Flameless Torch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flameless Torch

Hey everyone, a few weeks ago I decided to finish up some wiring on my Down&Out build. It's been sitting in storage for a couple of years now. Got out the flameless torch to do some paracord sleaving. I bought this on Amazon about 5 years ago for around $40-$50. Not too long after that it had a trigger malfunction.

The metal pin that the trigger pivots on sits inside a hub that is molded into each half of the handle. Eventually the flimsy plastic hub breaks and the trigger remains compressed. To fix that problem I drilled a hole through the hub in each side of the handle and used a 3mm screw to replace the metal pin and hold the whole thing together.

That lasted for a while but then the next weakest link in the chain broke. The trigger cracked at the bottom of the slot that the lock slides up and down in. They didn't leave enough material behind when they designed the trigger lock.

​​
    The SLOB : A 3570K Build
    Down & Out : A 2600K Build
    V-353 : A 4770K Build

Oooops, hit the wrong button. More to come

Comment

So I threw some aluminum tape on the trigger to try and hold it together but that didn't last long. These rebranded torches look exactly the same as the Irodas so they are no worse nor no better. I ended up finishing the job with a disposable lighter which actually seems to work better on the paracord. There's probably someone out there who has remedied this problem. Maybe with a 3d printer. All I know is that I wouldn't want my life to depend on this thing

Comment

I use my trustworthy Bic, works every time. Until fuel runs out then I use the next one. I usually buy then in 5 or 6 packs.
        Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
        OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
        Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Good plan Hooded. Even the lighter that came with the torch was sketchy. If you filled it and didn’t use it till the next day it would be empty when you went to use it again. I have bics that are over 10 years old and are still full.

Comment

Working...
          X