Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolverine - Old Man Logan

Hello all and thank you for having me!

I'm honored and excited to get started on the process of creating a build log for my submission into the 2020 CAMC.
    There are a lot of very talented people on these forums and in Canada and its really great to get a chance to see the work others do with PC modding. My friends have noticed that I personally love to do themed mods, and base my colors and look of a mod around a cool character! In the past I've done a Terminator build and a Venom build, and for the prestigious CAMC I knew I needed to apply a really cool character to give my style a chance to show through!

Enter, Wolverine - Old Man Logan !!

Everyone knows Wolverine as the incredibly badass X Men with an adamantium skeleton, giant claws, and healing factor. Well I'd like to take this chance to point everyone to Mark Miller's Old Man Logan books, they're very cool, and they show an aged, gruffer side of Logan, which I will try to show through in my mod!

I've planned for a distressed, battle hardened look to the build, while incorporating Wolverines colors and a slight X Men logo somewhere on the build for the theme.

Specs and components for the build.

CASE: Cougar Blazer
    GPU: Asus 2070 Super EVO
    CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
    MOBO: Asrock B550 Steel Legend
    Power Supply: EVGA GQ750
    RAM: Teamgroup T Force Delta 32gb @ 3600Mhz
    500gb WD Blue m.2
    2x HyperX Fury SSD's 1TB
    Adata 2TB SSD

Watercooling components:

Thermaltake C Pro Fittings,
    Thermaltake DDC Pump/Res combo
    Thermaltake Riing 2 Fans
    Thermaltake V Tubler PETG 16mm
    240mm DarkSide Radiator
    Alphacool Aurora 2070/2080 GPU Block
    Optimus AM4 CPU Block (Black)

Again thanks for having me, and I'll start with posting photos of the first components I had to work with, and the paints I planned to use in the build!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0197.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.3 KB ID:	91445
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	91448
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5151.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	91446
    Last edited by Rhoadspc; 08-11-2020, 03:33 PM.

Can't wait to see more!!

Comment

My first step in the build was to apply the theme to a few of the components, like the HyperX SSDs as well as the cases panels themselves.

The theme being Wolverine I felt it necessary to bust out the dremel and add some claw marks to the front and top panels! To get a more accurate look I used the vinyl printer to print off some claw rip marks as a template for the front and top panel.

For the SSD's I used a knife and a bit of sandpaper to get a scratched up distressed look, and applied the X Men symbol to them each to finish off the look of these parts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HyperXSSDs3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	91457 Click image for larger version  Name:	HyperX SSDs2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	91459

Very happy with how the SSDs turned out!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	91461 Click image for larger version  Name:	Front2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	91460 Click image for larger version  Name:	Front3 Prep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	91458

Badass front panel is clawed, sanded and ready for primer here!

Comment

Beautiful mods!

Comment

Can you make custom mods on demand? My 2 printers have been dead for a while. Thought one was the cervo but nope so could not repair it and i'm at a point where it is pointless to add funds to either fix them or buy new ones. I gota make 2 little mods for my nephew's build. Was going to do it by hand but to many complex details to cut the pvc or acrylic by myself.

Comment

Danny79-Qc absolutely man, shoot me an email at [email protected] with the pattern or ideas I'd be happy to help out!

Comment

Sweet! Thanks a billion times! I will sure contact you. I wrote a message for you in my thread "Project Bahamut" the last comment is for you. Let me know what you think please!

Comment

Once I had the case taken apart, and the panels all sanded down and primed using a gray primer, which I let dry for a full day (always). It was time to start the painting process!

While I do have 2 paint stands in the garage, this case had ALOT of panels and parts to paint, so I improvised a little and set up a Canadian paint rack in the driveway .

The paint process for these panels was primer > then 1 coat of yellow. Once that was dry I gave the panels a light sanding then applied burnt orange in two coats, 10 minutes apart.

Picture #3 in this post was a point where once the orange was dry, I gave it a light sanding again, and then used a cloth to apply copper where I wanted it to look distressed and weathered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5194.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	91523 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5191.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	91522Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5188.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	91521

While I had the copper paint out I thought it was a good opportunity to add some paint to the CPU block, on top of the light scratches I applied for the theme. Remember, this IS Wolverine we're dealing with here!

Name:	IMG_5200.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	91519 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5201.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	91520

Comment

Here are some photos of the case rails and top panel after paint and after I've added distressing to them with a paintbrush and some black airbrush paint. I also added some scarring and 3 distinct claw marks again to the top panel using my Dremel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5205.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	91570 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5203.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	91571 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5202.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	91573

Comment

So here's the case back together. with some black wash and distressing applied to each panel. I've also painted the front top panel a copper color. The effect I was going for was to work with the Old Man Logan look, so a run down, rusted version of Wolverine, which is why I've gone with a rust red here on the panels.

I felt like the case looked pretty good here !! BUT not quite perfect.. I found that other than the claw marks, it was a little difficult to catch the Wolverine vibes, a little too orange. More to come!

Name:	IMG_5207.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	91619 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5210.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	91620 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5209.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	91621

Comment

Looking great man! Love the old fashion you're giving it!

Comment

Cool looking build.
                        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

So after some review between me and my friends, the rust color looked cool, but on first impressions no one could really tell it was meant to be Wolverine hah.

SO ! back to the drawing board a bit, sanded the panels back down, and went at them with yellow, then did some work with my airbrush to add a blue border and really nail the feeling of Wolverines suit, as well as add some distressing with the airbrush using black/copper in areas that I thought the panels might have worn down over time. Lastly for the front panel I cut out a paper stencil of Logan and used the airbrush to apply it to the panel before adding a matte clear.

I apologize for not getting any pictures during the airbrushing phase, I did take some video of it but not sure how to get video transferred onto this forum.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5239.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	91636 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5273.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	91638 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5274.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	91637
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5287.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.7 KB ID:	91635 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5288.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.6 KB ID:	91634
                          Last edited by Rhoadspc; 08-26-2020, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Here are some pictures to help bring the mod together.

First is the final stage of the front panel, what a journey that panel went through! I am very happy with how it ended up though and I'm grateful for what I learned along the way with it. Second picture are the custom cable extension I ordered for this build from @Gscustomz, a Canadian custom cable maker, as well as the Wolverine / Logan dog tags I found to sneak into the build somewhere.

3rd and 4th picture here are of me installing the Alphacool Aurora GPU block onto the Asus 2070 Super EVO graphics card. This was a pretty simple process, and I was happy with how the card looked when I was done. The 2070 Super EVO only had one connection to unhook along with the usual gpu screws.

Next post it will be on to the internals of the build !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0044.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	91651 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5269.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.1 KB ID:	91652 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5221.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	91650 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5219.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	91657

Comment

Nice! First time i see this Alphacool waterblock. Looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X