X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sx4

Sx4
    Introduction

Hi everyone, I am really happy to be here again this year. This time, I am building this one for my wife. She always taking care of the happiness of everyone and she doing a lot of little attentive presents to her friends and family on all occasions. Her devotion for our family is admirable. If I have to do a big project as Sx4 for someone, she is the one who deserve the most.

I plan to give Sx4 to my love on her birthday in August and, of course, this day is my dead line to complete this project. So, you are now all part of the surprise and I trust you to keep it secret from her.

It took me two or three weeks to make a decision on the name of this build. I finally choose the simplicity... Sx4 mean Sweet, Salty, Sour and Spicy. Sx4 also mean S​​​​​​ide x4 and S​​​​​​on x4. Yes, my wife is pregnant of our 4th son and the do date is 21 September.

Part list

PC

- Case: Vendesing Mfg.
    - CPU: Intel i5 9600KF
    - GPU: Zotac GTX 1070ti Mini
    - Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-i Gaming
    - Mem: 8Gb (2*4Gb) T-Force 3000Mhz
    - SSDs: 1To Samsung 970 EVO + 500Go Samsung 860 EVO
    - PSU: Rosewill Platinum Tachyon 1200W

WC

- Monoblock: EK-Momentum ROG Strix Z390I D-RGB
    - GPU Block: Bykski N-ST1070TIMINI-X
    - PSU Block: Custom made by me
    - Res: Singularity Protium 60-250mm
    - Rad: Alphacool Monsta 480mm
    - Fan: 4x EKWB 120mm Vardar EVO RGB
    - Pump: Watercool Vario D5 + Freezemod D5 PWM
    - Top: BitsPower + Barrow Top
    - Tubes: Bykski 14mm metal tube B-PP7TP500X200
    - Fittings: A lot of Barrow fittings & +++

Table of Contents

Page 1

The Case part 1: Vendesing Mfg.
    The Case part 2: Take apart
    The Case part 3: Measurements
    The Case part 4: Restoration
    The Foot part 1
    The Iron Leg

Page 2

The Monsta
    The Holders
    The Protium
    The Case part 5: Mods'n paint
    The Sour
    The Mobo
    The Spicy V1

Page 3

The Spicy V2
    The PSU part 1: Disassembling
    The Cooler part 1: Disassembling

Page 4

The Cooler part 2: Assembling
    The PSU part 2: Modifications
    The PSU and The Cooler part 3: Serious mods
    The Salty
    The Sweet

Page 5

The Foot part 2: One word project
    The Mechanisms
    The Flavour Tags
    The Case part 6: Build up!
    The Caps

Page 6

The Cover
    The Coolant
    Candy Time
    The Gift

Page 7

Final pictures part 1/3 : Playroom shot
    Final pictures part 2/3 : Flir shot
    Final pictures part 3/3 : Pink candy shot
    Sx4 vs Original

Page 8

In extremis pictures
    Conclusion

I will let you guess what is the theme and case according to the build name. May be the next picture will help you find it until the next update?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	159.1 KB ID:	90915​​
    My wife love those gummys!
    Last edited by C0LLARD; 12-31-2020, 03:19 AM. Reason: Log chronology tab

SX4
    The case

Ok, I can't wait to give the answer. Anyway, I did not play fair, the case is not a PC case... It is a vending machine with four independent 25¢ candy distributor. I found this thing for 120$ in Chicoutimi (Ville Saguenay) and the instant I seen it, I got strike by a sudden flash of illumination. I am so happy to build again!

Of course, I will fit a custom loop watercooled PC on it and keep all four 25¢ distributor fully functional. Yes, both machine will be serviceable. I will also make sure it the most aesthetic possible.

Here's the Vendesing Mfg.:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	90234 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	90235 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	90236 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	90237 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	90238 ​​​​​​​

Comment

SX4
      Take apart

The first thing I done with the vending machine was to disassemble everything to figure out if my plans are possible and if it is, how I will really do that.

Here are the pictures:

Name:	
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	90281 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	90282 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	90283 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	90284 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	90285 ​​​​​​​
      Last edited by C0LLARD; 03-09-2020, 12:15 PM.

Comment

SX4
        Measurements

One of the most important thing to do when we start a project like that: the measurements.

Now let's see how much space I have to fit a watercooled PC on it:

The case = 10"7/8*10"7/8*H6"1/8 (276*276*H155mm)
        Free space inside = 4"3/8*3"1/2*H3"1/8 (110*90*H130mm)

Name:	
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	90287 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	90288

The containers = 3"*3"1/2*H10" (75*90*H255mm)

Name:	
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	90289 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	90290 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	90291

Comment

It looks like a pretty cool concept.
          Looking forward to seeing how you make out with it.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Wow interesting, it would be so cool if the turning handle mechanism could act as a function for something on the pc.
            The power on and off might be risky, a cycle through RGB modes could be cool or even it could be a dial for the fan speed.

This whole build has me thinking now, it's just such a cool modding concept!

Comment

Thank you very much Hooded and Torvich! I appreciate your comments.

Originally posted by Torvich View Post
              Wow interesting, it would be so cool if the turning handle mechanism could act as a function for something on the pc.
              The power on and off might be risky, a cycle through RGB modes could be cool or even it could be a dial for the fan speed.

This whole build has me thinking now, it's just such a cool modding concept!

I really love the idea thank you!
              Last edited by C0LLARD; 05-07-2020, 02:46 AM.

Comment

This is the coolest thing ever!!   What a great concept / idea!  Plus the fact that you're building it for the woman you love makes it even more special.  Subbed! 

Comment

SX4
                  Restoration

As you seen on the last pictures, the metal condition of the case is really bad; a lot of rust! It will need a lot of love to look good again. This is where I had to start.

The next pictures show before and after I sandblast the case.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	90303
                  The next pictures show the sandblasted top cover and then, the case + cover getting the primer.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	117.4 KB ID:	90304

Comment

Nice bit of sandblasting. Did you use actual sand or walnut shell in your blaster?

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                      Nice bit of sandblasting. Did you use actual sand or walnut shell in your blaster?
                      I was using sand in the sandblast machine. I don't know much about sandblast with walnut shell, is there something special with this material?

Comment

It's a little less abrasive, especially for softer metals.
                        We use walnut shells in our blaster at work for cleaning the tough stuff off turbine parts like brass seal glands and bushings.
                        Leaves a smoother surface finish than the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                          It's a little less abrasive, especially for softer metals.
                          We use walnut shells in our blaster at work for cleaning the tough stuff off turbine parts like brass seal glands and bushings.
                          Leaves a smoother surface finish than the sand.
                          It is really interesting and good to know! Thank you!

Comment

Sx4
                            The foot

​​​This is the update of where the fun begins! Disassembling, sandblasting and painting (primer) is cool but I undoubtedly prefert to build and like a skyscraper, I started with the basement: The foot.

I didn't keep the original swivel pole stand, as shown in the measurements update, I do not have a lot of free space. I need to be really creative to make more usable space and my idea of the custom swivel stand will be an aesthetic part of the watercooling system.

The first part of The foot is a glass stand from a broken Samsung 60" Plasma TV PN60E550.

Name:	
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	90331

The second part is the strong steel bracket from another broken plasma TV, a Panasonic 50" TC-P50UT50.

Name:	
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	90332
                            The fitting of the bracket on the acrylic pole of The foot was pretty easy; four small hole and voila!

Name:	
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	90333
                            For the swivel part of the stand, I had to modify the bottom of the pole. The original TV stand swivel with an angle around 45°. There is a kind of key stopper in the swivel mechanism, I just have to remove it with a small sharp flat screwdriver and now it swivel freely on 360°.

Name:	
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	90334

Comment

Sx4
                              The iron leg

The foot now completed, the Sx4 stand needs The iron leg; a solid frame made with an 1/8" * 1" angle iron. I bought this 6' one in the Can Tire:
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	90336

And I cut, drilled, sandblasted and painted it (primer and paint).
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	124.1 KB ID:	90337

I also tapped the four holes (two on each side) that fit on The foot's bracket. Those threads will allow me to not use any ugly nut to fix The leg to The foot.

Name:	
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	90338

Both angle iron fit perfectly on The foot. Just a small adjustments on the plastic decorative bracket cover and everything looks great.

Name:	
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	90339
                              Last edited by C0LLARD; 03-12-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X