No announcement yet.

Project : Glass Cannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are a good guy and glad I got the opportunity to help with the renderings. It was fun
    -dave

Comment

That looks like a ‘win if you can pull it off!

Comment

Looks amazing Seboo
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

It is an awesome project !

Comment

You may have already mentioned this, but how much of the machining are you doing yourself?

Comment

I hope it will be every single part. Maybe I'll have to trick the pump tops parts, we'll see. I have enough material to fail twice. If I fail more than that, it will require more material... or I'll surrender this project due to lack of time/money. But I'm pretty confident!

Comment

Nice! This far exceeds my ability with an X-Carve!

Comment

This is some pro looking work! Those renders are amazing! I wish I still had easy access to the machine shop I used to work at. I wanna try making my own distro plates

Comment

Cant wait to see parts, comming along
                    Hugues P
                    nothing else...

Comment

Very ambitious and unique design, I look forward to the implementation. So, will you be able to solve the cube?

Comment

Insane!

Comment

Hey guys,
                          Time for a huge update. I've been waiting for this for almost a year and now it's coming along. The machining is done, and it's time to prepare the parts, tap a lot of holes and assemble the case. Here's some photos and comments of the journey:

That's the CNC we were using for the machining. 4'x8', huge and sturdy. Up to 1/2'' shank diameter tools, it was enough to do every parts without any major struggle.

A test part made of cheap plastic. Trying to see if the o-ring groove's dimensions are correct and to make sure the tools are OK for the job.
                          After some speed and RPM adjustments, it was time to machine the first panel:

Carving the reservoirs in a 16''x16''x1/2'' panel. The reservoir panel will actually be 14''x14'' in the end. Using a 2-flutes 1/4'' end mill.

Machining the groove for the o-ring around the reservoir.

Zero-ing the Z-axis after changing the end mill for a chamfer mill for the 45 degrees angle chamfer around all edges.

Producing a lot of acrylic chip that sticks to everything!

The final up face of the first panel. Now machining the back, D5 pocket and cable management channels:

I left all the paper on the panels, trying to reduce the amount of scratches that I'll have to polish afterwards.
                          Total time of machining :2 hours 30 minutes. For one. Single. Panel.
                          I have 9 1/2'' thick parts, and 5 1/4'' thick parts. It took 2 days of machining, roughly 12 hours. Plus the 12-15 hours of programming and testing.

The process is very similar for all the other parts: 1/4'' end mill for large cutouts, 1/16'' end mill for the o-ring grooves and pre-tapping holes, a 45 degrees chamfer mill, and a 82 degrees countersink mill for the 1/4'' panels. Seems simple, but it requires a lot of preparation and accuracy.
                          Here's the other parts machined:

The pump top that will hold the D5 and direct the flow. Tricky and fragile part, but so pretty!

The GPU distribution plate. I'm scared to see the fit and the seals for this part. The accuracy needed from the measurements and the machining is very high.

The o-ring groove that will connect the GPU waterblock with the distribution plate. Hope it seals well.

There's a lot of sanding/polishing around the corner for me. I want a crystal clear look for the majority of the surfaces.

Next steps: Tapping, custom o-rings, leak testing and assembly! That's a preview of the next update, stay tuned!

Comment

Amazing Seboo! That is quite the machine your friend has, you must be learning a lot. Is it a hobby for him? Think how much easier the next case will be

What kind of software did you use to lay it all out? That must have taken quite a while as well...

Comment

WELL, Competition is over, everyone pack up and go home.
                              Seboo has this in the bag

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                                Amazing Seboo! That is quite the machine your friend has, you must be learning a lot. Is it a hobby for him? Think how much easier the next case will be

What kind of software did you use to lay it all out? That must have taken quite a while as well...
                                Thanks Grinder!
                                It is a hobby/job, he's a metal worker and likes to machine things.
                                And yeah, it will be easier next time... unless I do something stupidly complex
                                Edit: Forgot the softwares:
                                Mastercam for the programming and Mach3 for the machining.

Originally posted by Mr.PipeBomb View Post
                                WELL, Competition is over, everyone pack up and go home.
                                Seboo has this in the bag
                                Don't put me in the first place right now, you haven't seen all other builds that have entered the competition
                                And it's far from done, I may encounter some major problems and couldn't make it to the finish line.
                                But I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X