Max-Overdrive 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max-Overdrive 2.0

I know I don't have a prayer but what the heck. I'm throwing my hat in the ring and hopefully I can rebuild Max by the time the competition ends lol. *fingers crossed*

Ok so hopefully the chaos slows a bit. I manged to get some more written up and photos edited of some of the parts...

Here we go, Hardware list so far for Max-Overdrive 2.0:

Case: Thermaltake Level 20 GT RGB
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme
    CPU: Intel i9-9900K
    Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB - 64GB DDR4-3600
    GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080Ti
    Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB & Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
    PSU: Corsair HX-1000i
    Fan Control and monitoring: Aquacomputer
    Case Fans: Corsair LL 140mm (RGB on fans only controlled with a Commander Pro)
    Case lighting: Controlled by Corsair Commander Pro and Aquacomputer Quadro and Farbwerk RGBpx

Current Water cooling Accessories, subject to change lol :

CPU: EK Velocity DRGB Waterblock
    GPU: Watercool Heatkiller IV for ASUS Strix 2080Ti
    Waterway: Barrow
    Tubing: Bitspower Acrylic Tubing
    Fittings: Assortment of Bitspower, Darkside and Barrow
    Pump: DDC with EK clear acrylic top (may change this for something else...)
    PSU cables: Sleeved by me (Still Deciding on Colours)
    Bitspower hexagonal flow meter(s)
    Barrow inline OLED coolant temp gauge

Last edited by dknourek; 10-04-2019, 05:46 AM.

Glad to see you decided to jump in!! Good luck, have fun, and mod on!!
    Looking forward to seeing your entry!

Comment

Welcome aboard.
      Looking forward to the build.
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thank you for joining the competition! Perseverance is a must!
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Stay motivated, stay dedicated, mod on!

Comment

Thanks guys, I hoped to get some photos taken and posted last weekend but after going to to spread my brothers ashes on Sat morning, later in the afternoon my uncle passed away so it put everything on hold. The funeral is next Monday so hopefully in the next day or two I can get some photos posed and parts ordered so next week I can get moving on this build among other things.

Thanks again for your word of support and encouragement

Cheers,
            -dave

Comment

Sorry to hear that Dave. I missed being a part of the first modding competition due to illness and deaths in the family, it's not easy. Hope you can find the strength to show us your work.

Comment

Thanks brother, although it is hard to focus on much at the moment I'm hoping after the funeral and such has passed Ill be able to focus more on my build. I am still working on it, just slower than I would like, and have a number of photos to edit and take.

Cheers,
                -dave

Comment

Just some photos of some of the parts so far on a plain white background (all photos are taken by me unless otherwise credited)

ASUS Strix 20180Ti
                  Heatkiller GPU Block
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Max-OD_2_dknourek-3.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	88502

Comment

Mainboard and accessories

Name:	Max-OD_2_dknourek-6.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	88504

Name:	Max-OD_2_dknourek-7.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	88505

Name:	Max-OD_2_dknourek-4.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	88506

Name:	Max-OD_2_dknourek-5.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	88507

Comment

And Lastly, let me start by saying the EK velocity block its self is ok and cools the 9900K as expected, the entire issue I have with it is with the DRGB strip that comes installed from EK, as I listed at the start I have an EK Velocity D-RGB block and had a couple problems with it since I bought it like the first D-RGB strip that came with it lasted just a bit over 24 hours of use before it crapped out, and then since it took so long to get a replacement from EK I ended up modding the block with an Aquacomputer 5mm RGBpx strip (30LED X 27.3cm) I had to cut off I think about 3 of the LED's to get it to fit properly but it is nice to have total control over each LED individually in the block compared to the stock one from EK. Anyway they finally sent a new one and I hadn't installed it right away as I was waiting for the next rebuild or maintenance overhaul and just took it out of the box last night (the brand new replacement) and its dead, except for 3 leds kinda flickering a bit struggling to light up. needless to say Im sticking with my mod for now. Apparently EK is having a lot of problems with the DRGB LED's... Below is a pic of the modded ring on the EK block if anyone is interested.

*yes I know there is rust in one of the holes. was user error, I think didn't get all the water out after cleaning it and the factory bolt rusted in that particular spot.

Cheers,
                      -dave

Name:	Max-OD_2_dknourek-8.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	88509

Comment

Wow, i didnt know EK were having such issues with these. But that modding is great. I cannot wait to see it when its power and filled. Im sure its going to look FANTASTIC.

Nice parts list too. Lots of RAM, Cores and shiny pieces

PS Heatkiller SERIOUSLY make good looking GPU blocks. I regret having not been more patient with my Vega 64, considering the EK block was sitting in its case for 2 years

Comment

Nice shots, wish I had your skills. And camera

Comment

Originally posted by SystemTech View Post
                            Wow, i didnt know EK were having such issues with these. But that modding is great. I cannot wait to see it when its power and filled. Im sure its going to look FANTASTIC.

Nice parts list too. Lots of RAM, Cores and shiny pieces

PS Heatkiller SERIOUSLY make good looking GPU blocks. I regret having not been more patient with my Vega 64, considering the EK block was sitting in its case for 2 years
                            If I can be honest, I'm a huge Heatkiller fanboy but I was seriously disappointed in the finish on the GPU block, Ive photoshopped quite a bit of it but long story short it was scratched up pretty good from either shipping and or manufacturing. I still like Heatkiller for the most part but will be quite hesitant on buying anything in the future that is supposed to be 'polished' stainless... I did send them an email about it a couple weeks ago and have heard nothing from them which also surprises me and is disappointing. Maybe I might post about it in another thread and show the photos of how it looked after shipping. I'm going to either try polishing it myself or maybe paint it or something, just unfortunate as I like the 'strix' and 'heatkiller' branding on it. But the worst about it all is there was no way of telling how it looked till I got it out of the box and the heavy plastic bag it was shipped in.

Also Thanks Grinder , by day I'm a technical 3D animator and VFX artist and in my off time a professional photographer, thus why I need so much ram and the components I use

Cheers,
                            -dave

Comment

Originally posted by dknourek View Post

If I can be honest, I'm a huge Heatkiller fanboy but I was seriously disappointed in the finish on the GPU block, Ive photoshopped quite a bit of it but long story short it was scratched up pretty good from either shipping and or manufacturing. I still like Heatkiller for the most part but will be quite hesitant on buying anything in the future that is supposed to be 'polished' stainless... I did send them an email about it a couple weeks ago and have heard nothing from them which also surprises me and is disappointing. Maybe I might post about it in another thread and show the photos of how it looked after shipping. I'm going to either try polishing it myself or maybe paint it or something, just unfortunate as I like the 'strix' and 'heatkiller' branding on it. But the worst about it all is there was no way of telling how it looked till I got it out of the box and the heavy plastic bag it was shipped in.
                              Cheers,
                              -dave
                              Did you try contacting them at the time. It sounds like something that they would be able to fix by sending you a replacement?
                              That is very sad though none the less.

Comment

Working...
                              X