No announcement yet.

Max-Overdrive 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dknourek you're most welcome! That place is a candy store for folks like us haha! Glad you found what you needed!!

Comment

Well this has certainly been a challenge for me from every angle and its been more than a couple times I was ready to pull the plug. BUT... I have an OCD and cant help but view the build as something I can not, not finish lol.

Soooo after attempting a suggestion made to me of putting a vacuum on one side of my cracked distro block and applying some liquid acrylic glue/solvent to the opposite side. I think it might have sealed. I picked up an EK leak tester and put that on and pumped it up to about 0.35 bar and didn't want to go higher as I could hear the acrylic making some scary sounds and left it over night. The next morning all looked well and the needle on the gauge was where I left it.

In the process of deciding what to do with it earlier I did muster up some extra unexpected cash thanks to my birthday last Sat and ordered/received a backup plan which might be a plan A now and the old Distro a plan B now haha. Will see how it goes over the next couple days as there is some fabricating needed and will hopefully remember to take photos as well.

*fingers crossed*

-dave

Comment

That's great Dave, good to hear it will work out either way, new or repaired And glad to hear RMA went ahead. Don't forget those pics!

Comment

Glad it worked out !!

Comment

Nice! It's always a great feeling when you fix something yourself. Not that I've ever actually DONE that.

Comment

Nice job fixing that up. Eager so see more pics.

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. It means more than you may think. And Ill try to post some pics tonight.

My plan B distro block was a Bitspower one and the quality is far superior to the Barrow ones and their warranty is far better from past and now once again present experience lol. Turns out of course I get the distro block with a chunk of what looks like aluminum shaving jammed through the main o-ring in the reservoir part. Thankfully I just talked to Bitspower last night and they are sending me a replacement set of o-rings on warranty and hopefully on a RUSH as well this is the second time I have had to message them about a problem with a product and each time although I bought the parts from different places they have helped me with great professionalism and top notch service. Their stuff might be a little more than others but Im feeling more and more confident that if I have a problem that they are willing to help. Anyway back to the grind for me. Stay tuned...

Comment

So for the last 3 or 4 day’s I’ve not been able to post or even access the forum or the Dazmode shop, I’m currently on here with my iPhone as that’s the only way to get on here at the moment but I’m working with the awesome guy known as Daz to resolve the problem. Hope to be back up soon to post more updates and a few new photos

Comment

Ok crossing my fingers nothing craps out again haha. and thank you Daz for fixing the problem

Ok so here is the quick and dirty info on the new distro block. With further testing the Barrow block is still leaking somewhere so even though the leak according to the pressure tester is incredibly slow and it very well could be fine, given my luck as you all know by now isn't the greatest and I'm going on the side of caution lol. So that's where the Bitspower one comes in to play. Even though there is an o-ring issue, I'm far more confident with this one, especially since Bitspower is sending some new o-rings hopefully soon! This particular one is for the Lian-Li 011 but I liked it as it was the closest to the right size I was looking for and is definitely nicer than the old one.

So on with the show. Although the Bitspower block has a DDC pump, I'm planning on using a D5. So I needed to remove and bypass the original DDC pump, while still keeping the reservoir part separate from the outlet channel. I'm sure there are easier ways to do it but I am out of money and needed to fabricate something on the cheep

So I went back to my now new favorite plastics place and I lucked out and was able to buy a 1 foot section of 1" clear acrylic rod which was about $3 I think YAY!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump_Bypass_02sm.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	89101

Then it was just a matter of some measurements about a thousand times to get it right hopefully the fist time lol.

Name:	Pump_Bypass_01sm.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	89102

Then clamping it to my bench in the garage between some cork pieces I had laying around. Cutting it as straight as I could with my jig saw, level it off with the disc sander and finally drill a hole in the middle with my drill press, final sanding, flame polish and... its far from perfect but I think it will do the job

Name:	Pump_Bypass_03sm.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	89103

After that I had an old EK DDC pump top that had buggered threads from the factory and got a replacement from EK long ago and had this one on the shelf so I decided to use that instead of fabricating a new top in place of the original DDC pump which worked out well as it gave me two outlets for draining and what not In any event the leak test was a success and Im happy with the outcome

Name:	Pump_Bypass_04sm.jpg
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	89104 Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump_Bypass_05sm.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	89105

Ive since started with the new backplate and I think I'm about 60% done that one but that's for the next post Stay tuned...

Comment

Very nice work Dave, hope the O-rings show up in time! Nice grab on the acrylic rod, I paid a lot more than that for my cabinet knobs lol.

Glad to see you worked out the problem with Daz. For me, it happened twice (pics too big or too many or corrupt I am guessing) and each time I was disconnected for a day, it started working again the following day. I did send an email to hooded (if I got the address right) but didn't hear back.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                        Very nice work Dave, hope the O-rings show up in time! Nice grab on the acrylic rod, I paid a lot more than that for my cabinet knobs lol.

Glad to see you worked out the problem with Daz. For me, it happened twice (pics too big or too many or corrupt I am guessing) and each time I was disconnected for a day, it started working again the following day. I did send an email to hooded (if I got the address right) but didn't hear back.
                        Thanks man

I think Daz has it fixed now. The very same thing was happening to me and I had the same thoughts at first about the images as I would get 2 or 3 uploaded and go to send one more and poof it would error and I had zero access to the site or the forum, but I think we both should be good to go now.

Comment

So after the initial mod with the distro plate was complete I continued on designing the backplate for it in Adobe Illustrator, then when I was happy with that I moved on to cutting out the template in foam-core to make sure everything lined up as it should. And its far cheaper than acrylic if I screw up lol.

Name:	Nov13update01sm.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	89109

After that I took more careful measurements and marked out where the distro plate would go. I didn't want to mount it on the front of the plate and I was tossing up the idea of mounting it behind but I ended up with wanting to have it inset inside the backplate which I new was going to be a challenge with using only hand tools and I only had one shot as I'm out of acrylic that would be big enough for another backplate. So after marking it out I drilled a hole big enough to fit my jigsaw blade and subsequently started cutting out the center very very slowly lol and to my surprise it turned out pretty good. The masking tape is hiding a bit of the imperfections but for the most part its fitting very nicely and I'm happy with it.

Name:	Nov14update01sm.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	89110

Then on to tackling the 24pin power. After again measuring out and some eyeballing lol, of the power plug on the motherboard. I marked out where each wire is to pass through and with my hand drill and a small bit, I carefully as I could drilled down maybe .5mm. Just enough to help with drilling the final holes. That completed I went out to my drill press (was freaking cold in the garage) and went to drilling out all the holes.

Name:	Nov14update02sm.jpg
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	89111

Even with the big drill press it was hard to drill out all the holes so close together and a couple got away from me but looked pretty good for the most part. So I took the freshly drilled back plate, threw it back in the case, remounted the motherboard for the 1000th time and decided to pop one end off of the old 24 pin cable and test it out. All in all I think its looking pretty good so far.

Name:	Nov14update03sm.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	89112 Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov14update04sm.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	89113

Now on to figuring out the rest of the locations on the front for the VGA, dual 8pin power, I/O..... I have some ideas but not sure if they will work yet. Stay tuned...

Comment

Sweet, Bitspower came through and I got the o-rings. Now its time for full panic and get moving on this build lol. I did get a little more done yesterday where I build the vertical supports I planned for the distro block using two 3/4" clear square acrylic rod.

Name:	Nov18update01sm.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	89167

Name:	Nov18update02sm.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	89168

Comment

I hate that you used the color scheme I was going to use in my build for the 24pin. Looking good man!

Comment

Woot woot for customer service! Love it dude! Looking awesome!

Comment

Working...
                                X