Colourworks by Engelmods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build update #20:

I am endlessly frustrated right now. Unfortunately, my pass-through holes didn't line up the way I'd like them to - probably because I hadn't removed the GPU loop prior to installation. (Couldn't get a good eye-line.)

Because there's no point in taking an expedient route when I've already spent this much time on my project, I've stripped the case pair and drained the GPU loop as well. Essentially, this will be my second build from scratch.

Comment

Build update #21:

I've spent the past few days printing 3D parts with my brother to expand my CNC's work area and allow me to work on larger projects. Unfortunately, I leave for Vegas on Sunday, and I'm unsure how much I'll get finished between now and then.

I am, however, working on some renderings that I can share. This photo is for the front panel/rad covers. This is the base, and likely additional decorative acrylic will go on top.

Comment

Very nice design. Keep it up!

Comment

If what I’m trying works out (though it may fail), I should have a build that can be shown off from both sides.

The View 91 is tempered glass on three sides, and it seems a shame to neglect one side completely!

Comment

Build update #22:

I finally had some uninterrupted patches of time to work on Colourworks. I have most of the front-facing plumbing done. I need to connect the GPU loop

The geometric theme for the tubing is parallel lines. I’m trying to plumb the build such that all lines have a parallel. To complete the GPU loop, I will probably turn that fitting in the opposite direction and have it come towards the camera in parallel with the other two runs - then up and parallel with the run emerging from the GPU.

Comment

Build update #23:

I’m back from traveling. Does it make me obsessed if I thought about my build 45% of the time? And how I’m itching to tear down this build I’ve yet to finish and start a new one. #obsessed

At any rate, despite the fact it’s obviously unnecessary, I run a full clean each time I disassemble and reassemble a loop - even if it’s the same coolant. So on Sunday I disassembled the rads for Mayhems Part 1. This morning I flushed them out, then mixed Part 2. I used to follow the instructions exactly and run the pump, but now I simply fill each part (pump, res, blocks, and rads) with Part 2 and soak them for 24 hours. I haven’t seen a meaningful difference between the two methods and this way is much easier.

Tomorrow I’ll reassemble everything!

Comment

Nice bit of kit, and lots of custom touches. Good job! Waiting for the big non-garish RGB reveal

Why two loops? Also, will be interesting to see how much the pull fans affect the push.

Comment

Redundancy and flow restriction. With this current configuration, I'd estimate my flow rate is reduced by 30% on the CPU loop. (Many 90s, especially on the backend from the passthroughs.) Then I like having two separate loops for maintenance/cleaning/redundancy purposes.

In the previous configuration, I was idling at 26-30 (depending on ambient temperature) and topping a AIDA64 stress test at 60. That's with the computer inaudible and at 5.2GHz. If I didn't mind noise, I could probably idle around 22 and top out at 55. But I value silence over temp, which is why I went with two rads in push/pull for the CPU loop.

I only have the Corsair LL 120s on the GPU rad, which are loud/obnoxious, terrible rad fans. Luckily a 360mm rad is massive for a GPU loop, so my temps were similar there, as well.

And thanks! I have all these little touches I've been saving for my glamour shots. I really can't wait to show them off. (Now hopefully my CNC which has been throwing temper tantrums the past few weeks will cooperate.)

Comment

I actually finished all the plumbing and cable management this week. I made a few passes at the front cover I designed, but my CNC ain’t having it. So I ordered a laser diodes.

Also did some glass etching today!

Soon as I get these bits in I’m finished. Can’t wait to show you guys.
                    Last edited by Mulletsoldier; 11-03-2018, 02:37 AM.

Comment

I should mention that the etching was drying when I took that. It doesn’t look that janky.

Comment

Ok. So I’m not in any way, shape, or form finished, but I thought I’d show off the build lit up.

This is without a few of the other lighting touches I have planned, the front cover for the rads, a proper ceiling and a few other things.

Comment

Couple more of the vinyl decals I made with my die cutter, and some up close shots of the runs.

I really hope my diode laser arrives this week. I can finish up the glass etching, the ceiling, etc., and show you guys a finished build.

Comment

That looks amazing!

Comment

Very nice! And as promised, not garish at all as many RGB implementations can be.

Do you know if it is possible with Aura to define the colours that it uses in Smart mode for CPU load, or temperature? I'd like to have the colours on my jet engine themed build ramp through a user defined spectrum to simulate jet exhaust temperature, but it looks look you can only use 3 discrete colours: green/yellow/red.

Comment

Thanks guys. As I say, there's still about 15-20% left to go - all the decorative flourishes that will really tie this build together. Then I'll take and upload some glamour shots.

And no, I don't believe you can. Aura is pretty limited.

In what context would you like to feature the light. For the light effect on my PSU shroud, I hacked apart some Thermaltake radiator light strips. That way, I have full user-defined software control over the lighting effect on my PC itself - and TT RGB, while sometimes obnoxious, is very versatile. I actually have another strip on the bottom of the part of the PSU where I also machined, and some pretty cool designs I'm going to route into the front cover - stash some of the strips behind there, as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X