No announcement yet.

MODell XPS: Xperimental Propulsion System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy to oblige on the mod inspiration! I would love to find an original IBM PC that wasn't working for my next mod (wouldn't have the heart to destroy a working specimen!). Although I do have a 3rd gen i7 Alienware here, it might be fun to revamp with mITX and a real power supply while doing away with all the proprietary crap (Alien: Where?).

Yeah, 2007 called and they want their case back This one is a classic for sure. When I saw it on kijiji I knew that I would have to rescue it.

Sounds like you will have to add some filters to your build! It is amazing the amount of hair that can end up in there, but worth putting up with. As you say, doggos are awesome!

Comment

WOW ! i really love that case and you are doing a hell of a job on it !

Comment

Thank you Francois! I am having fun with it. Currently wrestling with cutting out the sheet metal for the upper fan mount...

Comment

This piece was an absolute pain in the ass to cut (used tin snips, demel, and jigsaw), but I think I have it pretty close. Still need to drill holes for the fan, and to sand and paint...

Comment

Good Job, the cutout for the fan looks nice and clean.
            -dave

Comment

Thanks, it is always nice to hear from a fellow Dave

I used a dremel to start the cutout, a jigsaw to cut it out, then the dremel again with the cutting disk at right angles to clean up and adjust the edge. Finally I ran a sanding drum around the edge. The tin snips were only used for the exterior edge to get the best fit into the irregular opening. The lower mount will be much simpler in that respect.

Meanwhile, here are some radio controlled aircraft prop spinners that I bought on amazon, $19 shipped for 3 (more than I paid for the case!).

Comment

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to mount the prop spinners to the to fan hub? I have super glue, PVC cement, and construction adhesive (PL Premium). Not sure of the exact material, no doubt some kind of plastic with glass filler... The trim piece is PVC, and the prop spinner has the same kinda look (it consists of a plate that would be adhered to the hub, and the cone screws to that), but not sure about the blades/hub. I'd prefer not to have to run out and buy something for such a small job.

There is also my wife's hot glue gun, but I think I am leaning towards roughing it up a little and using PL Premium. Crazy glue is probably too brittle, and I just don't think the hub and blades are PVC, plus the construction adhesive will give me a little time to get the damn thing centered!

Hmmm, just read that PL Premium is not recommended for polyethylene, polystyrene, or polypropylene... I will try a small test with a spare spinner plate and an old fan frame.
                Last edited by Grinder; 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM.

Comment

I would recommend the least dense and lightest weight of the adhesives if possible. Its gonna be hard to make it balanced spinning at high speed with extra weight unevenly spread.

the superglue should be the best in my opinion since it's very light and it will spread more evenly under gravity so you can have a more even layer

Comment

I'm not too worried about the weight, as the fan blade is large and the glue will be in the center, plus even maxed out it is only 800 rpm I believe. However the PVC cement is out as the plate is PVC but the frame I tried it on (that looks like the same material as the blade) is not, so it had little effect.

Comment

My concern with the super glue is that it is thin and runny, so I will have no opportunity to fine tune how the spinner sits (don't want it to wobble). Whereas with the PL Premium I could likely make some small adjustments. I'll try it dry again and see how well it sits, and whether there is any wobble at the tip of the cone.

Thanks for your input Kaidis!

Comment

I am trying it with the krazy glue. If it fails, I can always go for the PL Premium. The entire plate doesn't sit level on the hub, i.e. there is a paper thin area around a circle on the plate that doesn't quite make direct contact. So for the moment I have glued that center part, if I can get it to set up. If I try to put pressure on the pieces, I knock them out of alignment :/

Comment

Krazy glue seems ok so far; time will tell. I plan to paint the blades and plate a metallic silver/grey, while leaving the prop spinners black except for the characteristic spiral that you see on jet engines.

Also planning the lower fan mount. I've cut it the proper length and width, need to do the corners and some screw holes before the fan cutout.

Comment

Really cool fans covers. Nicely done.

Comment

Thanks Hasho! That is probably the simplest of all the mods I have done, but it really helps the jet engine look. I was tempted to make my own, but it is satisfying to use something that was actually intended to fly

Comment

Very cool build Grinder.
                                Loving the modding.
                                Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                                OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                                Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Working...
                                X