Tool tip for chamfering hard tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool tip for chamfering hard tube

So let me get this out first... I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU TRY THIS! DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

lol ok now that we are clear, Ive been building a lot of rigs with hard tube and mainly 12mm but at times after building other things and what not my arthritis gives me grief in that I have a hard time holding on to small pieces of tube and trying to chamfer it, so I had tried the Primochill RFB tool but it was completely useless and since have tried to look for other solutions until I had enough one night and grabbed the de-burr tool from DazMode, a 2" hole saw and a bit of electrical tape.

I wound some tape around the de-burr tool, just enough to make it a touch wider and then slid it inside the hole saw bit. The electrical tape gives it enough friction so it doesn't move and from there I just slapped it on my drill and have a now very handy power chamfer tool for hard tubing FOR ME it works great running the drill in reverse at a low speed, it very quickly chamfers the hard tube, does a very good job and is far faster and easier on my hands as well and thought I would share the idea. BUT again try it AT YOUR OWN RISK lol. As working with short tubes you need to be careful not to let the teeth of the bit catch your fingers lol.

I might take it apart in the near future and take my grinder to it and smooth down the teeth, but for now I don't have the time lol.

Cheers,
    -dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	chamfer01.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	86914
    The red in the middle is the electrical tape I wrapped around the chamfer tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chamfer02.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	86915

Nice!
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

This is a great tip! I will try it out on a build i'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Ashihtaka View Post
        This is a great tip! I will try it out on a build i'm working on
        Thanks, but like I mention. Be careful of the teeth lol. and watch to see what direction works best. For me with the chamfer tool from DazMode it works best with the drill in reverse

Comment

Working...
        X