No announcement yet.

Death to COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then I taped up and marked the case where I wanted to cut it, drilled the corners, and cut the top section out with a jigsaw. I still have to clean it up with a file and do a bit of sand and paint, but there are other cuts to be made first. Next up will be the front.

Comment

I'll use some pieces of scrap aluminum left over from another project to reinforce the top of the case and provide a solid place to hang the rad support from. It will also fill in the gaps, hugging the side of the rad.

*** edit **
      After fiddling with this a bit, I decided to forgo the aluminum reinforcement. That will make it easier to hang and adjust the fractal case remnant as a rad support, and it adds enough rigidity anyway.​
      Last edited by Grinder; 08-28-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Here are some of the nips and tucks I did to the fractal panel in order to fit it in as a rad support.

Just testing it roughed in. Some tweaks and tidying up to do but it fits and I can get the top cover on. I'd like to have a smidge more room above the mobo but if clearance becomes an issue I might do away with the top cover frame and just use mesh.

Last edited by Grinder; 08-29-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to put the finishing touches on the adjustable radiator hanger, but I did check some local metal shops for mesh. Ideally I wanted 1/4 inch hole honeycomb aluminum for the outside, but I couldn't find any. There were a few online but long shipping times, pricey, and I didn't like the shipping options.

I ended up with 1/2 inch hole steel honeycomb, plus some round hole perforated steel for the inner front (to hang the rad and provide a surface for a filter to rest against). These two ~48 x 10 inch pieces were $20. It will be a pain to bend the honeycomb to fit the top (this stuff is strong!), but I'll give it a go. If I can't make it work, I'll use the honeycomb instead of the round perforated to hang the rad as it has much better air flow.

Comment

I love where this is going!!!
            Last edited by Tpbmods; 09-07-2021, 02:00 AM.

Comment

I'm glad you can see the vision Mr. PB. I have a bunch of foundational/functional type mods to do but there are lots of strongly themed mods to come!

Comment

I was toying with loop order and considering where to put a fill port when it came to me.

Instead of just running some coolant through the bubble, I'll use it as the access point to the system, to submit a virus for sterilization. Oh, and a stealthed fill port!

I have an ancient CPU cooler, it will make a great mount for the bubble/fill port.

Here is a tease of some of the paint I'll be using. The silverchrome will be for the honeycomb and i/o panel, the dark blue for much of the plastic outer shell. I was really wanting Montana Gold Ultramarine, but couldn't find it locally I picked up the Behr "inked" colour, and was walking into the house thinking that I could always get the Ultramarine later, when the modding gods slapped it out of my hands. Luckily it didn't explode on the front step, but it definitely won't be going back now!

Comment

Aside from the busted fan controller, the 600T was missing the trim piece/PSU filter. It looks like this old piece of Rosewill case (was a spare and a donor for an IO panel on my MODell build) might match up.

I also have a nice filter left over from the donor piece of Fractal Design case that I used for the top rad hangar. I should be able to attach some guides and supports to make it work. I'll likely install an intake fan in the bottom of the case as well.

Last edited by Grinder; 09-11-2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I cut a chunk out of the old plastic Rosewill case top, trimmed it to replace the missing trim piece at the back of the case, cut a bracket from a metal piece of case, and screwed them together (it was a fussy piece to sort out!). The idea is to use the aluminum flat bar to act as slides for the filter and attach the trim to them so I will have a removeable filter/trim assembly.

Last edited by Grinder; 09-14-2021, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Sometimes, I just have to embrace the name... I cut out the front of the case to prepare for the rad mount, plus opened up the bottom to add an intake fan that will take advantage of the new filter.

Last edited by Grinder; 09-21-2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

The fans now fit through the opening (I needed a bit of clearance on the other side). The idea is to put a piece of mesh on spacers to serve as a mount and lay a dust filter on top of it.

Last edited by Grinder; 09-21-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I also nipped a flange off the mobo tray near the PSU in order to reuse yet another fractal case piece: the shroud. I cut and folded the rear flange to fit it in.

This will hide some wires and the new bottom intake fan, plus provide support for some other stuff that is coming.

Last edited by Grinder; 09-21-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I used the grinder again to cut out a piece of mesh for the front. It's taking a lot of adjustment to get it to fit the way I want inside the front trim, offset from the front of the frame. It's a fine line! The more I shave the sides, the deeper I can get it but the less overlap I have on the sides of the rad and case. It's going to be a pain in the ass to position and attach, since it will be screwed to the front of the frame but needs to be perfectly aligned inside the trim when it's on...

Comment

Cool mesh.
                              __________________________________________________
                              Retro Build: Build Log,
                              Baby Blue Build: Build Log,
                              Green Lanten Build: Build Log,
                              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                              Venom Build: Build Log,
                              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                              Orange Build: Final Video
                              HTPC Build: Final Video
                              __________________________________________________

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                                Cool mesh.
                                It's pretty sturdy stuff, a bit thicker than a typical case. Good for hanging the rad. I was going to use something with better flow for the bottom fan, but decided to stick with this to retain rigidity in the case and be consistent with the front. If it is too restrictive I can always enlarge the holes a bit. For the front and the bottom pieces I've used about half of a scrap piece that cost me $10 at a local metal shop.

I'm trying to figure out a trim piece for the end of the shroud/edge of the mesh that will also serve as a mount for the pre treatment containment chamber (pump/res) and the sterilization module

Comment

Working...
                                X