Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mini-Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mini-Review

Hey everyone, I just wanted to do a quick little review of the Phanteks Evolv ATX version and point out some of the good and bad aspects of the case. I read tons of reviews before I made my choice and while the case is very good, they all seemed to omit any of the potential problems.

First, the good:

Build quality is excellent, enough so that the 250 dollar price tag can easily be overlooked. All the outer panels are made of thick aluminum with a very nice finish that doesn't seem like it would scratch very easily. The chassis itself is constructed of steel and has little if any flex. There is very little plastic anywhere on the case, only the tabs on the top panel, the HDD mount covers and the power light housing. For the price, I don't think you will find anything as well constructed with as many features.

Cable management is a breeze with the PSU isolated in the "basement" from the rest of the components and there are plenty of holes with rubber grommets to route as many cables as could possibly need. Without a radiator in front you can mount hard drives down the backwall with the included brackets and within the cage found in front of the bottom fan mount on the front of the case. There are 3 spots to mount ssds, two behind the motherboard tray and one on the frontside of the PSU cover. They are mounted with easy to use snap and lock brackets.

Radiator support is very good for a mid tower. You can simultaneously mount a 240 and 360 of all thicknesses in either the top or front. For a front mounted 360 the hard drive cage needs to be removed. The top radiator is mounted on a slide in bracket, so there is no frustrating balancing act to be performed while mounting. Reservoirs can be mounted below the rear fan in front of the PCI brackets, or along the back wall beside the hard drive mounts. Depending on front radiator thickness, you may not be able to squeeze a reservoir in without the motherboard or GPU getting in the way. There is also an included pump mount to allow you to mount the pump in the basement. This removes the ability to use the hard drive cage and limits the front mounted radiator to 240s only.

Now for the bad:

Airflow, as I mentioned, I have read tons of reviews and not one has mentioned any sort of concern with the design of the top panel and the potential problems with air flow it can cause. The top panel has only very thin vents with mesh running down either side of the panel and a small opening on the rear of the panel to exhaust air. I imagine if you are air cooling and running fans at low speed this will allow hot air to escape without issue; However, if you are running a radiator in the top, the heat cannot escape fast enough and the air hits the top panel and then just saturates the case with heat. I have found that after stressing the CPU for the same amount of time with both the top panel on and removed, there was a 7 degree temperature difference on the hottest core and a 6 degree temperature difference in the water. I imagine if you have no intentions of overclocking or you are running cooler hardware this might not matter to you, but it will limit the amount of overclocking unless you bench with the top removed.

It would be nice if the case was slightly wider if only to give a bit more room on the rear reservoir mount. A 60mm wide reservoir fits but just barely without coming into contact with the GPU.

Those are my only 2 gripes with this case but the first one is quite a serious problem for me. I would have really liked to see Phanteks include much better ventilation on the top panel. It would also be nice if the fans could be mounted on the stop side of the top mounting bracket but there isn't enough room due to the top braces on the chassis. Overall this a really good case for water cooling and I found that the airflow issue could be somewhat mitigated by reversing the airflow and drawing air in through the top and out the front but that seems like it would be working against how we know hot air behaves and probably isn't ideal.

If you want any pictures of the case you can use google, or view my build log. Hope this helps someone make a decision somewhere.

Edit: I should add that 7 degrees maybe doesn't seem like a big deal but it's the difference between 73 degrees and 80 degrees on my 5820K at 4.5ghz and 1.3v under stress. It's the difference between "I'm comfortable with this 24/7" and "I can only bench with this."
    Last edited by Chann3l; 02-06-2016, 11:38 PM.

Good review Chann3l, lots of info. Seems surprising I haven't read anything about this case's problems yet, but I think most reviews at most just put hardware in there and call it a day, no liquid cooling or overclocking.

Just wanted to mention that although warmer air rises it won't effect your cooling setup. I can't remember the math from college, but warm air rising is so weak even a single fan is hundreds of times more powerful. You could blow warm air out the bottom of your case and it wouldn't affect your cooling. (I actually have one of my rads blowing hot air out the bottom in my 760T)
    My Imgur

Comment

If you check out the linustechtips forum (not sure if I can mention another forum on this one), search for "Top Fan Cavity Mod" and you can see someone modded the case to fit an extra set of fans between the rad mount and top braces of the case. Obviously it isn't the prettiest mode, but the top panel covers it.

As for the review. Pretty good points. I don't see the rear reservoir mount as an issue as there is plenty of space at the front of the case to mount a reservoir.

Comment

Yeah, I'm actually quite pissed that a lot of reviewers glossed over the airflow issue on the Evolv cases, but whined about this on the NZXT H440's, which are actually much better in this regard even with the limited intake/exhaust space.

I really like the styling and utility of the whole Evolv case line, but after my experiences with the Evolv M-ATX original version, there was no way I'd invest all that money into one of these cases only to have to slice and dice the top. I don't understand why the guy on LTT (DieHörnær) didn't just do push-pull below the fan bracket? Phanteks has become really good (like Fractal) at pushing the fans far enough away from the motherboard that this seems like one of those head scratchers to me.

But thanks for the info Chann3l, and good solid review.

I guess for those who want the utlity and great features of the Evolv ATX without the airflow issues, are ok with the smaller window, the Enthoo Pro-M is a good alternative. I've seen the military green version of the Pro-M and the powder coating is extremely nice, much better than the textured black paint on most cases.
        DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

Very good review indeed. I have the Evolv ITX and I came to the same conclusion about the airflow. Removing the front panel and the top panel gave me 9 degree lower average cpu cores temp. Thanks for sharing and sorry that you had to discover these info the hard way.

Comment

Thanks guys, sorry for responding so late, I didn't see that people replied haha. @10e ya I read a lot about the problems with airflow in the h440 but it isn't mentioned in reviews for this which seems really odd to me.

@necro I think that is most likely the reason. Most reviewers aren't doing serious water cooling but with a case that is marketed as being a serious water cooling case, reviewers should be reviewing it for what it is built for and actually put the marketing to the test. Otherwise you are just repeating shit everyone expects out of any case lol.

Comment

I posted this issue @ Phanteks forums so they have a better chance of knowing about it.
              Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
              OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
              Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Hooded = CityTV ... Everywhere
                HAF932 Mods
                C70 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                  I posted this issue @ Phanteks forums so they have a better chance of knowing about it.
                  Excellent! I really hope they get wind of it.

Originally posted by bungwirez View Post
                  Hooded = CityTV ... Everywhere
                  Except Hooded probably does a better job lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X