Old Fashioned by Zjr8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fashioned by Zjr8

Hi Forum Community – I hope this post finds everyone well! This post will be edited and expanded upon as time allows, as unfortunately I’ve been rather busy of late. However, this should not affect my entry into this year’s mod contest (minus this sparse post you are reading now) ! This will be my first time entering any sort of contest related to modding or pc building, I would say I’m both excited and slightly nervous of what to expect but I will do my best to not let it deter me from trying to make something awesome.

Build Plan: Planning on building / modifying a Tower 900 into an old style retro popcorn machine on a cart with a number of fun / exciting / pointless (but entertaining) modifications. Planning on doing hard tube in the front compartment of the case with soft tube in the back.

Components: (Some parts are subject to change or undecided as I tend to buy lots of random stuff from people…. In addition, random trades so)

Base System
    CPU: Ryzen 1600x
    RAM: 16GB DDR4 G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz (in b4 ryzen memory controller comments)
    GPU: FuryX
    Motherboard : GA-AX370-Gaming K7
    Liquid Cooling
    Radiator: Dual Darkside 480mm Radiator
    CPU Block: EK-FB GA AX370 Gaming RGB Monoblock
    Pump:
    Res:
    Other
    Time
    Effort
    Pico Projector
    3d Printer
    On-Glass Projection Films

Build Log

Test Painting

Having never done any custom PC paining before I decided to take advantage of our warm weather to-do some test painting on the case I was planning to work with to gain a little bit of practice. Will post pics later
    1. Disassemble Tower 900
    2. Sand + Prime
    3. Dry and Wait
    4. Paint
    5. Dry
    6. Repeat
    Trying to find the photos I took of the painting in progress - end result of test paint was not as terrible as I thought it would be - minus the color difference between the metal body and plastic top. Will resolve this when repaint time comes

Last edited by Zjr8; 09-14-2018, 08:15 PM.

Yes, phones suck
    Need a big screen to do a nice log.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Really like the new case colour! twas back in September, for some reason I fear you gave up... maybe see you again next year? i'd hope so

Comment

Didn't give up just been busy - there was more to the project that I had to cut due to totally reading the deadline wrong (thought I had until December 23rd lol and not the 3rd) - currently sitting here waiting for my vinyl to finish printing and cutting. Will be writing a log out like crazy later. Some pics of stuff bleeding at the moment. Original plan was old time popcorn machine on a wooden cart with an actual popcorn machine inside... but I couldn't bring myself to angle grind large portions of the tower away.... Will take pics on not a potato later

Last edited by Zjr8; 12-03-2018, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Need to find some time in the next 3 hours to write up some proper words to go here.... not expecting to win anything but at least I can say I still *finished* the build to an extent..... Will probably still wind up building the cart and making things a little bit nicer as time allows. Had to drain the loop and refill it between previous photos and now to fix a loop mistake I made - had inlet and outlet reversed on the CPU block and killed my flow.... Honestly wish I had been able to put more time into the project as right now its rather sad and I almost feel embarrassed with it right now. Lots of really nice builds this year from people!
          Old Fashioned by Zjr8

Comment

I love how awesome this looks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.PipeBomb View Post
              I love how awesome this looks!
              Thanks - once winter starts / ends I hope to get back into the wood shop and get the cart built to actually get it looking like my original plan which is something like this. Will probably still add some rear projection film to the glass once canada post starts taking packages from china again and slot a aliexpress pico projector in somewhere and hope it doesn't start a fire lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	Paragon_Nostalgic_Old_Fashioned_1911_Popcorn_Machine_and_Cart.jpg Views:	2 Size:	24.3 KB ID:	85491
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Zjr8; 12-05-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Nice concept. How appropriate that your OS has a kernel

Comment

Working...
                X