WTB 5800X3D / 5950X / Asus X370/x470 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB 5800X3D / 5950X / Asus X370/x470 mobo

was having a bunch of ram issues (with my $300 kit of b-die ram) so i changed out the ram, seemed fine for a while but still possibly having issues so looking to see if anyone had a 5950X or 5800X3D they want to sell. Currently running a 5900X so either would be an upgrade, don't really want to buy another of the same cpu, lol. I just bought a $250 kit of DDR4 but if I hadn't i'd probably just upgrade the whole system at this point to AM5. chasing gremlins is not fun.
    Or if anyone has an Asus x370/x470 crosshair hero i might be interested. I want to keep my monoblock and it only works with these 2 boards. I don't think its the motherboard but you never know.
    My Imgur

What kind of issues are you having?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclops View Post
      What kind of issues are you having?
      well before I changed out the ram if I left the computer alone for a while when I came back the screen would come on but it would be frozen. after forcing a shutdown by holding the power button it wouldn't post, it would give a post code associated with the ram. If I turned the power off to the PSU it would seemingly retrain the ram and would start again. this was using DOCP settings at 3200. a couple times the graphics driver was corrupted and I had to reinstall them. After turning the speed down to 2400 auto timings I didn't have any issues. also the GPU can run benchmarks for hours with no issues, it only ever happened when I left the PC alone doing nothing. Before I got new ram I checked and the infinity fabric would run at 1800 without problems, so seemed like the ram. (tried some other ram speeds and timings but anything above CL14 3200 (DOCP settings) wouldn't boot.) everything has been fine with the new ram for a few days, but the other day I came back to the PC and I thought it happened again, except it wasn't totally frozen, I could move the mouse pointer for about .5 seconds every 10 seconds. pressing ctrl+alt+delete took about 5 minutes to bring up the menu, and when it did everything was seemingly fine, so I rebooted and have been trying to see if I can replicate this issue again. new ram is running DOCP 3600 CL16.
      maybe it was a one time thing, but its so similar to what i was experiencing I started to 2nd guess myself. I opened an RMA for the ram but now I'm not even sure if thats the issue.
      in either setup I could turn the PC on and play games or use it for quite a while, it was just leaving it on for hours that caused the issue, never stressing the hardware. also never had any issues until last fall when I upgraded the ram, but its hard to say as they became more and more frequent over time. I upgraded my GPU in late January but im 99% sure the issue was happening before then, just very infrequently.
      oh and i ran windows memory diagnostic at 2400 on the old ram and it was fine, but the PC froze during the same test at 3200. i'm pretty sure that kit of ram is bad, but maybe something else is going as well. I did buy the CPU used on ebay last year, but like I said was all fine until ram. the only other odd thing is that in event viewer there is a ton(like 10 per hour) autopilot.dll errors, but that seems to be a feature of windows and I don't think is causing it.
      My Imgur

Comment

Originally posted by Necrodead View Post

well before I changed out the ram if I left the computer alone for a while when I came back the screen would come on but it would be frozen. after forcing a shutdown by holding the power button it wouldn't post, it would give a post code associated with the ram. If I turned the power off to the PSU it would seemingly retrain the ram and would start again. this was using DOCP settings at 3200. a couple times the graphics driver was corrupted and I had to reinstall them. After turning the speed down to 2400 auto timings I didn't have any issues. also the GPU can run benchmarks for hours with no issues, it only ever happened when I left the PC alone doing nothing. Before I got new ram I checked and the infinity fabric would run at 1800 without problems, so seemed like the ram. (tried some other ram speeds and timings but anything above CL14 3200 (DOCP settings) wouldn't boot.) everything has been fine with the new ram for a few days, but the other day I came back to the PC and I thought it happened again, except it wasn't totally frozen, I could move the mouse pointer for about .5 seconds every 10 seconds. pressing ctrl+alt+delete took about 5 minutes to bring up the menu, and when it did everything was seemingly fine, so I rebooted and have been trying to see if I can replicate this issue again. new ram is running DOCP 3600 CL16.
        maybe it was a one time thing, but its so similar to what i was experiencing I started to 2nd guess myself. I opened an RMA for the ram but now I'm not even sure if thats the issue.
        in either setup I could turn the PC on and play games or use it for quite a while, it was just leaving it on for hours that caused the issue, never stressing the hardware. also never had any issues until last fall when I upgraded the ram, but its hard to say as they became more and more frequent over time. I upgraded my GPU in late January but im 99% sure the issue was happening before then, just very infrequently.
        oh and i ran windows memory diagnostic at 2400 on the old ram and it was fine, but the PC froze during the same test at 3200. i'm pretty sure that kit of ram is bad, but maybe something else is going as well. I did buy the CPU used on ebay last year, but like I said was all fine until ram. the only other odd thing is that in event viewer there is a ton(like 10 per hour) autopilot.dll errors, but that seems to be a feature of windows and I don't think is causing it.
        Does seem like a RAM problem. Memory is so cheap these days, you can get a 3600 MHz CL18 kit for like 60 bucks so I'd say grab a spare if you have the money. Another suggestion would be a complete windows re-install. Ram instability can lead to file system corruption and cause major headaches. Another thing, check your 24-pin PSU cable, see if it's seated properly on the motherboard. A loose 3.3V wire is known to cause memory and stability issues.

Comment

thanks for the tips I'll give them a try. I did recently ad extensions to the mobo and GPU.

my buddy is laughing at me because I seem to have just horrible luck with ram. I've never had an issue with any other components, but this will be the 3rd kit of ram thats either not worked out of the box for me or failed after a time! First time it was my first PC build and I made the mistake of buying a 4000mhz kit of ddr3 and thought I bought incompatible ram, 2nd time was in 2017 with my first ryzen cpu and now this kit.

so far the issue hasn't happened again but could be windows, as I was writing up everything I did I was thinking I should do that.
          My Imgur

Comment

You can see if your 3 primary voltages are being supplied correctly using HWInfo64. Check the 3.3, 5, and 12V rails see if they are within acceptable ranges. Specially the 3.3V rail.

Comment

Working...
            X