Sx4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
    Not really. You set xmp and overclock your cpu in the bios. Save and restart. Go back in the bios when it's booting and look at the vccio, system agent and ram voltages. If they show correctly, you are fine. Nice job fixing it really. Maybe i should send you mines lol!
    Thank you very much for your help Danny, I checked again and everything look good. The bent pin fix of The Mobo appears to be a success then.

Unfortunately, I made a mistake with The Spicy yesterday; the idea to use the watercooling loop 2 from MP90 to cool The Mobo waterblock was only good to do some test. So I tested it and then, I started to download Asgard's Wrath on Oculus and let them run (MP90 & The Spicy) many hours. During this time, a got a call from the job (I am on call duty) to plug a backup field generator (the engine strap on the first one broke and it was overheating). When I came back home, MP90 was on sleep (I forgot to change the power settings in Windows) and the water inside the EKWB monoblock was literally boiling. I cut the power and I waited it to cool down (The Mobo was so hot that I wasn't able to touch it without burn myself) before test it for damages.

I crossed my fingers and turned it on; The Mobo is working! I feel better now! I agree, was very lucky with my mistake but The Spicy didn't go thru that without any damage; the soft tubes turned white. I suppose this material didn't support boiling water without being altered.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	90642 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	87.7 KB ID:	90643

The irony in this story is the generator and The Mobo were overheating because their pumps wasn't working, both almost in the same time. Life happening is curious sometimes.

I will open The Spicy tonight (when the kids and wife will be all sleeping) and fix it. I will come back with an update about that.
    Last edited by C0LLARD; 04-19-2020, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Wow. You're lucky it didnt start a fire.. I'm happy for you everything is working fine and that little accident didnt bust your motherboard or anything else!

It's funny you're speaking of tubing going cloudy. Last night, after i measured and cut the EK tubes i received a couple weeks ago from Daz, i plunged them into pure distilled water for cleaning and guess what? They turned cloudy Lol! First time it happens to me with ekwb tubes. It's weird because there wasn't anything to make them change color like that. Just water, no soap, no nothing. Was your tubes from EK too? Maybe we got unlucky and got a bad batch idk. Heard a couple times their tubes going white at like 60° celcius but they should be abble to endure much more.

Comment

Was your tubes from EK too? Maybe we got unlucky and got a bad batch idk. Heard a couple times their tubes going white at like 60° celcius but they should be abble to endure much more.
        No my tubes was from Barrow and Daz don't have any Barrow I think. 60° C is very high for a watercooling liquid temperature and I confirm mine was at 100°C inside the monoblock (there was boiling bubble before I cut the power). I can accept any tubes that turns foggy pass 60°C but yours, who done that at room temp in pure water... This is really strange. Did you contact Daz about this issue?

Comment

Hot damn this is coming together so great! Good to see you back for round 2!

Comment

No i did not contact him and i wont. It's not his fault if i got unlucky. It's just tubing so no big deal. First time it happens to me in 25 years of customizing so i think it's a good ratio haha. I always clean everything with distilled water before installation except radiators, i use 5% vinegar mix then flush with distilled water alone.

Was wondering, didn't your processor went throtling from high temps? I dont know how it reached those temps without smelting anything but you sure are one lucky person!

Comment

No i did not contact him and i wont. It's not his fault if i got unlucky. It's just tubing so no big deal.
              I totally agree with you about that, I would do same. I was just saying that because maybe he knows why it happened, not to return them.

Was wondering, didn't your processor went throtling from high temps? I dont know how it reached those temps without smelting anything but you sure are one lucky person!
              Honestly, I don't know. When I came back and saw the water boiling in the block I just pulled the plug first.

I am testing The Spicy now (I just finished the modifications, more details in the next update) and everything looks good; I tested 3dMark, Prime95 and then restart in the bios to take a look on the voltages and they look good. Yes, I am really lucky!
              Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	88.0 KB ID:	90673
              This time, I didn't make the same mistake and I tested It with it's own pump. It is still connected to MP90 (because it have so much Rad, valves & loop). So, no need to let Maximus run and worry about it to shutdown while The Spicy still running.
              ​​​​​​ Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	83.5 KB ID:	90674

Comment

Your RAM, it's 2x4gb or 2x8gb?

Comment

Sx4
                  The Spicy V2

After the overheat incident with the first version. I had to change the tubes. My first idea for V1 was to use metal tubes but that was not possible because of the space restrictions and, as you can se on the next picture, the 14mm hard tube fitting is bigger than the already tight 1/2" soft fitting.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	90679
                  The actual plan is to use the soft fittings to hold (tight and seal) the metal hard tube. I just had to drill the inside a little bit and put two seal. The result is really strong and do not leak.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	90678
                  Here's the look before putting it back in the container:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	90681
                  I also had to modify the holes in the bottom part:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	72.0 KB ID:	90677
                  The result look very nice to me. This mod is the good side of the incident, I wouldn't do that without that and, happily, nothing else is broken.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	79.2 KB ID:	90680
                  Your RAM, it's 2x4gb or 2x8gb?
                  they are 2x4gb. This is a tight budget build (I paid 50$ for them) and my wife do not do gaming at all. Of course, my sons and myself will game with and, in most games, the difference between 8 and 16gb is not big. Anyway, MP90 is downstairs ready to play everything.
                  Last edited by C0LLARD; 04-22-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

The work you're putting into that build is very impressive and the results are there. Nice job modding those fittings/tubes to make them fit into that tight spot. Keep posting your progress!

Comment

Really great modding going on here!
                      Loving the build.
                      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Thank you very much for your positive comments, they help me to stay motivated. Particularly with the third section (you will see soon, on the next updates), this part will be the one that requires the most work.

Comment

Sx4
                          The PSU
                          Disassembling

The power supply is a very important part of every computer and PC builders have to choose one according to specific needs. So, about Sx4 "specific needs"... this build is in another level! I will explain:

1- Need to be aesthetic
                          The PSU have to be inside a container (not enough space on the bottom of The Case) and to fit in, it have to be naked (PCB only). The power board should visually look good, I mean, no ugly white silicone, no ugly components and no green PCB.

2- Need to be efficient
                          An efficient power supply means less heat generated inside the container. A Platinum one should be good enough.

3- Need to be watercoolable
                          There will have no air circulation to evacuate the heat inside the container. The only way to make it work is by modifying The PSU to watercool it (yes, I am serious). To be WC able, the board should have a good parts (transistors, regulators, ICs, diode bridges) disposition on the PCB. Those components are usually attached to an heatsink and this is what it should be on watercooling. To do that, I will have to run flat tubes to cool down them. If a transformer or something like that is on the way, that mod will not be possible.

4- Need to be 850W or more
                          I want it strong enough.

5- low cost (less than 200$)

The winner is:
                          According to those "specific needs" I found and bought (135$ from someone in marketplace) a brand new Rosewill Tachyon 1200W Platinum. The board looks good and will not need too much modifications (I hope) to make the watercooling project realizable.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	90767
                          In order to fit (tubes on The PSU and The PSU in the container) I had to remove (to move them farther) some components.

Name:	
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	90769
                          The most difficult part to remove was the modular connector board. The heat conductivity of the boards and those large lead-free solder sections are near impossible to melt it enough to remove them without putting the entire power board in the oven and, the oven is not an option. I had to drill and cut the modular board. After that, those solder sections were easy melt and clean.

Name:	
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	90768
                          ​​​​​​​The disassembling of The PSU is now completed. The real fun will be in the next updates.

Comment

Wow, this is some serious modding.
                            Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                            OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                            Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Sx4
                              The Cooler
                              Disassembling

The easiest way (In my opinion) is to use a WC radiator to watercool The PSU. Of course, it will needs a lot of work. I bought (for 40$) a strongly used EKWB Coolstream PE and I started to disassemble it.

Name:	
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	90772
                              The next step is to unsolder the ends and tubes with a propane torch.

Name:	
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	90773
                              For the cleaning, I used the propane torch and air compressor + wet sponge to remove the extra soldering metal and then, I done a fine cleaning with CLR + plates scrubber.

Name:	
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	90774
                              The Cooler is shining now!

Comment

This definatelly some serious modding like Hooded said. Never seen anyone do this kind of things. The more i see, the more i am impressed. If everything works, and i do hope it will, it's gona be the best job i have ever seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X