No announcement yet.

Fractal Design Define S First Water Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I will try your suggestion tonight and see what comes of it. Do you think switching the fans on the 240mm raid around would be a good idea to make them pull air in?

Comment

what are the chances your not making good contact to the cpu, your vid temp seem in check, means your rads are working
      Blackout
      Something-New
      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

hmm I tried re-applying the coolant on the cpu already which only slightly increased the performance. I think it is related to the cooling, as even with the gpu the temp's slowly creep up and don't seem to stop. The longer I run it on load the hotter it gets and it never seems to stop going up. On my other computer I have had that was air cooled the temps would go up but then settle pretty quickly.

The Cores always stay within about 5 deg's of one another which both of these factors lead me to believe it's not a contact issue. I already redid the contact paste and it did improve the temps by about 10-15 deg's as they were hitting the 90's before.

The idle temps seem to run fine. Even with an open case they st at around 34 deg on the cpu which is fine.
        Last edited by kabe0; 07-30-2015, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Ok mounted the radiator to the top back of the case. Getting another two slot radiator for the front that is not a cross flow to manage the pipes better and bought a bunch of new tubing to connect it all. Sad to have to rework the lines but it's a good learning process

Comment

Got my new radiator. Put the case together yesterday. Will post some finished pictures tonight. The air flow is way better than before.

Comment

IMO your loop direction is also backwards. As far as heat loads go, you should be running lowest to highest heat loads for maximum effective cooling. As you have it now, your CPU is getting the warmer water from the GPU so it's not being cooled as efficiently.

Comment

the loop order has been proven to make no diff in temps, only that the pump has enough fluid to not run dry is important, that being said I usually hit cpu then gpu or 's .
                Blackout
                Something-New
                Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Originally posted by SurlyMohawk View Post
                  ....your CPU is getting the warmer water from the GPU so it's not being cooled as efficiently.
                  this is actually a common misconception.
                  looped water always reaches an equilibrium temperature ... so the water itself is never warmer or colder within specific sections of the loop.
                  HAF932 Mods
                  C70 Mods

Comment

Here is some images with the new layout. Temperatures are much better. Processor does not go above 58 degrees on full load with the graphics card running as well. Temps no longer slowly creep up over time.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

looking nice Kabe0, good to hear u got temps under control.
                      Blackout
                      Something-New
                      Sma8-Caselabs

Comment

Some pictures with some amateur lighting. Took these to show someone the radiator setup more clearly.

Comment

Nice. What is cup inside of the case for?
                          Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                          Venom Build: Build Log,
                          Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                          Orange Build: Final Video
                          HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
                            Nice. What is cup inside of the case for?
                            Haha that's a reflection because I have shitty lighting

Comment

Looks great. I'm a fan of these cases for pure WC builds. Nice first build. You went right into it, acrylic/PETG piping etc.... off the bat. Good job.

I have the MSI Z97M Gaming board and while I love the board, I find it mind boggling that MSI puts out a black/red board with white lighting and green LEDs.

I've put mine in non LED mode to just see the lighting from the case and the debug LEDs.

Gigabyte does the same thing with their gaming series.
                              DS340-E: Core I7 3770K Undervolted at 4.3Ghz, Asrock Z77 Extreme-3, 16GB of Adata XPG V2 gold RAM at 2200mhz, XFX R9 290 with EK water block and (I love) gold backplate, EK tubing, Bitspower and Darkside fittigs, Darkside RGB lighting with handy remote control, WD Black Dual (120GB SSD+1TB mechanical) hard disk, Swiftech PWM fan controller, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Comment

haha yea luckily it does not look that bright in person. I really like the look of the new msi white motherboard. I would laugh though if they decided to go with a red glow on the bottom of it...

My next project (A few months probably from now) I think is going to be making custom cable's with sleeving. I don't want to modify the existing ones as I would hate to mess up the cable and have no backup.

Comment

Working...
                                X