Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colourworks by Engelmods

Hi Guys,

My name is Kenton, aka Mulletsoldier, and I have been building PCs for approximately 3 years. The build I'm entering into this competition will be my first hard tubing build and I'm very excited.

I am an RGB aficionado...or perhaps fanatic...though I'm often disappointed in the garish ways it's implemented. My intention with this build is to see whether I can make a complete RGB build where almost every component (save for the PSU) is RGB and yet it still looks like something an adult would own.

I am excited to get started and my first entry in this log should be next week. (Waiting on some 90 degree fittings.)

Good luck to the rest of the competitors!

Case:

Thermaltake View 91 RGB

Components:
    Motherboard - ASUS ROG Formula X
    CPU - Intel 8700k delid w/Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut
    GPU - EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 HydroCopper
    Memory - 32gb(4x8) G Skillz Trident RGB 3200mhz DDR4
    PSU - Corsair HX1000i

Storage:
    M.2 SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 250GB x1/500GB x 1
    SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Cooling components:
    CPU - Thermaltake LCS W4 Waterblock
    GPU - EVGA HydroCopper OEM waterblock
    Pump - Dark Side Vario D5
    Radiators - Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis 360 360mm GTS x 2 (Front and side-mounted)/XSPC EX 420 420mm (top-mounted)

Reservoir - Dark Side / Dazmode 310 Barrel with clear top

Fittings - Bitspower, Barrow, and Dazmode Darkside
    Tubing - Bitspower PETG

Fans - Corsair LL120 RGB (interior) x 6
    Corsair LL140 RGB (interior) x 9
    Thermaltake Riing 140 RGB x 7
    Corsair ML 120 x 6

I want to make a note on relative performance, here, and to demonstrate I'm not a moron. The LLs are terrible radiator fans over 1000RPM - both in terms of performance and dBa. But I have three radiators, in combination with the relatively higher static pressure MLs running on pull, to counteract that. The LLs in my current build never rise above 700RPM and my cooling temps (with the same setup, minus the built-in VRM cooling for the MOBO) are 28C idle and high 50s, low 60s load. I've used everything from Noctua NF-12s to EK Vardars to Thermaltake, and I've found maybe 5-7.5C difference with high static pressure fans, and this build is titled much more toward looks than performance.

Thought I would note that in advance!

Miscellaneous:

Created a custom PSU shroud with Engelmods logo - sent for laser cutting (bent, powdercoated, and logo designed by me). Going to integrate Dark Side LED strips into the design to provide a glow effect for the PSU (and the reason I didn't go with an RBG PSU).

Created custom design for glass panels - having those laser etched.

Painting the case in a metallic bronze sheen, so the metallic will peek through when the LEDs hit the case but it will look black as night when they're not on.

May throw some an acrylic reservoir in the build on one of the loops, and also etch that, if time, money, and space permits.

Excited to get started.

Woot! Good luck and have fun! I'm doing my first ever hard tube loop as well! Cant wait to see the results!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaidis86 View Post
      Woot! Good luck and have fun! I'm doing my first ever hard tube loop as well! Cant wait to see the results!
      Yes, you too! I'm excited to see what everyone comes up with! Your build sounds interesting and I was just on my way to comment in your thread.

Comment

Have you looked at the Lianli Bora RGB Lite (1500rpm) fans. I have the 2000rpm version but they really light up the PC compared to Corsair ones and look good too. Also lot less cable mess compared to Corsair (bulky controller). They are great deal compared to Corsair fans. (Lite: 55Cad for 3 Fans; Regular: 62USD+10ish USD Ship&Tax for 3 Fans). You can see the difference just from my pictures.

I've been thinking of throwing out the ML120 RGB i got for my friends build and replacing with Bora fans. Also, I was thinking of using them as radiator fans myself till I tried the Noctua A12x25 out.
        Last edited by section31; 09-07-2018, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a great build.
          .Looking forward to it
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Another high power build has entered the arena. Im stoked on this. Im expecting to see some insane stuff this year from everyone

Comment

What is missing is an actual monster build (TR2 2990X, SLI 2080TI, Watercooled Optane Drives, the bells and whistles) using all heatkiller stuff (esp the TR cpu block) in an high end case (EVOLV X, 1000D, Sma8 Revision, Enthoo Elite, Lianli V3000). Wish could get an hand on the prototype radiator, universal motherboard vrm block and fan controller they are working on at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post
                Have you looked at the Lianli Bora RGB Lite (1500rpm) fans. I have the 2000rpm version but they really light up the PC compared to Corsair ones and look good too. Also lot less cable mess compared to Corsair (bulky controller). They are great deal compared to Corsair fans. (Lite: 55Cad for 3 Fans; Regular: 62USD+10ish USD Ship&Tax for 3 Fans). You can see the difference just from my pictures.

I've been thinking of throwing out the ML120 RGB i got for my friends build and replacing with Bora fans. Also, I was thinking of using them as radiator fans myself till I tried the Noctua A12x25 out.
                Hey section! Yes, I considered the Boras. But all my peripherals are Corsair - mousepad, mouse, keyboard, headphone stand, and a friend is currently creating an epoxy river live slab desk for me that will feature their strips - so the LLs made more sense from that standpoint.

Comment

Build update #1:

I couldn’t sleep this morning, occupied mostly by thoughts of my build. (I assume we’’ve all been there.) Considering my wife is yet to divorce me given the amount of money I’’’ve spent on this yet-to-be assembled rig, I hopped online and made another purchase: a compressor and full kit.

I’m unlikely to do significant brush work on this build; however, I am assembling my own acrylic reservoirs and will use it to “air erase” my custom Colourworks logo on to the reservoirs.

The build might change, but my idea is to create a long, rectangular reservoir and buttress it up against my custom PSU shroud. I will have inlets on the front and outlets on the top. I will cut a divider for the middle to create two individual reservoirs out of the single block, one for the GPU loop and one for the CPU/MOBO loop.

By using this res as a junction, so to speak, I can eliminate superfluous bends, create another logo surface, and also - lol - integrate more RGB (as I’ll machine a channel in for a Dark Side strip [best RGB strips]).

What do you guys think?

(PS., I am capable of using apostrophes. For whatever reason, the forum and my phone conspire to prevent contractions.)

Comment

It would look nice for sure.

Makes sense why you went all Corsair, same with me when I built my my first rig. That desk looks cool.

Comment

Build update #2:

All my components are here! Tomorrow I pick up the custom PSU shroud I bent from the machine shop. Probably paint it tomorrow.

Comment

Build Update #3:

Today I modded and painted my View 91 case.

I cut a slot on the motherboard frame to reverse the radiator supports. This way, the 2nd 360mm radiator that I’m side mounting will be flush with the front mounted 360mm radiator.

I painted the frame a deeper, glossier black than the stock frame and then used a bronze flake to give the frame a pearlescent effect. It’s very subtle and looks black without lights directly on it, but the RGBs shining everywhere should bring out that glow.

Comment

Build update #5:

Received the custom PSU I’d made back from the machine shop, who cut the logo into it. Looks pretty slick!

I’m now waiting for my custom reservoir to come in, along with a piece of perforated aluminum I need to create a new floorboard for the case.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice work around the case. Elegant look!

Comment

Thanks! I'm in a bit of a holding pattern this week, as my custom acrylic reservoir is being engraved and taking considerably longer than I anticipated.

Today or tomorrow I'm probably going to paint my Noctua NF-A14s and modify the included fan brackets. I'd like to mount the 4 included Riing fans vertically (as intakes), rather than horizontally. While the View 91 may not have as many features as other supertowers, it has one feature which I greatly appreciate: fully modular. I've essentially completely changed this case with little additional effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X