Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split flow - T block vs Y splitter fittings

Good morning all.

I come to seeking opinions on a split flow choice. The setup I've got has two identical radiators and as I map out the water loop its starting to look very appealing to do a split ahead of them and merge afterwards vs chaining them in a serial path. This is purely for aesthetics, I think the loop will look much nicer with that setup vs the path I'd take if I chained them.

So my question: Could I get away with regular a T split vs going with Y split fittings to do this? Assuming equal distance and all that? I know that every corner added to a loop will slightly increase the resistance to flow so ideally using a Y split and then another Y merge after the rads is ideal, but is it that big of a factor?

I ask because I do not currently have any Y splitters, only a couple of those 3 & 4 way cube blocks, trying to talk myself into either placing the order and waiting for them to show up, or proceeding with the T blocks and hope for the best.

Or I shelf the whole thing and go for serially chaining them like my original plan.

A Y fitting would provide less friction than a T fitting. Aside from that no real difference.
    DDC and D5 pumps have plenty of power to overcome either of those issues.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Dont worry about it. Use the one you want. I've tested it with up to 20 90°and T fittings in the past and it takes many to start seeing à difference on the flow. With 10 90° fittings i had to go from 40% power to 45% to get the same flow just to give an idea..It was also proved by EK and other brands. So picking either Y or T wont do much. Water blocks and radiators are more restrictive than and fittings and with the strong pump we have like D5 and DDC, nothing to worry about.

Comment

Thanks guys! Your experiences with this are as always highly appreciated.

I was hoping to hear those answers as well, I have a 4 way block that'd be perfect to also jam a temp sensor into the mix at that split so it'll be very convenient!

Comment

Haha i have planed to do the same with my build. If i can ever receive my package... been waiting since Mai 19... I have the exact same X splitter for the Darkside sensor. Show us how you arrange all that when you can!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
            Haha i have planed to do the same with my build. If i can ever receive my package... been waiting since Mai 19... I have the exact same X splitter for the Darkside sensor. Show us how you arrange all that when you can!
            Damn that sucks about the package, I've been opting for the couple bucks extra for Canada Post Expedited shipping, over all its been arriving only about a day later then things normally would. Bonus is they got me my latest Dazmode package on a Sunday. Wasn't expecting that at all, very nice surprise.

Comment

Where do you live?

Comment

I'm in Montréal so i tought it would explain the wait but received an email today about an order i placed with amazon on June 4th. Commin from Ontario too, the package will probably get here tomorrow. It was sent by Canada Post but thats not my choice since you cant decide who to ship from like DazMode. I'm really mad right now because they arent giving any information even tho i used xpresspost. Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20200607-163858_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	91063

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
                  Where do you live?
                  Ottawa myself, consistent shipping has been pretty decent with the postal service for my neck the woods which is a nice thing.

Comment

Yeah. Thats why you got your relatively fast.

Comment

Oh hey figured I should come back and show the final results of the split flow and how it turned out with the Y adapters, I'm really really happy with the look of it:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-18 PCComplete.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	91687

another earlier pre-colour tuning pic that shows the sections more clearly:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-07-09 ItsAliveAgain.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	91688

I will eventually submit this to the build of the month but believe it or not its far from over, the case mods have taken a life of their own and I'm taking my time with it all. Currently waiting for a 3D printer to ship so I can create more of the extensive new 'lid' I've been building for it.

Comment

Really Neat everything!
                        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                        Venom Build: Build Log,
                        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                        Orange Build: Final Video
                        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Working...
                        X