First Build of 2020! Vaporwave/Tron Inspired Build - First Build, All AMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Build of 2020! Vaporwave/Tron Inspired Build - First Build, All AMD

This was my first watercooled build, and really only my second time building a computer. Although not everything went according to plan, overall I'm very happy with it.

Watercooling Parts
    CPU - Bykski RYZEN-X-MK
    GPU - Bykski A-RX5700XT-X
    Pump/Res - Bykski B-TK-220
    Rads - 360mm Bykski Rad
    Fittings - Mostly Bykski, a couple 90 deg Darkside fittings
    Tubing - 14mm OD Bykski PETG
    Coolant -Mayhems Pastel White

Computer Parts
    CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
    Motherboard - Asus Strix X470-F
    RAM - 32GB G.Skill Tridentz RGB, 3200MHz CL16
    GPU - AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Anniversary Edition
    SSD - 1 TB WD Black NVMe SSD
    Fans - EZDIY-FAB Dual Frame
    Case - Fractal Design Vector RS
    Power Supply - EVGA NEX G 750 (next thing to upgrade, probably)

First of all, I realize that watercooling is total overkill for these components. This build was mostly for fun, learning, keeping noise down, and aesthetics.

I tried using 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get a satin look on the gpu block, pump/res and lines. This didn't work too well, as once the blocks are lit, scratches show through. I'm going to touch this up with a finer grit later. The tubes worked slightly better here (still would use finer grit) but unfortunately my next idea didn't.

I used 1/8" painters tape to mask off a line along each tube, hoping that the white coolant would show through well and maybe reflect some RGB goodness. I hit a couple bumps here. First, you can barely see these lines, and they're not much lighter than the black paint. Maybe some RGB fittings in the future would help? Secondly, because of the sanding, the tape did a bad job of holding a sharp edge, so I had to try and clean that up a bit. Thirdly, I suck at spray painting. Lots of imperfections. But overall, despite the shortcomings, it doesn't look too bad if you don't get too close!

Other than that, things went fairly smoothly.

Leave your thoughts and questions below! Few more pics: https://imgur.com/a/P8IlsjM
Working...
X