Blue-Carbon Desk PC - By SystemTech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard Tray : Carbon Fiber Part 1

So finally i am starting the last part of the build, but a big piece at that, The Motherboard Tray.
    To start, i need tocut the cloth and ensure it will have a great fit, and then i will need to apply pressure while the epoxy sets, so this is me seeing how to best setup the off-cuts to get good coverage around the edges:

Then the epoxy is applied and a few days later :

It took a good while as each side needed time to set. So its 20min work, then wait an hour. So it took a few days to get here and i still had a day or so left in the initial application to complete it :

You can see the great lip for the glass :

And thats the shape i ended up going with for the power/reset buttons :

First coat of resin applied :

And then several coats later :
    The bottom is complete :

I still have 1 or 2 coats left on the sides but its looking really very good now.
    After those coats, the still to do list is:
    • Mounting the motherboard
    • Mounting the waterblock
    • Bend and run the CPU cooling tubing
    • Fit all the other cables required
    • Fit the power and reset buttons
    • Mount the legs
    • Mount the fans and radiators
    • Connect up all the watercooling components on the Motherboard Tray

Then its final fitment and connecting everything together. Fun times ahead
    Last edited by SystemTech; 10-22-2019, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Motherboard Tray : Assembly and Carbon Fiber Part 2

Ok so now for the fun part, putting everything together
      First off, lets take alook at the finished Motherboard tray in all its carbon fiber glory :

I think it looks absolutely stunning.

Next up..
      Mounting the Radiators. 720mm of cooling capacity...which i think is considerable overkill, considering that in testing, my Vega 64 was able to run with a single 360mm without the fans even spinning and the water maxed out at 43*C. With the fans on their lowest setting where they actually turn... i dont see 30*C water temp EVER! even with a fairly agressive OC. Anyways... I like going overboard with cooling

I cannot wait to actually put it in the desk and see how it all fits but before then, i have to ensure everything fits together well and finish some final tubing bends (rather complicated ones at that).

To make the CPU bends, i firstly had to mount the motherboard and the cooler..and it looks great :

Then next up was the 8Pin CPU Cable:

And then the 24 pin.

And dont forget the PCI-E Riser cable. This is a short one, which will connect to the longer one under the desk :

Next up.. The CPU Tubing runs. These are not perfect, and may never be perfect because of the initial incredibly tight 90* bend that is required from the Waterblock to stay under the glass. I am hoping once the dye is added, that you will hardly notice :

I could not help but to grab a sneak peak with the glass on:

And then last night i stayed up rather late haha. CPU Tubes are now complete. Note the awkward bends those 2 tubes need to make. I definately did not make it easy for myself haha. Also 50CM tubes were too short so i had to connect 2 of them together, but i still retain no using a single angled connector. The closest i have is the Y connector in the GPU block . But everything is connected and leak testing is sucessful. There was a stressful moment where a air bubble got into my pump and it made a really bad sound. I switched it off ASAP but it was not working at all thereafter. I thought my pump was dead but alas, a bit of bleeding the output tube and all was working again.

Oh also notice the more "mobile" version of my PC here. Where the GPU dock attaches to the Motherboard Tray.

I have since flushed and re-filled it as there was some gunk in the loop as you can see in the bubbles in reservoiur the first pic (PS I LOVE the huge res)
      Last edited by SystemTech; 10-25-2019, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Final Fitment and adjustments.

Hi all, Its been a while since I have posted an update but that does not mean I have not been finishing things up

So to start off, from the last post, I showed a bit of the portable mode for my build. This was a requirement but not the main aspect, so i wont show more on that, but as for the actual desk...
        Here she is :
        I started by connecting and running all the cables between the 2 parts using the cable channels. Connecting everything up and testing. (notice my stand, a bit of an alternate PSU use :p )

All went well, except I had an issue with my 24Pin connector so I used my backup for a bit till I had time to troubleshoot, but here is the fitment of the motherboard tray. I have a bit of trimming to do to get a better fit which I will do for the finished build.

And here is the desktop together. I think its looking fantastic, but i am biased :p

And then the GPU Mount in all its glory. I think its really come out looking great. I love the appearance of the "floating" reservoir.

See you on the first page for the completed build
        Last edited by SystemTech; 11-24-2019, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Glad to see another log started good luck and have fun!!

Comment

So stoked to have you here SystemTech Im really glad to see you decided to join the competition!

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Comment

Wow, full desk build nice.
                Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

So ive added a few updates on the first page.
                  Almost caught up to where i am curretly haha.

Comment

Awesome build, is it weird that I'm super jealous of your luscious green yard and awesome work space + power tools?!

Comment

Originally posted by sexpot View Post
                      Awesome build, is it weird that I'm super jealous of your luscious green yard and awesome work space + power tools?!
                      You weren't the only one who noticed the grass :p I am also a lawn enthusiast hahaha something strangely satisfying about a perfect lawn.

Keep up the good work SystemTech As a former fiberglass technician its great to see the carbon fiber weave come out!

Comment

Thanks guys.
                        The grass kinda takes care of itself other than weekly cutting in summer

As for the tools and workspace, I inherited a nice workbench in the basement when we bought the house, and for the bigger/dustier things I just use the outdoor tables.

I've always loved the finished effect of carbon fiber and the vinyls just looks horrible vs the real thing but does add ALOT more work and cost. The first time I worked with carbon fiber was on a car of mine, where I skinned the interior feature panels in carbon fiber. I learned a lot there but am still learning as I go :p but the finished product of authentic carbon fiber is awesome. It has such depth to it haha.

Does anyone want to vote on the indent for the power buttons? I'm leaning towards 5, as I think it fits the AORUS theme the best, but will it still be cool if I change motherboards in the future to a different brand?

Comment

lol I should hit you up maybe in DM for tips on lawn care. I have two, very much what ever the opposite of green thumbs are and would love to get rid of all the clover and crap in my lawn and have a nice lawn for once and keep it looking like a post apocalyptic wasteland lol.

Comment

Small update added

Comment

Thank you for joining competition ! First desk on our forums believe?
                              __________________________________________________
                              Retro Build: Build Log,
                              Baby Blue Build: Build Log,
                              Green Lanten Build: Build Log,
                              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                              Venom Build: Build Log,
                              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                              Orange Build: Final Video
                              HTPC Build: Final Video
                              __________________________________________________

Comment

Great work, nice to see a desk build here! In the spirit of competition I will have to post some pics of my lawn

Comment

Working...
                                X