Comment

Fantastic work.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

cool, concept reminds me of ION cube I did for nvidia contest nearly decade ago, https://www.engadget.com/2009/11/13/...esign-contest/

Comment

Originally posted by Seboo View Post
            Thank you guys for the kind words, I appreciate it!

Whoa, nice purchase! I want a CNC like this in my future garage... and do things on my own and learn more of the CNC stuff!
            I'll be happy to help you out with what I know!

So, back to the build. I continued working around the pre-assembly of the panels and the parts:

Placing the LED strips under the motherboard, in channels specially made for for them. Close fit!
            Now, sliding the sleeved cables in the pass-thru holes:

That's a lot of cables.

It's getting out of hand!

Ahh... much better.
            On the next picture, I snapped one cable from my Skyline build. I knew I've made a better job this year on the look of the cables. I'm happy with the result:

Mounted the power switch before wiring it to the motherboard. It doesn't even need the locknut to stay in place:

The case stand also got a little attention, as it got welded and buffed:

About an hour later, the grinding is done and the stand is ready to be sanded down to a better finish:

Still a lot of work left to do: sleeving fan cables, sanding the stand, polishing the acrylic, final assembly... phew.
            Let's do this!
            Good lord this is on another level!

Who machined all this for you? At your work?

Comment

oh boy. I have some serious competition, looks great!
              That's what you call the wall of water channels.. a distribution block, I never new, just always seen them around. Kind of like the mono block on my Maximus from Professor Chill in last years build.
              Looks like you can stack some dimes... almost looks like a flux core mig. so I'd presume you just ran beads after you tact it all together, sure would be a lot of chipping if you tac welded the whole thing.
              Overall Sure is a pretty amazing build, I hope you can post the final pictures before the deadline, the concept art on first page that you did looks like it would really help in designing the system, what computer program do you use?
              Would also like to know how that designer was able to make that builds concept art looks so realistic! wow kudos to him

Comment

Thank you guys for the kind words, I really appreciate.

Mulletsoldier It's Francois, from the forum. We live in the same area and he has a CNC router in his basement. He helped me a lot with the machining.

Markes12344 I used the Solidworks software for the CAD screenshots. And I think Dave Knourek used Keyshot for the renders. He has talent for sure!

Comment

Hey guys,

The final update is coming!I took a few shots of the final steps of assembly before filling the loop. It was the first time that I had all the panels screwed together, sitting on the stainless stand:

If you accidentally hit it, it would fall for sure. And if the acrylic falls on the ground, it shatters:

I was drilling 10-24 pre-tap holes on the reservoir panel on the press drill when I dropped the pump/reservoir on the ground. One second of distraction, the vise wasn't secured on the the press drill plate and it fell on the ground. A 3 feet drop. Lucky me... It did not break far enough to scrap the panel. The pumps were OK and I leak-tested the reservoir and it was still watertight. Phew!...

After this, I've had a hard time with the CPU-RAM distribution plate. When I made my initial design on Solidworks, I took a 1070Ti PCB for reference in my CAD. Compared to my 970s, a 1070Ti is wider and I didn't notice that. When I tried to fit the distribution plate in, there was an interference between the RAM waterblock and the plate. So I had to remove the waterblock to be able to fit the the plate... It was the simplest solution, and I didn't have time to machine another plate or reroute the loop.

I bypassed the RAM waterblock and now it's not blending with the rest of the motherboard assembly:

Anyways, I'm happy with the result, if you don't focus on the RAM:

Sliding the motherboard assembly into the case, with the CPU cables and the sleeved pump cables:

Assembling the radiator plate with the 2x280mm rad:

Balancing all that stuff on the stand wasn't fun. That thing is heavy! And the acrylic is so fragile, I thought it was going to break in half at some point when I was holding it. But the case made it onto the stand:

A lot of things didn't go as planned:
                  • The RAM waterblock had no room, so I had to remove it;
                  • Since the GPU distribution plate is lower than expected, the alignment with the radiator plate is wrong and a lot more fittings/tubing were needed to link them;
                  • Not enough time to sand/polish the stainless steel stand;
                  • Not enough time to sand/polish the acrylic edges and make the panels completely crystal clear on every surface;
                  • The cables aren't as tidy as I would like, but it was the best I could do with the time I had.
                  Still, I am proud of it. Not as perfect as I wanted it to be, but I like its look.

Filling and finals shots coming later today, stay tuned!

Comment

Originally posted by Seboo View Post
                    Thank you guys for the kind words, I really appreciate.

Mulletsoldier It's Francois, from the forum. We live in the same area and he has a CNC router in his basement. He helped me a lot with the machining.

Markes12344 I used the Solidworks software for the CAD screenshots. And I think Dave Knourek used Keyshot for the renders. He has talent for sure!
                    Cool! In that case you should share the title with him, haha.

With machining this precise, the CAD part is easy. The CAM side is where things get hairy.

EDIT: To clarify, just a joke. Don't want a misunderstood joke implying that I'm taking anything away from this gorgeous work.

Comment

As a quick polish, if you have access to a store that provides grinder disks... Look for a fin grit flap disk. Get a couple than as a neat design/finish grind the steel in steady spots, place the disk on the steel hold and lift straight off, move over 4ish inches and repeat.. In the end it'll end up lookin like fish scales

Comment

Trying ho google what i mean and it's impossible... I'll demonstrate on a piece of steel first thing in the morning n send a pic your way...

Looks fantastic either way kudos...

I tried using acrylic as a wire comb last year, you sir aced it.

Comment

Originally posted by Markes12344 View Post
                          Trying ho google what i mean and it's impossible... I'll demonstrate on a piece of steel first thing in the morning n send a pic your way...

Looks fantastic either way kudos...

I tried using acrylic as a wire comb last year, you sir aced it.
                          Thanks Markes! Love you build as well, great job mate.

Originally posted by Mulletsoldier View Post

Cool! In that case you should share the title with him, haha.

With machining this precise, the CAD part is easy. The CAM side is where things get hairy.

EDIT: To clarify, just a joke. Don't want a misunderstood joke implying that I'm taking anything away from this gorgeous work.
                          To make CAM easier, you have to work hard on the CAD, and I think I worked hard enough But I know what you mean, no misunderstanding. CAM can be so frustrating, and lucky me I had him to help me out.

Comment

After a crazy November month, here it is. Not completely as I wanted it to be, but I present you my last post for the competition.

Filling the 2 reservoirs and getting the 2 loops into the action for the first time:

Kinda hard to fill that loop, with the angled reservoirs and distribution plates!

One major downside of the end of the project was a leak between the radiator, the radiator stainless steel plate and the acrylic plate. I've been able to make a complete run with the fluid, but it didn't lasted long enough to fill the reservoirs up. But I made a complete loop with the fluid! The next weeks or so will be fine tuning around the leak and polishing everything, and making this bad boy up and running to be my daily driver. I'll be glad to make a separate build log to show the final form of the Glass Cannon.

The amount of work involved was maybe too much for me. I learned a couple of things the hard way:
                            Never underestimate the things you don't know. First time CNC acrylic, first time custom o-rings, stupid design with a weird stand. I thought it would be simpler. I got served.
                            And never overestimate the things you think you master. I made some horrible mistakes on the CAD that had bad outputs in the end. I made 98% good measurements and planning for the parts, but that 2%... I had nightmares about it.

In order of appearance, special thanks to:
                            dknourek, with the amazing renders and his gentleman attitude;
                            Francois, who offered his help with the CNC and a lot of advices;
                            And Lorie, my sweet, sweet girlfriend who believed in me when I didn't.

And thanks to all of you guys for the run, it was really fun!

Comment

All in all I think it looks amazing. would love to see it when you get the finer details done great job!!
                              Oh and thanks for the shout out, you too are a great man and Im glad I could help.
                              Cheers,
                              -dave

Comment

Good job my friend.

You aimed high and you did it! I hope you are proud of yourself. With all the work and time you invested you definitely deserve the sweet PC case you did.
                                Good luck for the competition.

Comment

Working...
                                X