external drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external drives

With out spending a fortune for external spinning desks storage, maybe raid 0 idea, any suggestions, and what do u guys use?
    Blackout
    Something-New
    Sma8-Caselabs

I use FreeNAS. The RAM requirements are harsh though. I have 10 x 6TB WD Red drives and you need about 64GB of memory to run smoothly.

Right now, the cheapest drives are the 8TB models. The externals go as low as 180 bucks these days.

Comment

I have a PC in my living room connected to my network that has 2x 3tb drives. (non raid) Cheapo AMD stuff that cost me $40 for mobo and cpu with 1 stick of ram I already had and a $20 psu.

What kind of space do you need? I mean I'm rocking 6TB and Cyclops has up to 60TB! Probably best to get an 8TB drive as they are best price per TB. When I bought my first 3TB they were best price.

I don't worry about raid since I don't have the money and I have it set up to only turn the drives on when I'm using them.
      My Imgur

Comment

Ya 8tb is lots for me basically have 6tb now of internal drives that I want to loss in my lr rig.
        Blackout
        Something-New
        Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

I just went the cheep and dirty method of grabbing a couple 8TB drives similar to Necrodead but I just used windows to mirror the drives together for redundancy and its worked great that way for a couple years so far.
          Also if one drive fails I can just add a second to the raid and Im back in business or I can get files immediately off of the good drive if needed unlike some external raids that encode everything in to their own proprietary files and you cant get anything back in the event of a catastrophic failure, or you are sending the drive to them to have the data recovered which can take weeks or months. I was surprised how well windows manages it and how easy it is to transfer the drives to another computer if the original fails. Ive moved drives a couple times between computers and windows will detect and re-imports the raid array in disk manager (you have to go into it and click on one of the drives for windows to do anything with the drives) and re syncs the drives without loosing data and you can still work on them as it is re syncing.

Comment

Originally posted by nass View Post
            Ya 8tb is lots for me basically have 6tb now of internal drives that I want to loss in my lr rig.
            Ah if thats what your doing then (at least for me) the cheapest option was to build a pc to host them. Cheaper than those freestanding NAS things that seem to be overly expensive. I built one, but you could get something really cheap off your local classifieds, like a used prebuilt, you really don't need performance.
            I calculated the power use/cost and I can't remember what it draws, (maybe 20ish watts?) but with a calculation of power at $.15 a MW(?) it was going to run me $30 a year running 24/7. realistically it will be more like $20 since power is usually cheaper here. I could have used much better parts I already had, but then the power would cost a lot more per year.
            I also installed a legit copy of windows 10 but you don't really have to. You also don't need any extra programs or anything, since it is connected to your network you can directly access it quite easily. I even have an app on my phone that lets me access my network and I use that to stream Dragonball Z via the wireless while I'm painting models in the kitchen.
            My Imgur

Comment

Painting models!? Tell us more!

Comment

Thx guys, ya am just going to grab an external 8 tb will be more than enough space for now. Just want too get rid of the disk drives in this new rebuild for lr.
                Blackout
                Something-New
                Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Yeah nass getting those things out of the main pc is the way to go. I still have to wait a few sec for data but at least I don't have to listen to the platters spinning up all the time!

Originally posted by kennah View Post
                  Painting models!? Tell us more!
                  Haha, I started building warhammer 40k models a couple months ago. I have finished painting exactly one model so far... I am very slow.
                  My Imgur

Comment

Working...
                  X