Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractal Design Define S First Water Build

Hi Guys,

Saw a bunch of videos from DazMode on water cooling tutorials and decided for my first custom computer in probably 5 years I would try water cooling.
    I wanted a case for Game Development and as well as Entertainment. I also wanted the system to be quite. Lights are going to be a minimum as this computer will be on at night and it needs a low light bleed.

Here is a list of all the parts I got. The tube joints are Bitspower.

Computer Hardware
    • Intel Core i7-4790K
    • Kingston HyperX Predator
    • 16gb Dominator Platinum
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
    • MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ATX
    • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 PS

Cooling Hardware
    • Cross-Flow Dual LPX240 Extra Slim Radiator
    • NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 120mm
    • DazMode Maple Leaf Edition
    • None Chamfer PETG
    • D5 VARIO 8-24V Pump
    • Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150
    • EK-FC Titan X - Acetal
    • Gentle Typhoon Performance Radiator Fan
    • Bitspower D5 / MCP655 Mod Kit

Will post my initial build later. I am still waiting on the Graphics card to ship but should come this week!

Looks like a ton of fun is about to be had.
    to the forums.

Please note your first 6 posts will fall to automatic moderation If they contain any images or links in them. After that your in the clear of automatic moderation.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Welcome to the forum ! Great set of hardware there for sure, interested in seeing how the 256 PCIE drive works out. Will be a great first water-cooling rig !
      3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Looking forward to see how build will unveil.
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

welcome to the forum

I just ordered my first water cooling kit myself so stoked ;D
          Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 .:. PSU: Corsair AX760 .:. Mobo: Asus Maximus Gene VI .:. CPU: I5 4670K w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Plexi Water Block .:. Ram: 24gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600mhz .:. GPU: EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block .:. Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb & 1tb SSD .:. Rads: Darkside LPX360 & LP240 .:. Fans: 5x Noctua NF-F12 1x NF-S12A FLX .:. Pump/Res: EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Ryoku View Post
            welcome to the forum

I just ordered my first water cooling kit myself so stoked ;D
            Awesome I will check out your water cooling progress as well!

Comment

First attempt at bending went laughably bad. Bent the tube before it was soft enough the first time, then waited too long the second time. Had to saw off the remaining tube

Oh well live and learn

Comment

You need to be pulling a little on the tube as well as bending it to prevent wrinkles on the inside radius. You know the tube is soft enough when it starts to bend under it's own weight. Makes sure you warm a section long enough for the entire radius.

Learning by doing is best way.
                Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Here is a picture of just the computer parts together without any tubing (motherboard and radiators).
                  Was trying to get an idea how things were going to be laid out. Realized that maybe a crossflow radiator was not the best idea for this computer case. I did not want a radiator on the top as I preferred to reduce the potential noise coming from the case. I did not need the hard drive pci-e adapter as the board came with it's own M.2 slot, so I plugged it into the board directly. Makes for a really clean look

Once I had failed bending my first tube, I attempted to bend the tubing again. My goal was to connect the PEGI tube from the crossflow radiator to the reservoir. It was hard as my second bending attempted but I am really happy how it came out!

The other two tubes connecting to the processor (as also seen above) were a lot more easy to do.

Did not realize that the motor came with no screws. Had to go to home depot to get some bolts for 3 dollars.

I am really impressed with the PEGI tubing. I am happy I did not go with acrylic.
                  Next step is finishing the loop once the graphic card arrives!

Comment

you using an insert in your tube? Welcome to the forums.
                    Blackout
                    Something-New
                    Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Yea I am. I am using Monsoon Hardline Pro kit https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...-38-x-12-13mm/

Funny enough... The main reason why this tubing became so borked was because I accidentally got the insert stuck in the tube, so I had to melt the tubing again to get it out haha.

Comment

use soap and water wet your insert first it will come out no problem next time. A bowl some distilled water little dish soap, stir it up dip insert in first then insert do your bend .
                        Blackout
                        Something-New
                        Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

If you having a lot of trouble with the insert you can use olive oil to lube it as well, though it's a lot harder to get the oil out afterward then soap/water.
                          Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 .:. PSU: Corsair AX760 .:. Mobo: Asus Maximus Gene VI .:. CPU: I5 4670K w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Plexi Water Block .:. Ram: 24gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600mhz .:. GPU: EVGA GTX 780 TI Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block .:. Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb & 1tb SSD .:. Rads: Darkside LPX360 & LP240 .:. Fans: 5x Noctua NF-F12 1x NF-S12A FLX .:. Pump/Res: EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Comment

Haha thanks, will do that next time!

Comment

Graphics card arrived! I am hoping to finish the build tonight!

I bought some Distilled water from the Grocery Store. I have some Protector 100ml coolant additive. Is that going to be good enough to prevent corrosion and stop algae from forming?

Comment

Working...
                              X