Dr. Peltier recycling a hot Storage Server, time for a Brain Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Peltier recycling a hot Storage Server, time for a Brain Freeze

As a quick small update on Professor Chill (Don't believe I ever did coin a name for last years build) I have a bleeding issue with the rear loop, even with the longest Res I could get the air bubbles still shoot down far enough to get sucked back into the loop... I tried slowing down the loop but then I can't get the air out... meh new design underway. Overall the system stay mighty chill even under a full gaming load with the Oculus hitting only 18C on the CPU and GPU loop with ambient temp at 23C

Welcome to Dr, Peltier's 2018 build log!

Summary
    There is this server I had previously built a few years ago, that is lacking in cold air. Thus what a perfect project to get cooling down. I plan to recycle all of the hardware parts and add a peltier plate in order to keep the CPU and HDD's cool.

Parts
    Case: Fractle Design, Node 804
    Mobo: Supermicro x8sil-f
    CPU: Intel, Xeon X3480
    RAM: Kingston, 4x4GB ECC
    HDD Storage: Western Digital, 6x8TB Red
    SSD Cache: Corsair, 90GB Force 3
    NVMe Cache: Intel, 256GB 600P
    Flash OS: Kingston, 8GB Traveler
    PSU: Corsair, RM650 Full Module
    Fan's/Cooling: Corsair, 120mm AF, Noctua 120mm Slim
    Peltier Plate: 360W

Watercooling
    CPU: Bitspower universal Acrylic Black, Nickel
    Peltier plate: 2x EK-Supremacy EVO Threadripper Edition, Nickel
    Rad: 2x EK-120 Coolstream SE, 1x EK-240 Coolstream SE
    Pump: Laing DDC 3.2 PWM in a Protium Acetal case, EK-XTOP SPC-60 PWM
    Res: Aquatube Round Acetal Black, Bitspower Hexagon Tank
    Tube: Bitspower PETG 12mm
    Special Fittings: 2x Bitspower 12mm 90deg, Darkside Long and Short Resivouir Flow Diversions, 2x Bitspower Ball valve, Bitspower Vent

Custom Sleaving
    Wire: Southwire 18AWG 16 strand
    Crimps: DazMode ATX 24-18AWG
    Connectors: Darkside all ends
    Combs: Combination of Close loop and Open-Closed all from Darkside
    Sleeving: I actually kinda forget its a plastic type dense weave, picked it up a long long time ago
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Markes12344; 12-02-2018, 07:42 PM.

Woo! Great to see another build in the fray! Good luck! Mod on!

Comment

Professor Chill was such an amazing build to follow. Good to see you back again this year, Doc!

Comment

Another awesome sounding build this year.
        Really looking forward to it.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Well some unfortunate news in the community, as many of you may know, Daz is currently mornin the recent loss of an immediate family member.
          On some not so unfortunate news, I got out of the hospital Wednesday night (Thursday morning) at 02:00, don't worry nothing to serious, but this dose allow me to be on a quick little sick leave, so I started prepping my build.
          Fortunately I have alot of wire accessories still from last year, it's truley the grown up's lego to me, I need more! lol
          So I put an order in today for res pump rads and blocks, as well as a couple more wire connectors, hopefully see them by the middle of next week, and than start at the main layout by the end of the month , to which more pictures can come, as well as I can then get a fitting order in. I kinda feel like doing this build with 12mm tubing rather than 16mm buh i'll need to reaserch a little more tho. Sure I can bring my schooling outa the memory bank and calculate line pressure, buh google knows all and im sure someones already compared and tested the difference in the two tubings.

So with that i'll bring this post to a end for now, maybe i'll start some wire runs and get a head start on that.

PS this year i'll defiently not be using 16awg, well maybe on a certian lil 360W plate i'll need bigger wire, like 30amps... that's alota lil magic pixies to pass through a wire.

Comment

So had some spare wire n what not kicking around so decided to make a trial run on this HDD power delivery, but yes this is 16awg, and no I can not get the caps on the passthrough connectors.. picking up 18awg right soon... overall I have to find a way to make the heatshrink all the same size, I learned that you can't simply leave this sleeving loose, nor dose it burn nicely being this PET-x fiber material... its more melty n plastic. The sleeving I used last year was fantastic, but I need to use this stuff up somewhere and colour matching an ROG mobo and ram isn't a factor this year.
            Overall it dose actually look fairly good, I'm sure once I get 18awg wire and all the heatshrink the same length this will look excellent.

Comment

Spiiiiffy! Super tight and clean. I love when things work like that. Looking good man!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaidis86 View Post
                Spiiiiffy! Super tight and clean. I love when things work like that. Looking good man!
                Thanx bud, good for a trial that's for sure.
                I'd head on over n view yours buh I tend to not view any other compitition build till after the compitition ends, it keeps my hopes higher as I tend to be a lil below amature yet it skill.. Plus it's easier for me to say i didn't copy anyone if I never seen anyone's lol..
                Goodluck tho

Comment

I totally getcha! This is my first ever build for a competition! So I'm eager to see what everyone else has to offer!

Comment

Got some 16AWG wire today, what a difference!

Comment

Twas a bit of x-mas yesterday, this should give me a good start this weekend, than a fitting order and should be off to the finish line... oh yea base ball tourney this weekend.. Guess i'll just have the nights after work to pluck away slowly till next weekend.

Comment

Doing some testing right now, waiting for it to equalize, but I feel I need to add that 240 rad to the hot side as well... or just plain swap out the 120 rad on the hot side.

Comment

How helpful do you find the temperature monitor. I already have the flow meter and am debating if i need to add temp one to really determine whether i need more radiators or its just my cpu (7920x delidded at 70-80) can only cool down so much. Reading other forums, some people can cool 7980xe at 4.8ghz (super low voltage too) do it at the 50-60 range just using an mo-ra radiator or single 480/520mm radiator. Sometimes even 360mm rad with 3000rpm noctua or delta fans.
                          Last edited by section31; 09-28-2018, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post
                            How helpful do you find the temperature monitor. I already have the flow meter and am debating if i need to add temp one to really determine whether i need more radiators or its just my cpu (7920x delidded at 70-80) can only cool down so much. Reading other forums, some people can cool 7980xe at 4.8ghz (super low voltage too) do it at the 50-60 range just using an mo-ra radiator or single 480/520mm radiator. Sometimes even 360mm rad with 3000rpm noctua or delta fans.
                            I have 2 water cooled pc's already and they all have inline temp readers, I find them handy for hot days incase i need to ramp up my pump speed. I also use them to compare water temp to block temps (CPU/GPU) this helps understand if it is rad issue or block issue. I find the flow meter handy to help tell me if the blocks are getting plugged up/or pump stopping, so good choice there.. Even tho I have all thease reasons for the temp monitor, not sure if your typical gamming rig really needs it, most computers can alarm if CPU/GPU get to hot and that in the end is what really matters.
                            As for me the biggest reason why i need it, is to see how my peltier plate is doing, no pc monitor will tell me that info, so I rely on the inlines.

hope this helps, sorry for taking a few days, I thought I had notification sent to email, apparently not..

Comment

So I kinda new this was going to happen, not enough radiator in for this big of a Peltier Plate... went down to a 30w plate and the 240 rad was enough to cool the water to ambient than the cold side was able to take ambient down a several degrees below ambient, but unfortunately once at the 120 rad the air comming off was only a couple degrees below ambient. Plus this isn't even including a CPU in the loop. Unfortunately i can't fit a hole lota rad in this small case, so im going to try and squeeze a second pump/res/loop into the case in order to still use the 300W plate. But it's starting to look like I'll need to just go another route and get one crazy idea to mod this case with, otherwise im sorry guys I may have to pull out.

Comment

Working...
                              X