Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosted

--- Introduction ---

Hey everyone! The name of this mod mod is "Boosted". Why boosted? Let me just explain this first and say how to mod was born.

YouTuber "Major Hardware" is having a sort of fan showdown on his YouTube page where users can submit a fan blade design that he then puts on a Noctua fan hub and he rates them that way, this got me and my engineering mind to work, days past, weeks, suddenly I went to my parts bin in my shop to look for a specific fan and voila! Behold a 92mm, 38mm thick, 6000 RPM server fan from an Alienware Aurora R4 case! With that fan in hand, I could now start designing my idea.

My idea was to create a sort of electric turbo, have it functional and supplying the whole system with cooling with it. At first I thought about having it supply air for the GPU and CPU via ducts to their heatsinks, but that quickly escaladed to what I'll be showing you today.

Designing the fan was a fun learning experience for me as I work in SolidWorks, I never drew such a complicated parts with functions I normally do not use. So I knew I had to design it in three parts (ended up being 4, more on that later). I needed the turbo housing to be split in half to accommodate the turbo, so I ended up with the top housing, bottom housing and turbine.

After designing I quickly realized I was at the limit of my 3D printer, so I had to shorten out the exhaust tube to make it fit along with re-adjusting the initial mounting hole locations, this brought me to four parts for the turbo itself.

Then I started modding a Corsair 900D by removing the 5.25" bays, then making a cutout for the turbo itself with car intake performance cone filter, like you see on some turbo'd cars. For mounting the turbo, I simply used a sort of mounting cube made from 1515 aluminium t-slot from Spotswoods which made it super simple to mount. I then wanted to make this case more 2020 and the scratched-by-looking-at-it acrylic side panel didn't cut it. After looking through my stock on cases, I found that the InWin 509 window side panel fits really, really well on the case, oddly close. I then modded the InWin 509 glass mounts, which are screws on the 509 to fit the Corsair 900D to create the first real tinted tempered glass side panel in the world (that I'm aware?). I then took the old acrylic panel and will be using it to clean all the passthroughs and empty area where the 5.25" bays used to be (thinking green!)

This done it was time to move on to the next step, installing some hardware to keep planning and modding the next steps. I installed the motherboard (Gigabyte C621 Aorus Xtreme), two bottom radiators (EKWB Classic PE 360 and SE 360), radiator/pump (EKWB Kinetic FTL 240), PSUs (two Seasonic Prime 1300W Platinums with CableMod Pro ModMesh cables), then my next hurdle was to figure out how I would take the air intake from the turbo and send it to the radiators, this is when I put my design skills to the test once again, I designed an intake manifold with one 2" entrace and eight 1-1/4" exits to fit right between both
    radiators!

--- To-do list (could be missing a few things I added) ---
    • [DONE] Add pictures to this thread.
    • [DONE] Design flange to bolt on the manifold
    • [DONE] Cut up the manifold for 3D printing
    • [DONE] 3D print manifold
    • [DONE] 3D print flange
    • [DONE] Get 2" tubing for the plumbing (car exhaust tubing likely)
    • [DONE] Cut mid plate for cable/tubing passthrough
    • [DONE]Cut acrylic to finish the mid-wall
    • [DONE] Voltage gauges
    • [DONE] Temperature gauges
    • [DONE] Paint radiator fins to silver to look like intercoolers (both)
    • [DONE] Tachometers for pump RPM and turbo RPM
    • [DONE] Add LEDs in the case to see everything when the glass is on
    • [DONE] Add addressable LEDs in specific areas to create "under glow" type lighting
    • [DONE] Disassemble everything in the case to respray black everywhere from all the cuts, break clean up any cuts that are still "raw"
    • [DONE] Reassemble everything
    • [DONE] Vinyl decals
    • [DONE] Plumb EKWB watercooling
    • [DONE] Mod Hot Wheels Ford Transit SuperVan to fit theme (was the Gulf racing model)
    --- Completed hardware list ---
    • CPU : Xeon Gold 5218 ES (16c/32t) with EKWB Velocity WS
    • Motherboard : Gigabyte C621 Aorus Xtreme
    • RAM : Team Group 6*8GB Grey Vulkan Z
    • GPU : NVidia GTX 780 FE with EKWB FC
    • SSD : HP EX900 256GB with PCIE adapter
    • PSUs : Dual Seasonic Prime 1300W Platinum with Custom CableMod ModMesh Pro cables
    • Case : Corsair 900D with InWin 509 parts
    • Cooling : EKWB Classic PE 360 and SE 360, EKWB Kinetic FTL D5 240
    --- Updates ---
    1. October 30th, 2020 - Intro photo dump, fan turned into turbo, cutting opening for turbo, modding tempered glass from InWin 509, starting mid-wall plate with 900D acrylic window and manifold concept.
    2. October 31st, 2020 - Dual PSU with CableMod cables.
    3. November 5th, 2020 - 3D preview of the turbo setup.
    4. November 10th, 2020 - Design flange to bolt on the manifold, cut up the manifold for 3D printing, cut mid plate for cable/tubing passthrough, paint radiator fins to silver to look like intercoolers (both), disassemble everything in the case to respray black everywhere from all the cuts, break burrs and clean up any cuts that are still "raw", reassembled everything and installed TeamGroup RAM.
    5. November 12th, 2020 - Got my tubing for the turbo to the intake manifold (2" exhaust tubing), did some vinyl work, redid the mounting for the front panel to reflect theme and added tie-wrap decoration "à la" cheap drift car bumper fix, started printing the intake manifold (six total pieces for the manifold itself, one for the flange and a last one for turbo out extension)
    6. November 15th, 2020 - So I started working on making the tubing nice so I can clear coat it, finished 3D printing manifold and gluing and finished 3D printing flange and turbo extension tube
    7. November 18th, 2020 - Finished "brushing" the 2" exhaust tubing to use, added three main voltage displays on the frosted cover.
    8. November 25th, 2020 - So I put some white LEDs behind the custom frosted Modders-Inc logo, added three red LED Phobya temperature gauges, added silicone couplings, added the @moddersinc tag on the glass and added orange vinyl to two VRM fins.
    9. December 1st, 2020 - Soldered GPU 12V white LEDs for the waterblock, took some car wire harness tape to fit the theme and manage some cables and did the GPU power cable
    10. December 3rd, 2020 - Redid the mid-wall vinyl and cutting a smaller piece of plexi to cover the empty spot on the top left
    11. December 9th, 2020 - ARGB Cone filter and PC fan tachometers.
    12. December 16th, 2020 - Powder coated charge pipe, EKWB plumbing
    13. December 20th, 2020 - Last picture before photoshoot!
    14. December 22nd, 2020 - Final shots in case I don't get the AEM stuff in time!

--- A Special thank you to my Sponsors ---
    Last edited by Duality92; 12-23-2020, 01:44 AM.

Here's what I've done so far!

Modded fan with measurements

Mocking up the fan with the car performance cone filter.

Design phase started, this is my initial design, can you spot all of the modifications I brought to my model after my initial design?

First wave of 3D printed models. For the top, I was able to print without supports, but the bottom I had to put supports because of the angle and the center part would've been floating. I choose to put the supports on the outside to keep the interior smooth.

Second revision of the turbine because the housing was fine apart from one end that warped a little, I took the heat gun to at least bring it round again, even though it deformed. This is PVB material I'm using, I wanted to make sure my turbine held together. I had some IPA left over from pre-covid mixed with some acetone, I used this to smooth the parts, pre first coat of paint. This first coat of paint was just to give an idea how it would look after finishing touches and final installing. Here's a sample picture of what I was aiming for.

The only real downside is that when printing the top housing. For some odd reason there was some layer shifting near the middle for a few layers.

Finishing touches for the turbo.

Modding the mounts for the tempered glass from the InWin 509!

How the old acrylic side panel was integrated into the mid wall. Started planning out where I was going to pass my cables. I considered putting all the cables as a sort of harness like in a car, but I think it would look too bulky, so I choose to go with the traditional route as other things might be added into the case.

I then choose to design a manifold to distribute the air coming from the turbo going to the radiators. I based myself on this V8 manifold I found on google images.

Last edited by Duality92; 10-31-2020, 01:26 AM.

Comment

So fired up for this one!Pun intended

Comment

Installed the second Prime 1300W Platinum PSU from Seasonic, they generously sent one to accompany my first one, so I have 2600W of PSUs for this build. Two 24 pins, four 8-pin EPS!

Comment

That one freaking crazy board.
          Nice concept build. Interested in seeing how your blower fan preforms.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

OMG 2x 1300w PSU for this beast! Will you need a 25 Amp breaker to power up this machine?

Nice project, this turbine concept look very good.
            Last edited by C0LLARD; 11-01-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Wow! Deffinately a boosted rig haha! Loved the 900D back in the days. Didn't mod it like you but it was a great case. Very amazing job so far!

Comment

Should be back to work soon on the mod, I've been working lately to mod our master bedroom, unused bedroom which will have our third expected in April, bathroom and hallway.

Comment

Congrats for the 3rd one coming! Can't wait to see more!!

Comment

Had a tiny bit of time to draw the rest of the whole turbo setup, finished the flanged part and chopped it up for 3D printing.

Comment

Very interesting design.
                      I'm assuming that piece is going to fit between the two rads?
                      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

This is wicked! Makes me drool for a 3d printer next heh. Stoked to see it with the manifold installed!

Comment

this is insane. i really look foward to see this built completed !

Comment

Got quite a few things done!

Design flange to bolt on the manifold
                            Cut up the manifold for 3D printing
                            Cut mid plate for cable/tubing passthrough
                            Paint radiator fins to silver to look like intercoolers (both)
                            Disassemble everything in the case to respray black everywhere from all the cuts, break clean up any cuts that are still "raw"
                            Reassemble everything

Comment

Nice job! Rads fins color look very good! I love the turbo style on the top. I am very curious to ear the sound of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X