea of whats possible. With 480mm rads instead of 360, it's possible to have dual pump/reservoir setup. One next to the other in the big space next to the motherboard but like you said, your wife have plans for this lol. But if i was sleeping that case, i would for sure replace the 360'sfor 480's for performances and of course, for better aesthetics.

Comment

Lol... sleeping that case... sorry. Smartphone is not smart.. I meant *keeping*

Comment

30 fans is way too many to have just 'lying around' for testing stuff like that That XE is one thick puppy, for sure you want your push/pull setup for those guys.

I was thinking of replacing the 360s with 480s at first but then we got this wild idea to do with the top of the case to replace that glass lid and well, now I need a gap for the reservoir to poke up there and well you know aesthetics trumps function sometimes haha. I didn't have the aquaero with the first build of this case so I never got to really see the stats as clearly as I did with my last one but yes I highly appreciate it when you can use huge surface areas worth of radiators, it was 100% why I bought the T900 case for the ability to do the 2x 560mm rads, and this case first last year for its plentiful rad options.

Comment

Well, they were laying around yes but it's also my job to fix, build, upgrade and customize pc so it's never lost. If i dont have any contracts for repairs and all, i just start a new build for resell. In the end i almost always use what i have on hands.

But i was thinking about something. Since you need to keep half of the case clean for the theme, why not install the reservoir horizontally attached under the top radiator instead of vertically? That way you have space for the project, you have your réservoir where you want it and you can use 2 480mm rads for better performance and look? Do you think it would work?

Comment

Hey man I appreciate your thoughts on this. I'd been pondering the reservoir placement as tucked in beneath the rads but something that's functionally important to me is that it remains a high-point above the output of the GPU block's output to counter air bubbles forming and then its also the natural air-bleeding location high point if its top is above the two reservoirs and aimed upward.

There's a second and equally important reason though, see a game the two of us play a lot is Ark: Survival Evolved, my wife and I have this really ambitious goal of transforming the top of the case into a little terrarium of its desert biome and the reservoir would be a fantastic base for one of the obelisks featured in the game. Think like table-top war-gaming type terrain creation. Been watching a lot of tutorials of people creating neat looking stuff out of basic building supplies like expanding insulation foam and dry wall mud to coat it then paint it up to look like terrain, in this case a badlands style desert canyon thing where the exhaust air of the radiators will rise up through.

Not to mention the other biome from that game she's dreaming up for the internal portions of the case.

I think we've bitten off quite a project but hey, in these times, time is on our side.

Comment

Working...
                              X