Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing the lights...

Comment

Holy crap dude, I missed this entirely, you are putting in some serious work on that gear!! Nice job!

Comment

Thanks Bart. You know me, I love to improvise mods!

I have a small update. I created a bracket to adapt the Heatkiller RGB strip to the acrylic pump top. It's a piece of an old Antec case that I modded using tin snips, vise, hammer, file, sandpaper, and drill. The offset part was a pain in the ass!

Here I'm trying it out, not painted yet. From the side of the case you won't really see it, it will sit between the pump and the front of the case.

Comment

This plastic cover is removeable, and since I'll kinda be boxing it in with rads, I'll remove it to improve air flow near the VRMs. If need be I'll add a small fan above it in the top of the case.

You can see the top of a VRM heatsink, hidden behind the rad.

Rads are fitted, my motley collection of odds and sods! I know tube routing makes little difference, but I'll probably try to hit rads that exhaust heat from the case (rear and top) immediately after the hot components.

Here is a better look at those Deep Cool fans. The top two are for the 240mm rad, the bottom is fresh air.

Last edited by Grinder; 11-22-2020, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Now to mount the pump/reservoir. The hard drive mount plates hang on the back of the mobo tray/right side of the case. Care must be taken to drill mount holes where the screws won't interfere with them, plus the tabs at the bottom of the drive mounts protrude into the case in the area where the pump bracket goes.

Here you can see the two rectangular openings where the tabs go. I used the adhesive vibration pad that came with the original pump and bracket, and cut a pocket in it to accommodate one of the tabs sticking through.

It was a royal pain to get these nuts on!

To stabilize the position of the pump/res, I needed a res bracket. I fashioned a spacer from some packing foam to set the bracket far enough from the case.

Comment

I've plumbed the loop, routing is pump->GPU->CPU->rear rad->top rad->front rad. So the largest rad gets fresh air and the other two are hit first in an effort to exhaust some of the heat ASAP. Not that it will make much difference.

Here I am leak testing and flushing the loop, with fill and drain tubes attached.

Comment

Orange coolant is in. I've decided to throw another leftover into this build, a Deep Cool RGB strip, to light up the reservoir.

I need something to back it, to tidy up the look. After looking around I found some leftover vinyl tubing that I bought MANY years ago to use to trim around a case side window. I'll slit it open and flatten it.

I tried cutting it and sanding the end, but found I got the most even width and nicest edges by simply taking care when I slit it open.

Comment

A few pics of the lighting without the tinted tempered glass panel (looks cool but my camera doesn't do it justice). Still some work to do!

Comment

I installed a 120mm exhaust fan in the rear top of the case. Black for stealth. The idea is to create some airflow around the VRM's as that thick rear rad is creating a dead spot. I may drill two holes so I can move it a smidge more to the right.

Since I can only improve airflow so much by offsetting the front panel, I'll try to find time to ventilate the bottom front of the case for an intake fan. I have a purple LED AF140 that I'll never use in another build since I'm not a fan of the colour. Another leftover!

Comment

Here we have some leftover cable stuff:

Orange cablemods extensions (24 pin mobo, 8 pin EPS, 8 pin GPU), white 6 pin PCIe extension, unsleeved 8 pin EPS extension, blue/white custom cablemods EPS cable for Corsair. The tricky bit is to come up with enough male pins and the "extension" connectors. I have some female pins and a crimper, but no male.

That's a lot of pin removal and reinstallation! The idea is to remove the 4 white sleeves from the blue/white PSU cable and cut them in half to get 8. Then 8 cables come from the unsleeved EPS extension (they are the same length as the orange extensions). Then 6 more come from the white 6 pin PCIe extension, one end will have to be cut and new connectors installed. That gives me 14 white and 40 orange wires, 4 more than I need to do the ATX, 8 pin EPS, 4 pin EPS, 8 and 6 pin GPU extensions. I'll have to use one of the white connectors but it won't be in a visible spot. And I'm scavenging cable combs, they aren't all the right size or colour but I think I can make it work.

Years ago I bought a cheapo sleeving kit. Unfortunately the tool for removing these connectors died when I was adapting a Corsair cable to work with my EVGA PSU. Fortunately on the other hand, I have staples! I'll buy a nicer tool from Daz when I order again, but I think the staples will work.

Last edited by Grinder; 12-09-2020, 01:23 AM.

Comment

The staples worked out fine. I used a couple of heavy duty ones, or two pairs of lightweight staples, depending on how much space there was in the connector to release the pin.

Here are the GPU extensions, the wires and connectors are swapped around, just need to install new pins on the ends of the white ones.

Similarly the EPS CPU extensions. I'll likely cut down a cable comb to get a couple of 2x2's for the 4 pin.

I removed selected orange wires from the ATX mobo extension, and harvested the sleeving and the wires I intend to use to replace them. In total I've probably removed around 60 pins so far...

Last edited by Grinder; 12-12-2020, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Sleeving these wires isn't quite as simple as making sleeved cables from scratch, but I don't have the pins I need. Since I couldn't remove them, I had to slide the sleeving on over the pin, then open up the crimp to accommodate it.

I messed up a bit on the first one, but it's not on the visible end. I learned that the sleeving shrinks a little in length once the wire is inside, so it came out shorter than I intended (luckily it was still long enough to be inside the connector). The sharp edges on the pin caught on the fibers of the sleeving. I almost mangled one before I learned to put some tape on the pin before feeding it through. Sometimes it frayed, but I was able to loop some wire around it to coax it into a tighter configuration.

Comment

16 wire ends

Here is the finished ATX extension.

Comment

quality work kind sir.
                              HAF932 Mods
                              C70 Mods

Comment

Thank you good sir. I'm looking forward to your photo carpet bombing for your quarantine build!

I finished the other extensions except to tidy up some of the cable combs, here are a few shots. Strip 1 cm off the wire, kiss the sleeve with a lighter, then crimp. I finally got to try out the crimper I bought from Daz a while back. It only crimps one section at a time (e.g. inner and outer crimp for wire and insulated section) but worked great.

Comment

Working...
                                X