No announcement yet.

RTX Gouging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not rushing out to buy anything in the PC market right now.
    Simply not worth the costs.
    Maybe for X-mas 2022 but nothing before that.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
      I'm not rushing out to buy anything in the PC market right now.
      Simply not worth the costs.
      Maybe for X-mas 2022 but nothing before that.
      That's right. For existing owner, it's best to keep there GPU's (3000/6000) as costs for next gen are expected to jump up 20-40%. Making an situation where you existing GPU will resell for its costs more or less. This is probably better hedge to expected increase in GPU prices.

Late 2022/Early 2023 is next gen release. So i think it's better you save your cash for it. Expect 3000usd 4090 (similar for AMD equivalent).

Last edited by section31; 10-22-2021, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by notgod View Post
        So sad. Things are not getting any better. This is starting to look like the beginning of the end of PC gaming. Prior to this so-called 'pandemic', a person could piece together a relatively powerful gaming machine with a top tier GPU for less than $2500. Today, you cant even buy a second tier card for the same cost of an entire system. As you all know, video cards have tripled in retail price - not COST. This is out-right price gouging. Call it what they want. I call it straight up greed, scalping, and gouging. Starting right from the top - the manufacturers (remember MSI?). Right down to the end retailer. Crypto-mining is more likely the reason than a semi-conductor shortage. Large companies and corporations have invested thousands if not millions in crypto mining. Literally buying PALLETS of high-end GPUs.

There are oil and gas producers that have set up mining farms on well sites. Utilizing low cost power generated from 'raw gas'. Generators that were already producing excess electricity for that given location. Other industries are doing the same thing. These arent just little farms. 100's of high-end GPUs for a single mining operation. There are only so many 'pallets' of new GPUs. Those with the cash and 'pull' will get first dibs. We, the actual intended consumers, get the left-overs - at a premium.

Semi-conductor shortage? Pathetic excuse. GM may have gotten away with that excuse, so others follow? GM seems to be the only car/truck manufacturer with an empty car lot in my city. And it is literally empty. Ford and Dodge both have full lots.

Sadly, I believe prices wont come down. Just like the covid mandates and restrictions were implemented, they are here to stay. Those mandates and restriction are not only here to stay, they will only get tighter. And GPU prices will continue to get higher.

Sorry for the rant. Couldnt help myself after seeing what newegg is charging for a 3080 today, and listening to CBC radio. The CBC is the epitome of pathetic. Fear mongering at its greatest. And a great source of mis-information and unfounded claims.
        The true winners this generation are the people who got there cards before Early 2021 (the price increases). You either mined on it and made more than GPU investment back or you are sitting on huge recovery value. I should have kept the 3090 Kingpin (but who knew optimus kingpin block would be so good) i got at 2800ish Cad. I could have resold my 3090FTW3 with Optimus FTW3 for 3500ish cad around then and would have largely covered the costs required to get the Kingpin block from Optimus. Also had various opportunities to get cards at msrp but yielded them to friends. However, i still turned out ok in the end. Through the trades, i ended up with 3080TI at 2100ish Cad cost and Optimus Block at 300Cad or so. So I very likely can recover my full costs for next gen. 

Comment

I missed my que in 2020 for an EVGA 3080FTW by 10 hours. Was at work. Waited and waited for my que on a 3070. Then in May this year, my son got his que for a EVGA 3070. Fortunately it was a 'KR' not a gimped 'KL'. Not that I want to start mining, but even so. He had already snagged a MSI 3070, so I grabbed the his card from EVGA. July I finally get a notice for a  3070Ti  'KL', and actually caught it in time.  Asked around to a few buddies. Nobody wanted it so I passed it up.

I managed to get a water block for my 3070, so I am happy with it. Great clocks for gaming, 2100mhz on the GPU and 2000mhz on the memory. 2235mhz on GPU and 2078mhz on mem for a Time Spy score of 15,361 and 9663 for Port Royal. Dont think it has ever broke 55C other than testing on air.

Comment

I don’t think alderlake will be scalped at least. The motherboard and ram costs are quite high.  Coupled with the stuff being preorderable should effectively kill profitability. 

Comment

Working...
            X