X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• View 71 Build, Glass + Polished Plexi blocks

Might as well give this a shot

Not much for a build log.... build pics was based of of acrylic tubing

Finished this build a few weeks ago. I wanted to lower temperatures for my 9900k and the R6 case was limited... it's literally gone through 3 tear downs (in 2.5 weeks). 1) due to particle separation of dye from a bad batch of Mayhems. 2) Decided to Direct die. 3) Decided to lap the silicon, polish the plexi blocks and go with glass to prevent staining.

A link to my previous R6 build https://forum.dazmode.com/forum/memb...87700-r6-build

Parts
    9900k @5.2 (-1avx, core cache 49) with a vcore ~ @1.337v (8h+, occt avx2 stable)
    Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 *no issues or concerns with the vrm
    Asus Dual RTX 2080 TI (Galax bios) Core 2185 MHz and 2000 MHz.
    Trident Z 3600C16 DDR4 @4000Mhz 16-17-17-36 2T @1.41v
    Samsung Evo 970 1TB
    Hitachi TravelStar 1TB
    WD Red 4TB
    Corsair RM850x
    Corsair ML120s and ML140s
    Cablemods custom

Cooling Setup
    EKWB D5 Pump Res Combo
    EKWB Velocity CPU and GPU blocks
    Barrow Fittings
    12'/10' Glass tubing
    Hardware Labs Nemesis 360 GTS, 360 GTX, 420 GTX

MISC Darkside UV and RGB strips, misc fan hubs and some tessa tape for wires (why not?)
    (I think that's literally everything)

Writeups (for those interested in direct die and or lapping results)
    https://forum.dazmode.com/forum/hear...nd-after-9900k
    https://forum.dazmode.com/forum/hear...uper-long-read

Thoughts and reflections
    Learned all fluids should be filtered, premix, concentrates... even distilled / dye prior to introducing it into a loop. Bottles can vary from one to another, learned the hard way...

Glass cleaning towel is a must for View 71

I hate plexiglass and dont think I'll ever work with it again!

Should have gotten 2 multiport rads for easier draining, front and top

Cutting Glass tubes is super easy! Much easier than acrylic IMO

Pay attention whenever you are sanding anything!

Flame polishing Plexi is quite dangerous, I used a spare sheet and practiced before doing the blocks. 1) too much heat can cause bubbling, 2) stay away from threads, melting would be a disaster 3) melting channels for O-rings would be a disaster! Pretty much very little room to make a mistake. (I do not recommend unless you got a backup or are super careful!)

Cutting the small glass tube to connect the GPU and CPU was extremely difficult, and the double 90 rotary used was a real PITA. I had a barrow offset fitting that I should have used with the double 90, but for some reason, my stubbornness got the better of me (on all 3 rebuilds)... ah well next time? LMAO!)

Planning things before hand only goes so far... Originally wanted the front rad ports on top.... There was just no way even with offsets and double 90s.

Figuring out the drain setup took literally 2hours..

Used to say the 9900k was a furnace, but it now runs cool as ice!

Anyway on to the pics....

Particle Separation (ALWAYS STRAIN YOUR FLUIDS!), it got bad! Real bad!, tubes were messed up, blocks were clogged, all noticed 2 days after the completed loop. Had to spend maybe 6 hours tearing down and flushing and re-cutting tubes (acrylic at the time)

Flame Polished Plexi

Glass Tubing Cut and Flame Polished

Die Lapping thickness (Recovered from a Horrible Disaster!)

Final Result after recovery

The Lapped Direct Die mount that I repainted

Donesos! (I think I like it without the RGB)

Once again, Perpendicular and Parallel Runs for a clean finish.
    (sorry didn't take pics of the plexi shroud)

Now then, I think the Enthoo Luxe 2 is something I definitely want to work on next, maybe if i get lucky and win, I can look into a dual loop quad rad build. lol

Hope you enjoyed the read up as much as I loved to hate the process of this build! (3 rebuilds and the messup with the silicon really put a toll on me) LMAO!

Build progress (acrylic tube, prior to my multiple tear downs)

Coolant particle fall out (24-48hours) (sigh, ah well, it motivated me to do what i did to accomplish what I wanted) =D

Wow thats very cool. I never knew you could polish plexi, and the outcome is beautiful.
    Good job and nice build.

Comment

Heat gun works wonders for clearing up cloudy plexi!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaidis86 View Post
        Heat gun works wonders for clearing up cloudy plexi!
        Just need to be very careful if you haven't done it before that you don't warp or damage the plexi

Comment

Thank you for joining competition ! Looking good!
          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
          Venom Build: Build Log,
          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
          Orange Build: Final Video
          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Pleased to see you join our community drunknfoo and I wish you the best of luck!

Comment

No shortage of room for rads in there! Nice work, sorry to see the dye trouble (had some similar problems myself a couple of years back).

Comment

Hi, wich lenght of gpu riser needed for a view71? There are 200mm and 300mm, the 300mm is almost double the price of the 200mm
                thank you

Comment

Originally posted by SlimSim View Post
                  Hi, wich lenght of gpu riser needed for a view71? There are 200mm and 300mm, the 300mm is almost double the price of the 200mm
                  thank you
                  200mm is what i used

Comment

Originally posted by drunknfoo View Post

200mm is what i used
                    wow ty for your fast answer. Nice build btw. I'll start mine soon in a view71, my first one, so there's a lot of questions in my head at that point. What is your fans config? you seem to have more outtake than intake, you must have a negative pressure in your case ? Your top fans are in or out? My plan is doing top and front as intake cause of the filters and having back and side as an outtake, 3x140mm on top and other all 120mm so I'll get a positive pressure inside the case. But the top as an intake sounds weird to me, but why the F thermaltake put a filter on a top? Why put filter on a outtake? Have you tried different config in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by SlimSim View Post

wow ty for your fast answer. Nice build btw. I'll start mine soon in a view71, my first one, so there's a lot of questions in my head at that point. What is your fans config? you seem to have more outtake than intake, you must have a negative pressure in your case ? Your top fans are in or out? My plan is doing top and front as intake cause of the filters and having back and side as an outtake, 3x140mm on top and other all 120mm so I'll get a positive pressure inside the case. But the top as an intake sounds weird to me, but why the F thermaltake put a filter on a top? Why put filter on a outtake? Have you tried different config in this case?
                      All rads are exhausting, i dont dump heat into the case. This is mainly due to rads becoming heat soaked and increased internal temps results in bad ram ocing....

I did a smoke test on my machine and having all exhaust (low rpms) exhausted all the smoke out effortlessly.

Dust? Negative/positive is overrated imo... Itll get dusty regardless, just a matter of maintenance.

The internal ambient temps are roughly the same if not 1c more as external ambient with the all exhaust setup as air is constantly flowing
                      ​​​​​

​​​​
                      ​​

Comment

A very well executed build in "classic" style. Great attention to detail with loop design and sleeving.

Great work!
                        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                        Venom Build: Build Log,
                        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                        Orange Build: Final Video
                        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Working...
                        X