Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for Parts advice/recommendations for a Ryzen 5000 / Radeon 6000 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by majoram View Post
    Augh!!! This fan situation blows! <pun intended>

I'm beginning to think I should just wait out the stock situation and patiently buy the parts piece by piece.
    Almost every part of the loop that I want is backordered or costs way too much to get from the US or elsewhere.
    Its normal for water parts, not enough carried in Canada. I order direct from europe or usa. Takes awhile too. Most of my parts come from outside canada due to it not being available here. Also took time from pre-order to delivery, I just got in this stuff
    Attached Files

Comment

Got some parts. Thoughts??

So the CPU block came in stock and I've decided to just start grabbing parts.
      Hopefully I will have everything by the time I finally start building.

NOTES:
      - I'm going for more looks rather than performance, so I am doing D-RGB rather than Performance parts (such as Heatkiller blocks).
      If I do performance later on, I think the RGB stuff will just be easier to sell.
      - I decided on the Heatkiller Rad because of the Silver? Nickel? look. The case I have is the Silver version. I want to have some silver accents here and there.
      - Aquacomputer D5 NEXT Pump: All D5 and DDS pumps are equal right? So I just decided on this one because I really like the little display!

Thoughts?

*** ORDERED ***
      CPU Water block: EK-Velocity D-RGB – AMD Nickel + Plexi
      Reservoir: HEATKILLER® Tube 150 D5 (Glass Reservoir with D5 Pump Mount) - Multi-Port Top Upgraded
      Pump: Aquacomputer D5 NEXT Pump
      Other Accessories: 360mm Radiator gaskets

*** TO BE DECIDED ***
      Fans: TBD
      Fittings: TBD
      Tubes: TBD
      Cooling liquid or coolant: TBD

*** STILL TO ORDER:
      - Radiator: Heatkiller HTSF2 3×120 LTX Performance Radiator 360mm (1 or 2?)
      - Other: EK-Quantum Flow Indicator D-RGB

Comment

My opinion- go with generic d5 pwm (aqua d5pwm) and connect it to an aqua fan controller then get an next flow/temp sensor instead. The D5 Next is not that accurate imo and its flow sensor is virtual. It didn’t work actually for me hence why i needed to get an flow meter. You will appreciate aquacomputer quadro/octp/aq6lt as fan controller for radiator and pump.

Only issue with aquacomputer is dazmode/us doesn’t carry all the adapter cables and even say hubby7 you need to do an quadro/aq6lt setup. I had to buy them from either various stores or aquacomputer direct.

Wait one more month for heatkiller new radiators before you decide honestly.
        Last edited by section31; 10-24-2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I can ask my friend who just bought lianli uni fans as he had lot of water parts and 6 x Arctic Cooling Bionix P120 forwarded from depot in the states. Hes selling them i think. The rate he paid is 13usd + whatever cost to ship back across border

Comment

Fittings - i may have lead for you if hard tubing. Got couple friends that probably will have extra fittings. One out in Toronto holding my old BP 12mm Fittings and 2000mm of BP PETG. He recently swapped over to Optimus soft fittings.

One of my other local friends has 12mm Barrows stuff but is considering Optimus 12mm HT fittings. Just he hasn’t ordered because of the gpu block situation, we don’t know which brand of optimus, heatkiller and aquacomputer we are going with.

The guy with the AC Bionix fans being forwarded also is considering partial hard tube softtube so not sure how many fittings there are left after he does that. I already gave him my BP 12mm Premium HT Fittings. Yeah I swapped fittings three times in one year (BP Regular 12mm to Premium 12mm to Optimus 12mm)

Once i finish my rebuild have fittings to unload but not a lot per say - more extenders, drain valves, 90 adapters, q and t flow splitters.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post
              My opinion- go with generic d5 pwm (aqua d5pwm) and connect it to an aqua fan controller then get an next flow/temp sensor instead. The D5 Next is not that accurate imo and its flow sensor is virtual.
              Damn but I already bought it. Virtual flow sensor? omg
              I finally thought I was done with all this research.

Wait one more month for heatkiller new radiators before you decide honestly.
              Yeah but will it be available in Canada? Or will I need to order from Europe?

It didn’t work actually for me hence why i needed to get an flow meter. You will appreciate aquacomputer quadro/octp/aq6lt as fan controller for radiator and pump.
              Any chance you got links to the parts?

I can ask my friend who just bought lianli uni fans as he had lot of water parts
              Yes please do. Let me know what he says.
              Maybe I should just get them from the US too.

Fittings - i may have lead for you if hard tubing. Got couple friends that probably will have extra fittings. One out in Toronto holding my old BP 12mm Fittings and 2000mm of BP PETG. He recently swapped over to Optimus soft fittings.
              Yes i am doing hard tubing. Not sure if I want to go with used fittings though.
              1. I may not get all the fittings I need and have to mix and match old and new.
              2. I am hesitant to chance old o-rings failing.

BUT I am ok with getting the tubing. Again drop me a line with details.
              Send me some pics soon?

Curious - Why did you swap fittings?

Comment

Damn but I already bought it. Virtual flow sensor? omg
                I finally thought I was done with all this research.

Yeah but will it be available in Canada? Or will I need to order from Europe?

Any chance you got links to the parts?

Yes please do. Let me know what he says.
                Maybe I should just get them from the US too.

Yes i am doing hard tubing. Not sure if I want to go with used fittings though.
                1. I may not get all the fittings I need and have to mix and match old and new.
                2. I am hesitant to chance old o-rings failing.

BUT I am ok with getting the tubing. Again drop me a line with details.
                Send me some pics soon?

Curious - Why did you swap fittings?
                1. Just order in an aquacomputer fan controller (aquereo 6, octo, quadro) and next/high flow version if flow/temp sensor in from dazmode

2. Im sure dazmode will carry the rads but might be couple months. Otherwise order from Watercool.de

3. Reason i dumped BP, lately having stuck fittings more and more. Its also problematic (fixed with newer fittings) with brass tubing. Wasn’t an solid connection.

4.,Tubing i will have to ask. Friends decision are not final

Comment

Really need some help here. I am beyond frustrated.

1) In my reading/research, I have been finding it very difficult to find good sources for detailed info on various parts or brands for the "MINOR" parts of watercooling.
                  Basically in-depth reviews or detailed descriptions or comparison pieces that say more than "this is good quality".

Waterblocks and radiators are not too hard to find.
                  What I am looking for details and reviews on parts like
                  - controllers (fan, RGB etc)
                  - sensors
                  - fittings
                  - fluids

Any suggestions?

2) I have seen mentions that new Heatkiller rads are coming but no matter how much I search, I am unable to find an article or announcement or anything.
                  Does anyone have a source?

Comment

Fan controllers are fast becoming a thing of the past. However if your like me I like to use them to control my pump and fans. Lamptron makes the best basic fan controllers. I look for a fan controller that can run multiple fans from 1 connection. These are the old school 3 pin fans, I look for something that say 30 watts or better per channel. PMW fan are best run from your motherboard headers. To use a single header for running multiple fans you need either a high amperage header (eg; pump, or High_Amp_Fan header) or only the use the board header for PWM signal and tach. Tap into a Sata or Molex connector for the 12v of power so as not to burnout the board header. I usually make my own custom cable for this option.
                    You can usually run 2 PWM fans from a standard PWM fan header using a simple cable splitter.
                    If you have deep pocket you can always go with the aqua-computer Aquaero fan/pump controller which can handle Fans,pumps, RGB lights and more. These are big bucks

Sensors, is a tough topic there are so many different types flow sensors and temp sensors. Some flow sensors are nothing more than a visual spinner you can see. Others like Koolance or Aqua-compture may require extra hardware to plug them into. eg; Aquaero. I recently got a couple nice Barrow flow sensors with LED read out.
                    Temperature sensors usually require you have a place on the motherboard or a fan controller to display it's read out. Get all same brand or temewrature sensors so you get a more consistent reading. Not all temp sensors work the same. Some will have a sensor in the fluid others many only check the sureface of a fitting the fluid is travelling through. Barrow has a nice temp sensor with LED readout looks similar to their flow senor. They can be a little bulky thou.

I tend to stick with distilled water with Daz protector. It's cheapest method and works just fine. If you wish to spend more cash then Ice Dragon is the ultimate coolant works great at both high temps and sub zero temps. Coloured fluids tend to stain your blocks and tubes. However they do look pretty and temp to give a little better performance than distilled water. You really need to read each coolants manufacturer's spec's to get the one that suite' your needs best.

Fittings. I tend to buy Darkside fittings. I've not had any problem with them leaking but a couple people have had issues with some 90­° fittings leaking at swivel.
                    Bitspower has the nicest finish on there fitting also the biggest all round selection for fittings. These are very good quality as well.
                    I can't say how good any of the other ones are as I've never bought an EK, Monsoon, Phobya etc...
                    I tend to buy my angle fittings with out the compression fitting attached. This gives me more options and allows for the future reuse. You can put any kid of fitting on these soft tube are hard tube. 3/8" x 5/8" or 10mm x 12mm or what ever size you're using in the build. These could even have barb fittings attached.

Kind of sick of typing now so if you need more detail on some a little more specific please carry on asking.
                    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                      Fan controllers are fast becoming a thing of the past. However if your like me I like to use them to control my pump and fans. Lamptron makes the best basic fan controllers. I look for a fan controller that can run multiple fans from 1 connection. These are the old school 3 pin fans, I look for something that say 30 watts or better per channel. PMW fan are best run from your motherboard headers. To use a single header for running multiple fans you need either a high amperage header (eg; pump, or High_Amp_Fan header) or only the use the board header for PWM signal and tach. Tap into a Sata or Molex connector for the 12v of power so as not to burnout the board header. I usually make my own custom cable for this option.
                      You can usually run 2 PWM fans from a standard PWM fan header using a simple cable splitter.
                      If you have deep pocket you can always go with the aqua-computer Aquaero fan/pump controller which can handle Fans,pumps, RGB lights and more. These are big bucks

Sensors, is a tough topic there are so many different types flow sensors and temp sensors. Some flow sensors are nothing more than a visual spinner you can see. Others like Koolance or Aqua-compture may require extra hardware to plug them into. eg; Aquaero. I recently got a couple nice Barrow flow sensors with LED read out.
                      Temperature sensors usually require you have a place on the motherboard or a fan controller to display it's read out. Get all same brand or temewrature sensors so you get a more consistent reading. Not all temp sensors work the same. Some will have a sensor in the fluid others many only check the sureface of a fitting the fluid is travelling through. Barrow has a nice temp sensor with LED readout looks similar to their flow senor. They can be a little bulky thou.

I tend to stick with distilled water with Daz protector. It's cheapest method and works just fine. If you wish to spend more cash then Ice Dragon is the ultimate coolant works great at both high temps and sub zero temps. Coloured fluids tend to stain your blocks and tubes. However they do look pretty and temp to give a little better performance than distilled water. You really need to read each coolants manufacturer's spec's to get the one that suite' your needs best.

Fittings. I tend to buy Darkside fittings. I've not had any problem with them leaking but a couple people have had issues with some 90­° fittings leaking at swivel.
                      Bitspower has the nicest finish on there fitting also the biggest all round selection for fittings. These are very good quality as well.
                      I can't say how good any of the other ones are as I've never bought an EK, Monsoon, Phobya etc...
                      I tend to buy my angle fittings with out the compression fitting attached. This gives me more options and allows for the future reuse. You can put any kid of fitting on these soft tube are hard tube. 3/8" x 5/8" or 10mm x 12mm or what ever size you're using in the build. These could even have barb fittings attached.

Kind of sick of typing now so if you need more detail on some a little more specific please carry on asking.
                      Only thing with barrows flow sensor is do not trust its accuracy. Igorslab did review on barrows digital flow and even thermaltake one. He slammed it hard. Aquacomputer was accurate (this was the old version) but the new one can work like the barrows flow sensor. Koolance and Aquacomputer are good flow/temp sensor companies though (they are used for industrial)

Thats why i swapped over back to the aquacomputer flow/temp sensor.

Comment

There isn’t an best for fittings/fans/etc. Its all about your budget , needs and preferences. Preferences are does it fit my case well, etc.

Your not going to get clear answer on it as everyone has own justification on what they want to use.

For example, if you want the best fittings people say any of the phantek, optimus, bitspower, ekwb torques but it comes down to preferences and budgets. Functional barrows /darkside does the same job as those companies. at fraction of the cost.

You got to ask yourself am i willing to pay 12.50usd for one Optimus Fittings (plus shipping and gst/pst). Same question with phantek fittings, super expensive. If you want them, must go through PPCS. Bitspower is not cheap either and for all color options (say royal blue) you got to order direct from BP Taiwan site or PPCS. Barrows/Byskiki has to be ebay/aliexpress/formulamod (from china). There lot of color options there too but modmymods is affordable place in the us (only black/white)
                        Last edited by section31; 10-29-2020, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Really need some help here. I am beyond frustrated.

1) In my reading/research, I have been finding it very difficult to find good sources for detailed info on various parts or brands for the "MINOR" parts of watercooling.
                          Basically in-depth reviews or detailed descriptions or comparison pieces that say more than "this is good quality".

Waterblocks and radiators are not too hard to find.
                          What I am looking for details and reviews on parts like
                          - controllers (fan, RGB etc)
                          - sensors
                          - fittings
                          - fluids

Any suggestions?

2) I have seen mentions that new Heatkiller rads are coming but no matter how much I search, I am unable to find an article or announcement or anything.
                          Does anyone have a source?
                          The source is overclock.net watercooling owners thread and heatkiller german forum. Watercool Jakob said it himself and me/some other users are trying to get more details. It’s same with Optimus leads. Please avoid that thread though, not official company thread so theres lot of filler posts . Aquacomputer leaks are done through its forum on its site.

Fyi: If going to ocn please be aware that site is full of the extreme setup people (worse than me). So expect people with chillers, mutiple 480mm/560mm rads plus external radiator setups. The bulk of them have caselabs cases so that why they can support it. These people spend more on cooling than the actual hardware.

Comment

I have known that heatkiller been working on new rad/fan controller since 2017. Just went silent till couple months ago when Jakob said the radcoming out in fall then now in Nov. Theres also an d5 next style pump that was seen in new years eve post by watercool. The fan controller is seen on dazmode visit to watercool couple years ago.

Comment

Optimus says a lot of upcoming products they want to come out with on that ocn thread but no one knows when they will. They already have issues meeting demands for there products. So please don’t take what Optimus says as truthful.

Comment

UPDATED Build (added to the main post)
                                Still need to get some basices: CPU, GPU, Glass tubing, Fittings, radiator, coolant.

**Parts**
                                CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
                                Monitor: Alienware 34 Monitor - AW3420DW (GSync unfortunately. Bought this long before I thought about building a PC)
                                CPU: AMD 5900
                                GPU: Radeon 6800 XT or 6900 XT
                                MOBO: ASUS Tuff Gaming X570 PRO (WiFi)
                                PSU: Corsair HX850i High Performance Power Supply
                                RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16
                                nVMe:
                                - XPG GAMMIX 2TB S11 Pro 3D NAND PCIe NVMe Gen3x4 M.2
                                - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2
                                Other Storage: TBD

**Watercooling**
                                CPU: EK-Velocity D-RGB – AMD Nickel + Plexi
                                TIM: Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut
                                GPU: TBD
                                Loop: Only CPU planned for now.
                                Radiator: 2x 360 Heatkiller (new one coming in November?)
                                Radiator Placement: Bottom and Top
                                Pump: EK-D5 PWM G2 Motor
                                Resevoir: HEATKILLER® Tube 150 D5 (Glass Reservoir with D5 Pump Mount) - Multi-Port Top Upgraded
                                Tubing: 16mm Glass tubes
                                Fittings: Bought a few different brands to test on the glass tubes
                                Exhaust Fans (3): EKWB EK-Vardar EVO 120S PWM 120mm (subject to change to Lian Li Unifan)
                                Intake Fans (6): EKWB EK-Vardar EVO 120S PWM 120mm (subject to change to Lian Li Unifan)

**Style and Colour Scheme (VERY Unfinished)**
                                Colour Scheme: UV Black/Black, Silver/Grey, Red
                                Lighting: D-RGB: plan to keep the RGB stuff single colour. One of the colours in the scheme or white.
                                - D-RGB: Fans, CPU Block, GPU Block, Flow/Temp Sensor, RAM
                                - TBD: Other UV or white light LEDS
                                Case: Glass with Black and Silver
                                Power Wiring: Tentative Cable Mode Cables. Not sure on the colours
                                Coolant: UV black? or Silver/Grey. Not sure
                                Radiator: Silver/Aluminum
                                Pump Cover: Black/Matte Black
                                Resevoir: Black and Silver/Aluminum OR Black and Blue? Black and Red?
                                nVME Heatsinks: Blue / Silver / Red
                                Fittings: Black or Silver or Black Nickel
                                Fans: Black with D-RGB

**Mods/Additional Touches**
                                360 Radiator gaskets
                                Control: Aquaero 6 LT USB
                                Sensors: Aquacomputer high flow NEXT (temp and flow)
                                Monitoring: Corsair (Power); AquaSuite? (Fans, temp, flow); ?? (D-RGB control, OLED Display control)
                                Fan & miscellaneous Wiring: TBD. Planning to get a sleeving kit
                                Small Transparent OLED display for monitoring stats (very long term)
                                AIDA software to program stats to display on transparent OLED. (very long term)

Comment

Working...
                                X