Adapter Voltage Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adapter Voltage Mod

My intent is to run 3 x Scythe AP-45s at 7v.

Please tell me if I'm on the right track:

1. Swap the ground(inside pin) for the 5 volt(outside pin) on the "3-pin Fan to 4-pin Molex adapter cable" (thus creating a 7 volt connection).

2. Into that plug in the "Triple standard fan power Y-cable splitter".

Thanks everyone
    Tie Fighter
    Caselabs Mercury S5, EVGA X99 Micro, 5930K, EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI, AX 1200i, 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

hey Vroom.

maybe you want to consider something like this?

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...ersion_-white/

or a good fan controller will also do the trick.

I've never tried switching wires on a molex, so someone else will have to confirm this process.
    HAF932 Mods
    C70 Mods

Comment

Plan is to set it and forget it with fans and keep it to a minimum with clean case facade, but I had seen the power stations. Always an option.
      Tie Fighter
      Caselabs Mercury S5, EVGA X99 Micro, 5930K, EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI, AX 1200i, 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

Comment

May depend on the power supply whether you can do that. Easy way to find out is to put a meter on the 12 volt and the 5, if you see a 7 volt drop you should be ok. Controller is a better solution though, you may have fan startup problems depending on the fan. Some will not even start to run until you hit 10 volts and then you can throttle them back to their minimum.
        3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by vroom View Post
          My intent is to run 3 x Scythe AP-45s at 7v.

Please tell me if I'm on the right track:

1. Swap the ground(inside pin) for the 5 volt(outside pin) on the "3-pin Fan to 4-pin Molex adapter cable" (thus creating a 7 volt connection).
          Yes. That'll work.
          BUT read this first:
          http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=372297

2. Into that plug in the "Triple standard fan power Y-cable splitter".
          This may or may not work. Best case scenario, works just fine. Worst case scenario, you short something out. Like the motherboard.

Like Gdesmo said, it depends on
          (a) your PSU has good V railings (high Amp ratings and stable voltage under load) to power the fans.
          (b) your fan. Able to run at 7V is one thing, able to run it on a series with 2 other fans is a different story. You may end up only reaching 5-6V and it may not be enough for the fan to even start.
          Thanks everyone
          NP. Bottom line, give it a shot, but test it first. Preferably using the PSU v-mod so you don't need a running motherboard.

Comment

Thanks all.

I picked up a multimeter yesterday and I found 4 pin molex with fan pass through in my parts bin so I'll give it a shot.

The Seasonic 760 Gold should be of sufficient quality.
            Tie Fighter

Comment

The Seasonic 760 Gold should be of sufficient quality.
              good choice. plenty adequate
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Davadin View Post
                Virtual rails... interesting. I would go for BP part although.
                Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                Venom Build: Build Log,
                Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                Orange Build: Final Video
                HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Yup, or controller.
                  3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

I hereby volunteer my psu and whatever else parts as the Dazmode test dummy lol.
                    Tie Fighter

Comment

To do what ?

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                        Virtual rails... interesting. I would go for BP part although.
                        yes, i would too. but just giving option to the guy

Comment

I hereby volunteer my psu and whatever else parts as the Dazmode test dummy lol.
                          Great. take some pics and post your results
                          HAF932 Mods
                          C70 Mods

Comment

Seasonic X-760 Gold. Moved molex pins around to get 7 V.

Scythe GT 45 confirmed to start at 7V. No whines or noises or any other weird stuff. Just a quieter fan. The sleeved Y Adapters that Daz sells will be cleaner than using the pass throughs that come with the fans as there isn't the extra molex hanging off the end. Haven't tried with multiple fans but no reason why a quality psu should not be able to handle this.

Tie Fighter

Comment

Cool!
                              __________________________________________________
                              Retro Build: Build Log,
                              Baby Blue Build: Build Log,
                              Green Lanten Build: Build Log,
                              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                              Venom Build: Build Log,
                              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                              Orange Build: Final Video
                              HTPC Build: Final Video
                              __________________________________________________

Comment

Working...
                              X