ModmyMods.....uh....pro mod for Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ModmyMods.....uh....pro mod for Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

For those (like me) who consider the air flow on the top panel to be sub-par on the Evolv ATX, they have a mod for it which opens it up, and looks decent. I can't tell what the filter material is, but getting a modmesh or hex mesh in steel or aluminum and securing it to the top panel would be trivial for most of the pros around here.

So now you don't have to slice and dice the case to fix the airflow problems!!!!

https://modmymods.com//custom-servic...case-mods.html
    DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Really nice, I wish they had something for other models. One day, I guess...
    Sentinel Build: Build Log,
    Venom Build: Build Log,
    Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
    Orange Build: Final Video
    HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Awesome news, too bad I don't own that case anymore lol

Comment

So, somebody would pay $80 on top of the already $180 price tag for that? That is just outright insane. Money would have to be no object, and that person completely useless to have to buy that.

Just my opinion.

Comment

I would normally agree with that Xman, but the 3mm thick aluminum is going to cost you that in Dremel discs if you want to modify it on your own.

The unfortunate part is that the stock top has very poor airflow, but what people forget is that if you forego the aluminum shell, the Enthoo Pro M is 100% the exact same chassis without the airflow problems, and just has a steel/plastic, or steel/plastic/glass exterior and costs like $120.00 Cdn.

Oh, and that's $80.00 USD, or $120.00 Cdn
          DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

A Hundred bucks are nothing these days. One trip to groceries.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by 10e View Post
              I would normally agree with that Xman, but the 3mm thick aluminum is going to cost you that in Dremel discs if you want to modify it on your own.

The unfortunate part is that the stock top has very poor airflow, but what people forget is that if you forego the aluminum shell, the Enthoo Pro M is 100% the exact same chassis without the airflow problems, and just has a steel/plastic, or steel/plastic/glass exterior and costs like $120.00 Cdn.

Oh, and that's $80.00 USD, or $120.00 Cdn
              If it cost me more than $20 to cut out that top, I would give up modding forever. Furthermore, for $80, I would expect a custom pattern cut.

Again, just out right laziness, and no creativeness required.

For about $20 or less, a person could bring it to a shop and have it custom cut, with precision, on a water table. But there must be a shit ton of lazy people out there if they are selling. Or hoping to anyways. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by xmanrigger View Post
                If it cost me more than $20 to cut out that top, I would give up modding forever. Furthermore, for $80, I would expect a custom pattern cut.

Again, just out right laziness, and no creativeness required.

For about $20 or less, a person could bring it to a shop and have it custom cut, with precision, on a water table. But there must be a shit ton of lazy people out there if they are selling. Or hoping to anyways. LOL
                You are saying that someone can go to a local machine shop and have a custom aluminum panel cut for less than 20 dollars? If so, shop name please because there are many things I would love to have done at that price.

Comment

There is a lot that went into the cover.
                  For starters, it was cut using a CNC machine, you're not going to get the nice crisp clean cut with a Dremel or a jig saw that they have done, Especially not twice.
                  The top has been anodised to perfectly match the case. The filter is perforated steel.

Many will pay $100 Canadian for such an item because they don't have the time, the tools, the know-how. They just want better airflow in a case that they didn't want to mod in the first place.
                  Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                  OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                  Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Its an item that will sell I think. I own an Evolv TG and I like the idea, but I knew going in that I was going to have higher temps in this case. Such a pretty case tho.

And I would buy the custom top if I wanted better airflow, and it has nothing to do with money or my lack of skills with machines. I don't think I could bring myself to cut up such a nice piece of anodized aluminum. I could do the best job possible that there could be done at home, and I wouldn't be able to anodize the cut edge either. Just saying, even a modder might consider paying the price for something like this.
                    My Imgur

Comment

I absolutely guarantee this item will sell.

Dremel discs will melt quickly with 3mm thick aluminum, and a jig saw would have a lot of buck and jump trying to go through this. Maybe an angle grinder will work, but again, then you have to re-anodize or paint the top to an identical finish to get it this guud.

My only wish is that they did this for the front too, but the front can be modded with washers to off-set it a bit more forward to increase intake air. And really, like I said, this is a premium case (with this flaw of airflow) with design over function, whereas someone could easily get a Pro M with tempered glass and get the same exact chassis with better airflow if they want to go the "cost effective" route.

Realistically, even if you look at water cooling and modding in general, it's a luxury these days. GPUs are generally quiet with the custom air coolers that a lot of manufacturers are putting in, and with Ryzen (for example) a decent air cooler from Noctua, Phanteks, Cooler Master, or Be Quiet! would easily cool the CPU quietly. Christ the 65 watt Ryzen CPUs are easily cooled at stock by the included Wraith Spire LED cooler that comes with them.

In terms of cooling, my only dislike is usually AiOs because I'm not a big fan of putting a small pump over a hot component like a GPU or CPU, even with liquid flowing through it. And I once had an Antek AiO fail that almost took my CPU with it once.

Comment

Originally posted by Chann3l View Post
                        You are saying that someone can go to a local machine shop and have a custom aluminum panel cut for less than 20 dollars? If so, shop name please because there are many things I would love to have done at that price.
                        Yes, absolutely.

Look, you have to swap out the top to utilize the new one, right? So you take the original one off and bring it to machine shop. You can now have it custom cut to YOUR desire, not 'what is available'. Done.

And yes. If they charge you more than $20, find a reputable shop. I get a lot of this done for free more times than not by basically having parts prepped and ready for machining. There is little to no prep work to get ready for cutting on a water table. Have design with specs in hand when you go there. Original finish of part(s) will not be effected Bringing a box of donuts for the boys will go a long way as well for next time.

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
                        There is a lot that went into the cover.
                        For starters, it was cut using a CNC machine, you're not going to get the nice crisp clean cut with a Dremel or a jig saw that they have done, Especially not twice.
                        The top has been anodised to perfectly match the case. The filter is perforated steel.

Many will pay $100 Canadian for such an item because they don't have the time, the tools, the know-how. They just want better airflow in a case that they didn't want to mod in the first place.
                        Talk to B-Negative or CoolerMiester about nice clean cuts by hand. In the past, I have seen work by both of them you would swear was cut by CNC. Those two guys are among true modders.

The filter is irrelevant. It can be anything as it is hidden, no?

Originally posted by 10e View Post
                        I absolutely guarantee this item will sell.

Dremel discs will melt quickly with 3mm thick aluminum, and a jig saw would have a lot of buck and jump trying to go through this. Maybe an angle grinder will work, but again, then you have to re-anodize or paint the top to an identical finish to get it this guud.

My only wish is that they did this for the front too, but the front can be modded with washers to off-set it a bit more forward to increase intake air. And really, like I said, this is a premium case (with this flaw of airflow) with design over function, whereas someone could easily get a Pro M with tempered glass and get the same exact chassis with better airflow if they want to go the "cost effective" route.

Realistically, even if you look at water cooling and modding in general, it's a luxury these days. GPUs are generally quiet with the custom air coolers that a lot of manufacturers are putting in, and with Ryzen (for example) a decent air cooler from Noctua, Phanteks, Cooler Master, or Be Quiet! would easily cool the CPU quietly. Christ the 65 watt Ryzen CPUs are easily cooled at stock by the included Wraith Spire LED cooler that comes with them.

In terms of cooling, my only dislike is usually AiOs because I'm not a big fan of putting a small pump over a hot component like a GPU or CPU, even with liquid flowing through it. And I once had an Antek AiO fail that almost took my CPU with it once.
                        I modded two different SilverStone TJ07 cases. Very similar in material. Jigsaw/saber saw cut it no prob with proper blade and speed. And without damaging/marring finish.

I am just saying that seems like an exorbitant amount to pay, for a case you have already payed an exorbitant price for.
                        Last edited by xmanrigger; 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Xman: I think the issue here is a lot of us don't have that "machine shop" knowledge that a lot of guys here have. Nerds like me would have no idea you could get custom stuff done that cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartacus View Post
                            Xman: I think the issue here is a lot of us don't have that "machine shop" knowledge that a lot of guys here have. Nerds like me would have no idea you could get custom stuff done that cheap.
                            Or the time.... Before my second son was born, yeah I'd agree, but otherwise not happening.

Not only do you have to cut it, but then you have to file it (especially if using a jigsaw) and then either paint, or find somewhere that can re-anodize it black, or find the materials and the time to figure it out to do it yourself.

So ascribing the blanket theory of "outright laziness" to people doesn't work in this case.

Comment

Working...
                            X