Achromatic by CdnGhost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Achromatic by CdnGhost

Today is the day I do something I have wanted to do for a long time....
    for you are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.

A very good friend of mine, Mr. Pipebomb (after years and years and... OK the past 3 years or 4 years) has finally convinced me to sign up for the amateur PC builder’s completion…. so here I am, very humbled and excited to be here among so many talented people.

This will be a completely different build in terms of what a lot of you would be expecting to see, in recent years water-cooling has become so mainstream and has found its way in to pretty much every build, I wanted to do something different something unexpected in a builders competition… so this will be an air cooled build, no liquids just air, sophistication and simplicity all rolled into one. As well since unicorn vomit has infiltrated everything from PCs to our homes and daily lives, Achromatic will be a non RGB build, I will be including some white lighting only.
    Without further ado I would like to introduce to Achromatic

ach·ro·mat·ic /ˌakrəˈmadik/

adjective
    1. free from color.
    2. able to emit, transmit, or receive light without separating it into colors.

Parts List:

Case: Sliger SM 560
    Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i w/chromax 92mm fan and 3D printed fan duct.
    Case Fans: 2 x CoolerMaster Masterfan SF120M
    PSU: Corsair SF750 w/custom sized cables
    MOBO: Asus z490i Strix
    CPU: Intel i9-10900
    GPU: Asus RTX 3080 Strix
    RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
    SSD: WD Black 500gb m.2
    SSD: FireCuda 520 1tb m.2
    Mics: TBA

Photos and more info to come.
    Last edited by CdnGhost; 12-28-2020, 11:44 PM.

Small update, I had planned to use the BeQuiet Dark Rock TF as i really like the aesthetics of it but found that once the mosfet cooler was re installed (it was out as the board was previously water cooled prior to my purchasing it the board.) the cooler would not fit. So time to pull out the old tried and true Noctua D14. Will be putting new fans on it to ensure the maximum performance. More to come need to find my light box for a photo shoot.

Comment

Seems promising. Picked up my curiosity. Little question.. Do you already have the motherboard?

Comment

Just asking cause a 9900k and Godlike is not the best combo to have. Godlike has no igpu which means its pointeless to have the "k" version of the cpu. Should go for the 9900 or 9900kf which are cheaper than this one or go with a different mb. Also, this board is huge compared to other motherboard because its a e-atx. 4 GPU slots which is completely useless with 16 lanes. You probably already know this but just wanted to share a little personal opinion and knowledge.

Comment

Danny79-Qc I genuinely have no idea what it is you're talking about. A K-sku processor means it's unlocked, KF means Unlocked with no dedicated igpu, and non K means locked.

A K/kf Sku cpu would be the absolute best and most promising way to go on the godlike, and the power delivery potential of this beast is exactly that, GODLIKE! Insane overclocking stability, more lane support for multiple m.2's and overall superior specs make this the perfect home for a 9900k/kf

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
            Just asking cause a 9900k and Godlike is not the best combo to have. Godlike has no igpu which means its pointeless to have the "k" version of the cpu. Should go for the 9900 or 9900kf which are cheaper than this one or go with a different mb. Also, this board is huge compared to other motherboard because its a e-atx. 4 GPU slots which is completely useless with 16 lanes. You probably already know this but just wanted to share a little personal opinion and knowledge.
            For my processor choice it boiled down to price, Newegg has the 9900 and 9900Kf at 539 and 529 respectively + shipping, but Memory Express just price droped the 9900k from 699 to 525 which was cheaper and local, so just made sense to me and was a decent upgrade from my 8086k.

As to the Godlike and a 9900k, I have no need for an igpu (would suck if the GPU dies lol) as I am running the 2080 super and I personally think the 9900k and the Godlike are a great match... especially for overclocking, as it has an 18 phase VRM. I ended up getting the board in a trade with a friend, he gave it to me for such a good price i couldn't refuse it as the deal ended up being less then half of the new cost and the board is not even 3 ish moths old and still has lots of warranty... I seriously couldn't pass it up.. 2 of the 4 PCI slots will be populated with other items, I will be adding in the included streaming card that comes with the board and the M.2 riser card... as over time I will be adding a total of 5 M.2 drives.

The Motherboard for me was a massive upgrade in terms of usability from my previous build which featured an Asus Strix Z390i.... so small lol....

Just a bit of insight into my thought processes...

Comment

Originally posted by Tpbmods View Post
              Danny79-Qc I genuinely have no idea what it is you're talking about. A K-sku processor means it's unlocked, KF means Unlocked with no dedicated igpu, and non K means locked.

A K/kf Sku cpu would be the absolute best and most promising way to go on the godlike, and the power delivery potential of this beast is exactly that, GODLIKE! Insane overclocking stability, more lane support for multiple m.2's and overall superior specs make this the perfect home for a 9900k/kf
              Its actually what I've meant. Dont need the integrated gpu from the processor since the godlike has no support for it. Btw this board has one of the worse temperature of all z390 high end motherboard. How many lanes do you think he will have? 16. So having features for more is kinda useless. Oh and i didn't say it wasn't good, i said it's not the best combo "in my opinion". There is a little nuance there. Like i said the KF would be a better option because of these and thought they were still cheaper.. You basically said exactly what ive said outside i think the Godlike is not as great as people think after building a couple rigs with that board. Anyways, it doesn't matter since he already have them both.

CdnGhost, it's deffinately a good deal you got there. Didn't need to justify yourself. I just wanted to make sure you knew about this. No integrated gpu can really sucks if your card dies or if you get any issues related to it. Can't troubleshoot unless you get a new card and often the card isn't even dead. But if you have no problem dealing with this kind of issues then great! I would just not recommend it to a beginner. "Not saying you're a beginner by the way because i dont actually know."

Comment

Originally posted by Danny79-Qc View Post
                CdnGhost, it's deffinately a good deal you got there. Didn't need to justify yourself. I just wanted to make sure you knew about this. No integrated gpu can really sucks if your card dies or if you get any issues related to it. Can't troubleshoot unless you get a new card and often the card isn't even dead. But if you have no problem dealing with this kind of issues then great! I would just not recommend it to a beginner. "Not saying you're a beginner by the way because i dont actually know."
                Agreed but I have access to a few other low end testing cards so I am not to worried about the lack of iGPU.

Not a beginner, been building PCs since 91 or so ... but i am always learning and expanding my knowledge base and appreciate any and all feedback and info! This is a new arena as I am not used to showcasing any work I do... let alone talking about it....

hopefully the weekend cooperates and I’ll have some photos to share of stuff and the beginnings of Achromatic.

Comment

Can't wait to see an air based build. Will be refreshing for sure.

Comment

Wasn't sold on the layout or look of the build so far so have revised the parts list... will update again as items change...

Comment

Well a whole load of new parts came in (updated main list), just awaiting the last part.... the RTX 3090 Founder Edition that will ship this week.
                      Photos will come, been sick and working a lot, had to finish home renos first before I have been able to get to the build....

Comment

That will be nice upgrade for sure. I never have been switching back and forth on GPU so much this launch. I wanted 3090 founders but ended up doing backordered 3080 strix for now as placeholder. I couldn't justify the costs with the minimal gains and it can't hit 4k120. More playing the waiting game, I am still considering going to 3080 20GB/AMD 6900XT too. The continuous stream of bad news on Nvidia side makes potential buyer think twice.

I was hoping to go 5year upgrade cycle for GPU this generation but now i am revising to just getting 2022 GPU in addition to the 2022 CPU (DDR5, etc). I should rename my build the endless delay.
                        Last edited by section31; 09-28-2020, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by section31 View Post
                          That will be nice upgrade for sure. I never have been switching back and forth on GPU so much this launch. I wanted 3090 founders but ended up doing backordered 3080 strix for now as placeholder. I couldn't justify the costs with the minimal gains and it can't hit 4k120. More playing the waiting game, I am still considering going to 3080 20GB/AMD 6900XT too. The continuous stream of bad news on Nvidia side makes potential buyer think twice.

I was hoping to go 5year upgrade cycle for GPU this generation but now i am revising to just getting 2022 GPU in addition to the 2022 CPU (DDR5, etc). I should rename my build the endless delay.
                          I still have a Pre-Order in for an EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, but I somehow managed to score this on day one... It was way outside of my price range as well but my beautiful wife said go for it... I am not one to question her lol... and yes this is quite the upgrade for me from the Star Wars Titan XP.

Comment

Little tease, need to take some time and do some more photos of all the stuff together, but am in the midst of some build mods... will add a few photos of that today as well.
                            For now here is a selection of some of the items to be used in this build.

For my case I will be using an InWin 905, that I purchased off a friend that already had some work done to the aluminum housing and part of the interior.
                            I am in the woks re doing some of the interior parts to accommodate more fans... you can never have enough airflow...

Next up is the BFGPU... The RTX 3090 complete overkill for me but I must admit, that it is by far one of if not the best looking cooler design of the 3000 series cards.

Lastly is a large portion of the builds components.
                            EVGA Z390 Dark
                            Patriot Viper Steel DDR4
                            Intel i9-9900k
                            and 10 Cooler Master SF120M (these fans are soooo well built, and 10 at 2000 RPM are shockingly quiet...)
                            Lastly the Cooler, the BeQuiet! Dark Rock TF, looks amazing imo.

More to come.

Comment

Today I did some tear down of the InWin 905 and took a dremel to her, my plan is to incorporate 1 additional fan in the front housing to bring the total number of fans in the system up to 10, also the back honeycomb grate for the rear exhaust fan was offset thus not allowing me to recess the fan in between the chassis and aluminum shell. So I removed the raised section to allow the fan to fit nicely between the chassis and shell.

After removing this section, I decided I wanted to build a plate to hide a lot of the factory cutouts on the back of the chassis, this way I can change the cable routing to suit my needs and in the end adding a much cleaner looking interior. So off to lowes to pick up a 24 x 24 sheet of aluminum.

Now to bust out the drill press, dremel again and my brake.

Drilled some holes, cut some aluminum and bent it into shape. This has really cleaned up the interior of the case a lot.

Fast forward a few days and I did a rough mark up for the fan holes, then started cutting them into the bent sheet of aluminum

Now to clean it up, but first lets test fit the fans to see how they look...

(I realized after the fact I put one backwards lol.... oh well)

Lots more to come still have a ton of work left but it's a start.

Comment

Working...
                              X