No announcement yet.

x86: Blue Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, I will definitely post pics when I finish it off. At least we get marks for what we have completed. Last year, Seboo didn't finish, used a lot of automation, and had help. But his build was so stellar that he still crushed us all! Not that I'm quite in that category. But I had fun!

Ironically, except for the acrylic bending, the doors won't be very technical. I'm leaving 3 of 4 sides of the mini C side panels intact (just need to buzz them in one spot to allow bending without kinking). So it just cutouts, drill, paint, and mount acrylic.

Tpbmods thanks for the tip, will give it a try. I may also use a clean piece of copper pipe in an attempt to get the exact radius I'm looking for. I do have a good sized sheet so I'll get a few tries at it. And congrats on getting to the next level!

Comment

Sorry you didnt finish either Grinder, I still love this build and looking forward to seeing it completed
      Im going to start a little earlier next year for the competition, like around January 1 haha then I 'might' have enough time!

Comment

Thanks Dave. My wife says it doesn't matter when I start a project, I'll still be working on it at the last minute

Once the results are announced, I'll continue with the gull wing doors. It will be rough painting in the cold - I try to avoid painting in the attached garage since the fumes bother my wife, and at this time of year, if it's warm enough to paint outside it is usually raining! Since I'll have a bit more time on my hands, I may do something different with the gas struts. I was going to put them under the overhang of the gull wings at the back (had a big "thinking outside the box" comment prepared ). But I have a bunch of aluminum flat bar in assorted sizes that I bought to meet the minimum order when I got the t-bar/hinge piece. Since I removed so much steel from the case, I think I'll reinforce it, and at the same time showcase the gas struts by putting them in the center of the window. They are thin enough not to obstruct the view, and they will be better balanced too.

Looking forward to getting back at it! Good luck everyone!

Comment

Absolutely love this vintage case! This build MUST be finished , competition or not.

One thing that I'm unsure and would be curious about the end result is the paring of the radiator and PSU to sharing airflow
          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
          Venom Build: Build Log,
          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
          Orange Build: Final Video
          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Glad you like it Daz! Worry not, I'll finish it up and share the results. I feel like I've done most of the work, I 'm not quitting now! Just a little break

My thinking on the rad/PSU is that PSUs are tested at extreme temps in hot boxes at full load. The rad is a low FPI 140mm, 34mm thick, getting cool outside air (and of course the air exits the case when it leaves the PSU). I'd be very surprised if it warms the air more than 5 degrees before it enters the PSU (which should have more than enough capacity and won't be working at max). I'll try to get some readings after it's up and running.

Comment

DazMode While not a scientific test, I just measured load temps at rad intake and exhaust on my MODell build from last year, using the probe of an indoor outdoor digital thermometer.

I fired up prime95 for 20+ minutes on the 5930k, cooling is a Phobya G.Changer V2 480 at the front of the case with two 200mm fans in push (blowing through and around the rad) and 4 XSPC Xinruillian 120 2000 rpm fans in pull, plus an EK XTX120 Coolstream at the rear with an SP120 in push plus a little help from the jet exhaust lol. Fans are running medium ish speed, i didn't take a reading.

With the phobya with more air flow, intake temp was 21.1 and exhaust was 26.6, a 5.5 degree delta. For the smaller EK with less air flow, intake temp was 23.3 and exhaust 26.3, a 3 degree delta.

If results are similar with the Swiftech MCR140-QP and a medium speed fan, I don't think the PSU will be bothered by room temp + 5 degrees or less entering it.
              Last edited by Grinder; 12-02-2019, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X