No announcement yet.

MODell XPS: Xperimental Propulsion System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am working on the jet exhaust nozzles. Since I am using a food container, I figure Francois can relate after using a Lipton box

We had a bunch of these that we used for freezing stew, chili, et cetera. I measured out 22.5 degrees around each container and cut the notches. They are slotted to fit the corners of the Delta fans, and one is higher than the other so that they can be stacked. I am offsetting the rotation, so that the tabs of the inner fit within the gaps of the outer. I'll paint the outer the same colour as the fans above, and the inner a lighter colour that I may try to make a bit imperfect in appearance. Not that you will get a good look since they will be at the back of the case, but I figure the business end of a jet engine should look a little.. distressed! I will likely go with black for the base, i.e. the rings, and will glue the final short ring in place since it doesn't have a tab. These will have RGB LEDs installed inside, to mimic the exhaust getting hotter and more intense as workload increases (also will be ramping the fans).

Here are the resulting parts, along with the tools of the trade.

Comment

WOW talk about a case mod, you sure didn't leave anything untouched in that case. You certainly prove to the words Armature Build Mod! even with the case unfinished so far in the pictures. It sure looks fantastic! hope we get to see the finished pictures before the deadline, you sure make for some tough competition.

Comment

Thanks Markes, I definitely may have a time crunch on my hands. The rules say 11 PM EST Dec 4, but they also say Monday. I had the 4th circled on my calendar, but now I'm not sure... Will try to get a good look at your build if I have time to finish!

Here are my engine nozzles, they are slotted to attach to the fans:

I trimmed the rear, ah, err, trim! Now all the nasty BTX-ness has been removed.

Since the lower nozzle will obstruct some things, I will attach it with hinges that allow it to be rotated out of the way.

Hope we actually do have till the 4th or it's gonna be tight!
        Last edited by Grinder; 12-03-2018, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Yes the rules aremodd because they mention monday the 3rd for judging to start. Buh than monday the 4th for the deadline, I myself questioned this n felt they ment sunday the 2nd just solely because how can you start judging if people don't submit till day later. Altho the typo is the first clue to a misshap, the 4th is Tuesday not monday. With saying all that, im sure they'll start with mr. Pipebombs and mine, and due to this discrepancy i'd hope they give you the most, tuesday the 4th at 23:00 est.

Keep at it im really keen what a mod indeed, top 3 i'd say

Comment

Also why the extended fan shroud is this for the fan cone or the velocity tubes? (them margin containers)

Comment

The intakes of the "turbine engines" are offset, so that the bottom one sits further back in the case than the top. So the extra shroud is to maintain the same kind of spacing for the nozzles at the back of the case.

And thanks again for your comments, I'm glad you like the build

Rules wise, it sounds like it must have been a cut and paste typo from last year. Unfortunately, when I first looked I simply noted the deadline date without realizing the error. I'll try to make it by tonight, but it will be tight.,

Comment

Cabling is done for the 200mm fans.

Trying to remove the curl from the rolled up filter material. Can't say I have ever used shot glasses for this before!

Magnetic tape in place on the rad. Initially I was going to cover just the rad, but I figured I might as well filter air to the interior as well.

The adhesive sucks on the magnetic tape. I may end up using the magnetic strips on the outside if it doesn't hold, which should still make it easy to remove and clean.

Comment

Thanks Hooded for allowing contestants to continue to update their build logs until 11 PM EST Tuesday due to the typo in the deadline.

Since I now realize that judging has already begun, and it is possible that some judges are only available at certain times, I will probably truncate a few minor things and try to get the system together as much as possible tonight.

Currently I am working on the modded RGB cabling to allow the 5V Dell RGB lights to be used with the 12V Aura header. When that is finished I'll assemble the front of the case and post some pics.

Comment

Epic build log. Hummer it in!
                    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                    Venom Build: Build Log,
                    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                    Orange Build: Final Video
                    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

• Thanks Daz! I may have to put on a pot of coffee lol.

Back of the front panel. With the fans, RGB, and control panel cabling, it is getting busy!

It was a struggle, but it is attached.

And the rear trim piece is reattached.

Next up, a quick bite and then I will do the cables for the PWM Delta rear fans. When that it done I should be able to mount them to the nozzles and put them on the case.

Comment

• Fan cable done (I powered it with molex since the load is high, but am using PWM signal and reporting RPM to mobo), nozzles/fans mounted.

Last edited by Grinder; 12-04-2018, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• Great mod, you nailed it. It's clean, looks neat and you have a great theme!

Comment

• Luv it bud, the exhaust jets to speed up the velocity of a the exhaust aka faster moving jet, turned out fantastic.. i really like how the fan nose cones do protrude out of the case as wel.... that machine sure will fly!!.. with the judges

Comment

• Thanks guys, I am pleased with the way the it has turned out so far.

Now I have to take apart my current system, then install all of the components in the modded case, run the water loop, leak test, and a whole pile of finishing touches inside the case.

Comment

• GPU blocks are mounted. I had to use barbs on them, since they would only accept 3/8 ID compression fittings.

Just test fitting stuff to confirm the planned routing. I had a brief moment of terror when I thought that I was one fitting short, but I found it!

I spotted the bit of red dye on a stop that I had in the pump. It is the gift that keeps on giving... Rear EK rad is fitted with a drain in the bottom (need to order a male to male to install my valve later) and a temperature sensor (I'll use it to control the rad fans).

Comment

Working...
                                X