No announcement yet.

Project : Glass Cannon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done my friend! I cant wait to see it complete, its going to be mind blowing!

Comment

Originally posted by dknourek View Post
      Well done my friend! I cant wait to see it complete, its going to be mind blowing!
      I want it to be as great as your renders

Comment

Originally posted by Seboo View Post

I want it to be as great as your renders
        I have full confidence after seeing the production photos that it will be MUCH better than the renderings

Comment

As the competition reaches its end, I need to accelerate the pace in order to finish this build on time. After a lot of tapping, screwing and leak testing, the assembly of the case continues.

Most of the 1/4'' thick panels only need G1/4 threads. With a 11.8mm hole for tapping, the tap did it's job but the acrylic was screaming in pain, asking me to stop! Anyways, it produces a nice G1/4 thread for all the fittings:

Next, it was the all the 8-32 taps. Starting with the taper tap (left), and finishing with the bottom one (right), it was easier this way to have a straight tapped hole.

Tapping is done, then onto the custom o-ring. I'm using 1/16'' o-ring cord stock (actually .070'' diameter), a groove depth of .054'' (around 75% of the diameter) and a width of 0.080'' (115% of the diameter). The stock cord is cut and glued with some Loctite 406, ideal for rubber:

Once the 1/4'' panel squeezes the 1/2'' one, it creates a watertight seal (fingers crossed). Using 8-32 stainless steel countersink screws for the panels, 5-40 stainless steel countersink screws for the pump tops/ring:

And the assembly of the 2 panels is accurate, I like it:

With pumps, pump tops and pump ring assembled:

All the o-rings seems to be well squeezed, so I'm pretty confident about the leak test. I filled the CPU-RAM and the GPUs distribution plate and it went great. No leaks, no major issues:

​​​​​​​
          The reservoir panel will be leak-tested this weekend, with the pumps running. Hope it works! For the next update, I will work around the 1/8'' thick stainless steel stand I just received:

Stay tuned!

Comment

Looks great! I'd say no leaks so far is a good sign that you did everything right.

Stainless looks good too, how did you cut/bend it?

Comment

Looking fantastic! Cant wait to see it all assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                Looks great! I'd say no leaks so far is a good sign that you did everything right.

Stainless looks good too, how did you cut/bend it?
                Cut with a Trumpf TRUMATIC L6050 CNC Laser Cutter, and bent with a Trumpf TRUBEND 5130. Gotta make a good use of the machines I have at my job!

Today, it wasn't as easy as the other leak test I did earlier this week. I had a rough time making the reservoir panel watertight:

That's the channel that guides the fluid right after going into the pump. I had to disassemble the whole thing and figure out a way to fix it. Also, the custom pump top was leaking too. And by leaking, I mean the reservoir was empty after 10s after I started the pump.

My guess is that the depth of the pump pocket wasn't deep enough. The 3mm o-ring sealing the pump and the pump top isn't squeezed properly. It may be the machining, but the 2 tops are identical, and they both leaked. So, my design wasn't as good as I thought. I found the solution by doubling the 3mm o-ring with a 1/16'' o-ring, pressing them gently with the pump ring and... voilà!

2-3 drops leaking/minute, with some minor fixes, I should be able to make it. Let me tell you, it's not easy, but so satisfying!

Comment

That sucks about the leaks but glad you are finding solutions

Comment

Nice, I wish I had access to the equipment you are using on this build! Seems kinda like our builds are analog vs digital, with all the CAD/CAM you have going on. It is ironic that I'm not the digital one. Despite my name (it's a gaming thing), my background is in software engineering, not working with a grinder.

Glad to see you work your way through was is essentially an untested prototype. Keep it up!

Comment

And the pre-assembly continues:

Now that the GPU distribution plate has been leak-tested, I can mount it permanently to the GPU waterblocks. The o-rings seem to seal well and hold the pressure:

Everything fits well. The GPUs won't sag, I can tell you. With the SLI bridge and the distribution plate, the sag is non-existent and the whole assembly is sturdy. I'm kinda suprised of how solid it is, I could lift the whole thing by the distribution plate.

My measurements seem to be good, and the CPU-RAM distribution plate will come next. The holes are aligned, it's now a matter of cutting small tubes and mounting everything onto the board.

Comment

wow ! this is insane !

Comment

Build is looking amazing!!
                          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Seeing this come together is blowing my mind! I might have to poke you for some CAD/CAM files after this is all done! I just ordered a Shapeoko 3 XXL 2 days ago

phenomenal work dude! If you're not being asked to join pro teams, you need some more exposure! You should definitely be attending the big competitions in Europe with skills like this!!

The Lightbringer is gonna have a tough time holding a candle to this!!

Comment

Mind blowing!
                              __________________________________________________
                              Retro Build: Build Log,
                              Baby Blue Build: Build Log,
                              Green Lanten Build: Build Log,
                              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                              Venom Build: Build Log,
                              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                              Orange Build: Final Video
                              HTPC Build: Final Video
                              __________________________________________________

Comment

Thank you guys for the kind words, I appreciate it!

Originally posted by Kaidis86 View Post
                                Seeing this come together is blowing my mind! I might have to poke you for some CAD/CAM files after this is all done! I just ordered a Shapeoko 3 XXL 2 days ago

phenomenal work dude! If you're not being asked to join pro teams, you need some more exposure! You should definitely be attending the big competitions in Europe with skills like this!!

The Lightbringer is gonna have a tough time holding a candle to this!!
                                Whoa, nice purchase! I want a CNC like this in my future garage... and do things on my own and learn more of the CNC stuff!
                                I'll be happy to help you out with what I know!

So, back to the build. I continued working around the pre-assembly of the panels and the parts:

Placing the LED strips under the motherboard, in channels specially made for for them. Close fit!
                                Now, sliding the sleeved cables in the pass-thru holes:

That's a lot of cables.

It's getting out of hand!

Ahh... much better.
                                On the next picture, I snapped one cable from my Skyline build. I knew I've made a better job this year on the look of the cables. I'm happy with the result:

Mounted the power switch before wiring it to the motherboard. It doesn't even need the locknut to stay in place:

The case stand also got a little attention, as it got welded and buffed:

About an hour later, the grinding is done and the stand is ready to be sanded down to a better finish:

Still a lot of work left to do: sleeving fan cables, sanding the stand, polishing the acrylic, final assembly... phew.
                                Let's do this!

Comment

Working...
                                X