Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1080Ti Failing need recomendations

Greetings all!

Hope everyone is staying safe out there!

Having a recurring issue with my 1080ti where the screen will go black, my fan speeds will shoot up to 100% and I will have shutdown using the power button (it will still do a safe shutdown)

I have looked over the forums and this seems to be an issue with power delivery. I have swapped out the PSU to a larger one and the issue went away for a bit. I am going to try different PCIe power cables tonight to see if it solves the issue.

If not, what would you guys recommend as a temp solution until the Nvidia 3000 series/Big Navi come out? I really don't want to buy something big now as my next big upgrade was going to be one of the new cards (plus waterblock)

5700XT? 2060/2070?

Curious to see what everyones thoughts are

Cheers,

Chris
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | AMD r9 290 Crossfire | Win8.1 Pro 64 | EK-Supremacy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | EK - FC290 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Koolance RP - 401X2 | Case Labs M8 |

If you plan on upgrading later, go with the cheapest possible. Usually i would recommend nvidia for sure but going with low end card, you wont have a use for RTX. Takes to much ressources for the 2060 and 2070 to run smoothly. Pay double bucks just to have one effect active out of 5 is meh. So yeah, im surprising myself to say that but go with RX5700XT. It will be the cheapest untill you get à 30's series. Of course if you can fix the issue with your 1080ti, keep that one tho!

Comment

I would recommend you lowering power target and core/memory clocks bit by bit till you get to a point where the system does not shutdown anymore.

Comment

Or i could sell you a Asus Dual RTX 2080 Super OC Evo with EK Vector Quantum RTX RE water block and the chromed backplate for 1200$

Comment

I will check the power targets but it has been doing this with stock settings
          Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Intel i7 3930K | Crucial 4x4Gb | OCZ Vertex 3 MaxIOPS 240GB | WD Velociraptor 1TB | AMD r9 290 Crossfire | Win8.1 Pro 64 | EK-Supremacy | 2 x Alphacool XT45 360 | EK - FC290 | 2x Liang DDC 3.25 | Koolance RP - 401X2 | Case Labs M8 |

Comment

Right now it is down to the 2070 Super and the 5700XT, assuming I can't work my magic and get things stable again. And then once the next gen comes out I can either sell it or replace the 1070 in my living room PC.

Comment

There's no guarantee that a card remains stable under stock clocks during it's entire lifespan, so start lowering clocks see if helps stability.

Comment

Swapped out the PCIe cables and things "seem" to be stable. Running stock clocks and tweaked seem to be fine, did looping 3dmark stress tests with out issues.

From what I can gather from others that have seen this happen is that its either OCP or OVP protection kicking in. It happens at stock clocks just idling at the desktop or in games.

I hope I can limp along until the next gen is released.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X